Filling holes this Winter

El Gordo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's impossible to know with such uncertainty around Hardy, Markakis, and Cruz. I would offer Cruz and Hardy the QO. I would consider Hardy on a 3 year contract with a club option on a 4th year, at 12M per year. I would offer Markakis a 3 year contract in the 3/24 range.

I would guess that Hardy and Markakis both return. Cruz? Not so sure. These are questions that are best asked around November.

I like your thinking and the numbers you put out there for both Nick and JJ...would you QO both of them as well? I would, think it improves your negotiating position and provides some return if they are signed elsewhere. If they accept you may pay more but its a one year deal with limited liability.

Cruz I am on the fence with. I think he had a Davis like (last year CD) first half and has since come to earth. Would be willing to sign him again but not a fan of giving him any more than say 3 years also.

Well, if he pitches like he did last night, no one will want him.

Or like he has all season.

Over last winter no one signed him because there was a first round draft choice attached to him. Now the O's will probably have to take a bad contract in return for him in trade. The O's can't really afford to trade or accept a claim for him in August or September. If one of the other five starters is injured the O's need Ubaldo.

You've got to be kidding. If any team claimed Ubaldo on waivers, the Orioles would personally drive him to his new home city. It would be the easiest decision in O's history to let the claiming team take him and all of his salary, and the O's were probably praying that somebody would. Nobody did.

This winter DD will have to be creative to trade him, but then DD can be creative and the O's aren't a team that will eat a bunch of salary. They are more likely to take a bad contract back in trade.

The only team that would take Ubaldo and his entire contract is a team that would give the Orioles an even worse contract in return (like perhaps the Phillies with Ryan Howard, or the Twins with Ricky Nolasco). In that case, getting Ubaldo's contract off the books (as you claimed in your original post) would make no difference, since the O's would be taking on an even bigger one in return.

I'd keep the pitching staff minus Matusz.

For the lineup, keep Cruz and Nick, and let Hardy go.

Sign one of Headley or Pablo Sandoval while moving Manny to SS.

Move Walker to 1B and Davis to LF.

See. I think Headley stinks. And Pablo? Wow. Especially with Manny's knees, I think they days of moving him over are, well, over.

It's impossible to know with such uncertainty around Hardy, Markakis, and Cruz. I would offer Cruz and Hardy the QO. I would consider Hardy on a 3 year contract with a club option on a 4th year, at 12M per year. I would offer Markakis a 3 year contract in the 3/24 range.

I would guess that Hardy and Markakis both return. Cruz? Not so sure. These are questions that are best asked around November.

No one has ever accepted a QO. You think two of ours might? I guess. When I see one, I''ll see one.

edit: I see, you think we could work out contract, not get Qualifying offers accepted. Maybe true.

No one has ever accepted a QO. You think two of ours might? I guess. When I see one, I''ll see one.

edit: I see, you think we could work out contract, not get Qualifying offers accepted. Maybe true.

After what happened with Stephen Drew this last off season do you really think Hardy wouldn't accept the QO?? I think he would.

I would like to see the O's replace Markakis w/ Melky Cabrera. At this point, Cabrera is a better version of Markakis, and I don't think the cost will be much different.

I would attempt to resign Cruz. He's been our best all around hitter for most of the

year. He's a good bet for 30 HR and 80-90 RBI. Try to imagine our offense w/ Jones and a .700 OPS Davis (if he doesn't rebound) in the middle of the order, and its a scary thought. Han Ram could probably replace Cruz's production, but no way the O's take on a $20 mill per/$100 mill+ contract.

I would also try to resign Hardy. Han Ram is better, but too expensive for the O's. I don't think the difference is that big when you factor in Hardy's defense.

I would give Cruz and Hardy QOs. They are easily worth that much. I wouldn't give Markakis a QO because I don't think his production is worth even $10 mill/yr, Also, it would take an additional $2 mill to decline Markakis option. The funds should be there to keep Cruz & Hardy and add Melky with a playoff run.

I would like to see the O's replace Markakis w/ Melky Cabrera. At this point, Cabrera is a better version of Markakis, and I don't think the cost will be much different.

I would attempt to resign Cruz. He's been our best all around hitter for most of the

year. He's a good bet for 30 HR and 80-90 RBI. Try to imagine our offense w/ Jones and a .700 OPS Davis (if he doesn't rebound) in the middle of the order, and its a scary thought. Han Ram could probably replace Cruz's production, but no way the O's take on a $20 mill per/$100 mill+ contract.

I would also try to resign Hardy. Han Ram is better, but too expensive for the O's. I don't think the difference is that big when you factor in Hardy's defense.

I would give Cruz and Hardy QOs. They are easily worth that much. I wouldn't give Markakis a QO because I don't think his production is worth even $10 mill/yr, Also, it would take an additional $2 mill to decline Markakis option. The funds should be there to keep Cruz & Hardy and add Melky with a playoff run.

It is going to be pretty hard to replace one of the most popular, career long Orioles with a PED guy. I mean you could do it, IF Cabrera was a huge upgrade (which there is no way he is and he is a downgrade defensively). Nick is a huge favorite of Buck, and more importantly, Peter Angelos. Nick is not going anywhere. Cruz's best year of his career will be this first half of the season. He will be too expensive and will be mainly on the downside. I agree with the QOs to both he and Hardy, but I don't think either will accept them and if they do, then I am certainly OK with one year deals with both. I want them to sign Andrew Miller.

