vs. RAYS, 9/05

OFFNY

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice job getting out of it. Chen sucks, he's got nothing, he's the most frail pitcher in baseball when he throws 20 pitches in an inning and he's completely useless at 90 pitches. I am glad the O's win in spite of him being so bad all the time. :rolleyes:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Well I think Szymborski would say those ZIPs numbers are 50th percentile but even the 80th percentile had Gunnar at 148 OPS+ and 6.2 fWAR (link to O’s preseason write up on fangraphs)
    • Is this an attempt at a joke? A troll post? Something else? ... I'm not sure what to do with such a preposterous notion (unless it was stated in jest).
    • Baseball America has Honeycutt going 12 but things could change. 12. Red Sox — Vance Honeycutt, OF, North Carolina This is around the range where the class is just wide open with little to no consensus. It does seem like Boston could be a fit for Honeycutt though, who is sort of like a college version of Konnor Griffin. The tools are excellent and his power/speed combination is probably second to none in this class, but his hit tool questions persist and he’s nearing a 30% strikeout rate for the second season in his UNC career.    26. Yankees — Dakota Jordan, OF, Mississippi State If you wanted to make a case that Dakota Jordan should be a lot closer to UNC’s Vance Honeycutt, I wouldn’t argue with you too much. Like most of the players in the back third of this mock, there’s lots of split-camp opinions on Jordan who has probably the best pure bat speed in this class and gargantuan raw power but real contact questions. His raw power stacks up with the likes of Charlie Condon and Jac Caglianone. He’s slashing .376/.500/.780 with 15 home runs in the SEC but he also has a 26.4% career strikeout rate and is not a great defender or base stealer despite plus speed.  Honeycutt is slashing .313/.419/.681 with 16 homers and 22 stolen bases and has more than 50 homers and 70 bags in his three-year career while playing an excellent center field. There’s a huge range of opinions on where Honeycutt fits but for now I’ll keep him toward the higher end thanks to his tools and premium defensive profile. 
    • His performance had nothing at all to do with a blister as far as anyone knows. You don’t IL a non-injured player.    He probably had too many days off, that was at least part of his issue. 8 days b/w starts is an eternity for a starter. That won’t be an issue again for a long while, maybe all season, even with the Sox man rotation, given the dearth of off days upcoming. 
    • Better and deeper hitting quality is a bigger factor than batting order.  But I still want my dynamic hitters getting more PAs.
    • Gunnar’s giving us something to dream on and certainly on pace for one of the best seasons in O’s history, but “greatest” is such a high bar 91 Ripken = 10.6 fWAR // 11.0 bWAR (MVP) 84 Ripken = 9.8 fWAR // 10.0 bWAR 83 Ripken = 8.5 fWAR // 8.2 bWAR (MVP) 66 Frank = 8.2 fWAR // 7.7 bWAR (MVP, triple crown) 64 Brooks = 8.1 fWAR // 8.1 bWAR (MVP) Link to O’s single season leaders for position players on bb-reference Now if narrowing to best season since Ripken’s historic 1991 campaign, the competition there is arguably (ignoring pitchers, ie Mussina) 15 Machado = 6.6 fWAR // 7.5 bWAR 96 Brady = 6.9 fWAR // 6.9 bWAR 08 Markakis = 6.1 fWAR // 7.4 bWAR 13 Crush = 7.0 fWAR // 7.1 bWAR
    • Yes, but for me that is one of the biggest challenges in baseball especially for a starting pitcher, how do you handle the outings when you don't have your best stuff. Also want to say, excellent thread title.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now