Filling holes this Winter

El Gordo

We have three FA spots to fill this winter RF,SS and DH. We won't go FA for all three, maybe none of them, but who are the best FA options at these positions?

COF :

Yasmani Tomas

Melky Cabrera

Cuddyer

Aoki

Gomes

or Markakis

SS:

HanRam

Drew

Asdrubal Cabrera

or Hardy

DH:

Cruz

Martinez

Morales

or Delmon Young. Who would you choose if any?

Well I still take Nick in RF and Hardy at SS. At DH I am not

sure. I do like Cruz but I doubt they resign him. IMO

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See my above post. I believe strongly the Orioles will re-sign Nick (and I hope maybe Andrew) If we do let Nick go we would likely internally go with Alvarez (or combined with Urrutia, Lough, etc.). I would let JJ walk and move Manny to ss. I would move Davis to 3b if Walker is raking and is ready for first. I am OK with DH being a shared role if we don't trade Wieters as we could use him there a fair amount, Davis there at times, Pearce at times. We are not going to be able to re-sign Cruz at any reasonable deal, imho. So, no Cruz, Hardy and probably trading Wieters. If we trade Wieters, then depending on the return, an additional bat might have to signed.
So you would have Nick in RF and Alverez/Pearce/Henry in LF, Delmon/ Henry/Wieters at DH, Davis at 3B, Walker at 1B, and Manny at SS? Boy the left side of the IF is taking a big hit on defense.

DH: Matt Wieters. Matt to d/h 60-70% and in a ten day stretch he would play 1b once and catch once (against non running team). As the season goes on, he would catch more. Clevenger becomes the b/u catcher and a l/h bat on the bench.

So you are saying an All-start catcher, who throws out runners like it's his job (it really is)... should DH and play 1B?

I am sorry thats just dumb.

So you are saying an All-start catcher, who throws out runners like it's his job (it really is)... should DH and play 1B?

What's an all start catcher? Is it a guy who starts all the games? Is it anything like an All Star catcher?

Gordo said he would catch more as the season goes on. I am not claiming to know exactly what Gordo meant, but I think its due to Wieters coming back from TJ and easing him in. Could be wrong, but thats how I read it.

Gordo said he would catch more as the season goes on. I am not claiming to know exactly what Gordo meant, but I think its due to Wieters coming back from TJ and easing him in. Could be wrong, but thats how I read it.

Where did I say that? Not in this thread. but I do think Caleb will start the first month and Matt will be back sometime in May. He will gradually take over the starting job as his arm strength improves. Mean time he will see a lot of time at DH.

Where did I say that? Not in this thread. but I do think Caleb will start the first month and Matt will be back sometime in May. He will gradually take over the starting job as his arm strength improves. Mean time he will see a lot of time at DH.

Oops you're right I got you mixed up. Exchange Gordo for Richmond Bird 9. I guess your name was in my head because you started the thread! Apologies! didn't mean to put words in your mouth you didn't say.

Although I do agree with how Wieters will be handled coming back from his injury.

First we don't know his throwing arm is going to be. Second, I look how the pitchers have pitched with Caleb. I also said as Matt gets stronger, he plays more games at catcher.

First we don't know his throwing arm is going to be. Second, I look how the pitchers have pitched with Caleb. I also said as Matt gets stronger, he plays more games at catcher.

I don't see any reason why Matt will not be ready to go next year of course barring any set backs in rehab.

Also, I do not think Caleb has secured himself a spot on the roster next season just yet. If Matt has a setback and is going be out for 1-2 months of 2015 I believe they will most likely look at other options. If Caleb continues to improve sure he could def be the backup next year but I don't think anything is set in stone. Especially since Buck and Dan have already thought about it just too far a long in the season to change out catchers.

As far as Clevenger... well I think they have seen enough of him. His poor defense / arm will never keep him up here.

The Orioles need to resign Hardy, Markakis, Cruz and Miller. The reason you sign Nelson Cruz to a two year deal is because the Orioles can't count on Chris Davis. Imagine how bad the Orioles offense would have been in the first half if the Orioles had not signed Nelson.

J.J Hardy is not going to want huge dollars and he enjoys playing for the Orioles. Sign him to a two or three year deal.

Nick Markakis is Mr. Oriole if you ask me. He is the Orioles most consistent hitter. He has been for most of his career. I would sign Nick to a two year deal with a option for a third year. The Orioles would have to kick Nick out of town for him to want to leave because he bleeds orange and black.

The Orioles also need to resign Andrew Miller because he makes the Orioles bullpen absolutely dominant. He will sign with a playoff contender like Boston or Detroit if the Orioles don't sign him.

Archived