Or like he has all season.

You've got to be kidding. If any team claimed Ubaldo on waivers, the Orioles would personally drive him to his new home city. It would be the easiest decision in O's history to let the claiming team take him and all of his salary, and the O's were probably praying that somebody would. Nobody did.

The only team that would take Ubaldo and his entire contract is a team that would give the Orioles an even worse contract in return (like perhaps the Phillies with Ryan Howard, or the Twins with Ricky Nolasco). In that case, getting Ubaldo's contract off the books (as you claimed in your original post) would make no difference, since the O's would be taking on an even bigger one in return.

I suspect that the reason you and many others are ready to give Ubaldo away is that the O's have 5 starters that are better than he is. Its not a bad reason but I think the O's know better.

DD and Buck are well aware that they are one injury to a starter away from Ubaldo being a key piece for the O's pennant run. Its actually unusual that the starters are as healthy has they are. If you look a past seasons the starters have not been this healthy in most years.

Ubaldo had a decent run of effectiveness in May and June. No its not effectiveness that a lot people would recognize or be happy with but it was effectiveness never the less.

In May and June Ubaldo made 12 starts, pitched 68.2 IP to an ERA of 3.41. That is effectiveness for Ubaldo. No, he didn't have a winning record because the O's didn't score for him. No, he didn't go deep in games on an average basis, averaging just 5.7 IP per start. Yes, he walked too many.

However, if the O's didn't have 5 better starters they would be glad to have him starting every 5th day. And there is no reason to believe that given a start every 5th day Ubaldo couldn't do what he did in May and June now. He doesn't pitch well in April but May through September he can make a start every 5th day and give the team 5 2/3 IP with an ERA in the mid 3.00's.

Not that I am advocating that Ubaldo should be in the rotation. Fact is that the O's have 5 starters that are better.

I doubt that the O's keep Ubaldo for the 4 years. DD will find a way to trade him long before he completes the contract term. Not only do the O's have 5 better starters but have Bundy, Berry, Davies and Wilson coming in the next two years. Maybe a couple of those four could be cheap starters in the majors.

As far as DD only being able to take on a worst contract, I think you underestimate DD. He is a creative guy and I think he will find a way to trade for a less expensive solution. I don't know what it will be but I think DD can do that.

With the results of last season FA, there is much thought/talk around the league, that somebody is bound to take a QO this next go around.

I still believe they will fill one of the holes with one of the starters being traded. I think they bring back Markakis and then use Bud Norris as trade bait to bring in a younger less expensive guy at short with Manny staying at 3rd.

1. Markakis RF 12 M 3/36 new deal

2. Machado 3B 750K

3. Jones CF 13.3 M

4. Wieters C 8 M

5. Davis 1B 11 M

6. Pearce/Lough LF 1.5 M

7. Walker/Young DH 500 k

8. Schoop 2B 500 K

9. SS we trade for with Norris ? i think depends on how much they want to spend

Bench

Lough Joseph Young Flaherty or minor league signing 3 M

Rotation

1. Tilman 3 M

2. Chen 5 M

3. Gausman 500K

4. Gonzo 1.5 M

5. Jimminez 12. 2 M

Pen

Britton 2 M

O'day 4 M

Miller 5 M 3/15 contract

Webb 2.75 M

Brach 500K

Mcfarland 500k

Guilmet/Wright or someone like Brach we brought it 500K

That only puts us at 88 million minus the SS Maybe they will add a more proven DH or left fielder

I still believe they will fill one of the holes with one of the starters being traded. I think they bring back Markakis and then use Bud Norris as trade bait to bring in a younger less expensive guy at short with Manny staying at 3rd.

1. Markakis RF 12 M 3/36 new deal

2. Machado 3B 750K

3. Jones CF 13.3 M

4. Wieters C 8 M

5. Davis 1B 11 M

6. Pearce/Lough LF 1.5 M

7. Walker/Young DH 500 k

8. Schoop 2B 500 K

9. SS we trade for with Norris ? i think depends on how much they want to spend

Bench

Lough Joseph Young Flaherty or minor league signing 3 M

Rotation

1. Tilman 3 M

2. Chen 5 M

3. Gausman 500K

4. Gonzo 1.5 M

5. Jimminez 12. 2 M

Pen

Britton 2 M

O'day 4 M

Miller 5 M 3/15 contract

Webb 2.75 M

Brach 500K

Mcfarland 500k

Guilmet/Wright or someone like Brach we brought it 500K

That only puts us at 88 million minus the SS Maybe they will add a more proven DH or left fielder

The team I would look to make a trade with would be the White Sox their pitching is horrible and they could use an inning eater besides Sale.

How about a trade centering around Norris and getting back Alexi from the Sox. He is owed 10 million next season with another clob option at the same price.

See. I think Headley stinks. And Pablo? Wow. Especially with Manny's knees, I think they days of moving him over are, well, over.

What's wrong with Pablo? ESPN named him defensive player of the month for July, and he's got a career 125 OPS+. Remember, he plays half his games in SF.

And why would Manny's knee injuries have anything to do with him changing positions? 3rd base is a more dangerous position to play.

Archived