Do the Orioles give Jeter a parting gift?

throwingthings

I was at Ripken's last game in NYC. It was a very classy affair. I might still have a ticket around that I might find, scan and post here.

One has to assume the Os will return the tribute in kind to a worthy competitor.

I dislike Jeter, but sixth in hits all time is too amazing to disrespect.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck agrees on weams' Maier theme; per Roch....

Like every other team, the Orioles will give shortstop Derek Jeter a retirement gift during the Yankees' final trip here in September. Showalter suggested an enlarged photo of Jeffrey Maier from the 1996 American League Championship Series.

"I would give him a big picture of the home run," Showalter said. "Well, it wasn't a home run. We know that. That's what I'd give him. A big picture and have the whole Baltimore Orioles team sign it.

"That's a good idea. That's cheap, too, right? Make it in bronze or something. Not that we remember that at all."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/08/showalter-on-hardy-davis-and-more.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Like every other team, the Orioles will give shortstop Derek Jeter a retirement gift during the Yankees' final trip here in September. Showalter suggested an enlarged photo of Jeffrey Maier from the 1996 American League Championship Series.

"I would give him a big picture of the home run," Showalter said. "Well, it wasn't a home run. We know that. That's what I'd give him. A big picture and have the whole Baltimore Orioles team sign it.

"That's a good idea. That's cheap, too, right? Make it in bronze or something. Not that we remember that at all."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/08/showalter-on-hardy-davis-and-more.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It's the right thing. Better than a pike.

It would be classless not to. Although he probably has more hits against the O's than any other team. He has faced some pretty poor O pitching. In many ways he is like Cal, born near NY and STAYED with the team for his career. I will be extremely disappointed in the O's if they don't and more disappointed if fans boo him on his last swing through town, He is deserving a standing O each at bat.

It would be classless not to. Although he probably has more hits against the O's than any other team. He has faced some pretty poor O pitching. In many ways he is like Cal, born near NY and STAYED with the team for his career. I will be extremely disappointed in the O's if they don't and more disappointed if fans boo him on his last swing through town, He is deserving a standing O each at bat.

One standing O for his first at-bat of the series and one for his final at-bat. Anything more than that is a distraction and unnecessary.

Also, he grew up in Detroit, so it isn't the same as Cal being born and raised a native and being a part of the organization his entire life.

The mere fact WAR would make two guys like Grich and Jeter essentially dead even tells you exactly what use it has in terms of judging a career IMO. 1873 hits in 17 years for Grich, 3400 plus in 20 seasons for Jeters....the two guys are not even remotely close in terms of accomplishments and impact on the game. That does not even take into consideration post season. I hate the MFY, I appreciate great players and Jeter was a great one. Not Cal Ripken by a long shot but diminishing his accomplishments because he was not Cal is like being critical of Magic, Larry Bird or Lebron because at the end of the day they are not MJ.

Numbers matter, boiling down a career to a neat little number like WAR discounts the game and makes it a simple exercise in mathematics. 3000+ hits, a career avg greater than .300 and a OBP of .379....without a sniff of using any type of PED, those are numbers that Grich only wishes he could have gotten.

Derek Jeter's career OBP was .379 and the league OBP while he played was .337. Bobby Grich's career OBP was .371 and the league OBP while he played was .321. Bobby Grich's OBP compared to his peers was better than Jeter's. Also he played much better defense. Obviously Jeter's impact on the game was much greater, but OBP is not where you want to go to support your argument that Jeter was a superior player.

Love how he says "we" even though he was in Arizona at the time.

I assumed Buck meant "we" baseball fans everywhere (outside of NY). Or maybe he meant "we" as in "we who support fairness in professional sports." ;)

Good. This makes me think there's a decent chance of something in the Maier theme actually becoming reality.

It would make my year if the Orioles did something like that for Jeter.

Archived