Filling holes this Winter

El Gordo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then I would take both of them back at that price for only one year. They would giving up job security since they could decline and hit the open market the next year and receive less. The other thing is I can sign them to the QO and still work out a long term deal afterwards.

Do you want both of them on long term deals?

Hardy and Markakis are both resigned because they want to be Orioles and Buck wants them.

If they can resign Andrew Miller for 3/12M they will do it.

Christian Walker will be the DH replacing Cruz. Cruz will get a ton from some team as a free agent and the O's make a quality offer and get a draft choice.

Jimenez, Hunter and Matusz will all be traded. They will not get much for Jimenez but some team will want him come Jan or Feb and the O's get the contract off the books.

The O's will add a starter with options.

I don't know at 2B. I hope the O's promote De Jesus and he gets a look in Sept but I don't know if it will happen.

Catchers next year are Wieters and Joseph. Hundley's option not be picked up.

I like the way you think wildcard. I hope you are right. I never thought of

the Orioles trading Ubaldo. That is a brilliant idea and I hope the Orioles do it.

I guess I could live with the Orioles losing Nelson Cruz. However, I will be

very upset if the Orioles lose Hardy, Markakis or Miller.

I'd let Brian walk.

Try to trade Ubaldo.

Give Cruz and JJ a QO, but I think both will command better offers elsewhere.

I'd be tempted to give Nick a QO, but I'm afraid he would take it. Probably offer him a two year, 9 to 9.5 deal. If he doesn't take it, I'd let him walk.

Wieters I would try to trade, but coming back from injury, his value would probably be too low, so I'd hold on to him and try to trade him at the All-Star break.

I'd maybe try to trade one of Chen or Norris.

I'd let Brian walk.

Try to trade Ubaldo.

Give Cruz and JJ a QO' date=' but I think both will command better offers elsewhere.

I'd be tempted to give Nick a QO, but I'm afraid he would take it. Probably offer him a two year, 9 to 9.5 deal. If he doesn't take it, I'd let him walk.

Wieters I would try to trade, but coming back from injury, his value would probably be too low, so I'd hold on to him and try to trade him at the All-Star break.

I'd maybe try to trade one of Chen or Norris.[/quote']

That's a lot of subtraction in the "filling holes" thread. What's the addition?

Jimenez, Hunter and Matusz will all be traded. They will not get much for Jimenez but some team will want him come Jan or Feb and the O's get the contract off the books.

Sorry, I couldn't let this comment go unchallenged. Who on earth is going to want Jimenez this offseason? Nobody wanted him this past offseason for the price the O's paid for him -- and that's when he was coming off a good year, not the disaster he's been in 2014. He'll have three years and about $40 million remaining on his deal this winter.

If somebody actually wanted Ubaldo, they could've claimed him off waivers this month and the O's would've gladly let him go. Obviously, nobody did.

Do you have any reason -- other than the belief that miracles can occur -- for saying that somebody will want to trade for Jimenez?

Sorry, I couldn't let this comment go unchallenged. Who on earth is going to want Jimenez this offseason? Nobody wanted him this past offseason for the price the O's paid for him -- and that's when he was coming off a good year, not the disaster he's been in 2014. He'll have three years and about $40 million remaining on his deal this winter.

If somebody actually wanted Ubaldo, they could've claimed him off waivers this month and the O's would've gladly let him go. Obviously, nobody did.

Do you have any reason -- other than the belief that miracles can occur -- for saying that somebody will want to trade for Jimenez?

Miracles do occur, but that's beside the point. I don't think it's that far out there to think Jimenez could be packaged to a NL team looking to buy low on the possibility he returns to form.

I have to go pray.

Oh I think someone would want him if we paid them to take him off our hands.

Well, if he pitches like he did last night, no one will want him.

Over last winter no one signed him because there was a first round draft choice attached to him. Now the O's will probably have to take a bad contract in return for him in trade. The O's can't really afford to trade or accept a claim for him in August or September. If one of the other five starters is injured the O's need Ubaldo.

This winter DD will have to be creative to trade him, but then DD can be creative and the O's aren't a team that will eat a bunch of salary. They are more likely to take a bad contract back in trade.

Archived