Papelbon gives up 4 runs, ejected, suspended

Spy Fox

I laugh at Papelbon, and am not defending him. So glad we didn't pick him up during the season by the way. But Joe West cannot be allowed to put his hands on him. West needs to be disciplined too.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB announces Joe West has been suspended 1 game without pay for grabbing Jonathan Papelbon’s jersey during Sunday’s game.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

">September 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One game! One flippin game!

I laugh at Papelbon, and am not defending him. So glad we didn't pick him up during the season by the way. But Joe West cannot be allowed to put his hands on him. West needs to be disciplined too.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB announces Joe West has been suspended 1 game without pay for grabbing Jonathan Papelbon?s jersey during Sunday?s game.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

I think that I would pay money to watch Joe West grab the now-retired Latrell Sprewell by his jersey, just to see what might happen.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB announces Joe West has been suspended 1 game without pay for grabbing Jonathan Papelbon?s jersey during Sunday?s game.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

Yeah. Even though I am obviously no Papelbon fan (given I started this thread), it seems odd that West would get only one game to Papelbon's seven. You can't grab/push players.

o

Also, West didn't just grab Papelbon once.

He grabbed and pushed him several times.

If he ever does it again, I think we may see a rare case of a player attacking an umpire. I remember when Bill Madlock shoved his glove in an umpire's face back in 1980.

o

Also, West didn't just grab Papelbon once.

He grabbed and pushed him several times.

If he ever does it again, I think we may see a rare case of a player attacking an umpire. I remember when Bill Madlock shoved his glove in an umpire's face back in 1980.

P.S. I'm not insinuating that the situation of West shoving and grabbing Papelbon was in any way similar to "Mad Dog" Madlock's shoving his glove into the face of umpire Jerry Crawford, rather I was citing an example of when a player attacked an umpire, which (as far as I know) does not happen very often.

Suspending West is ridiculous. He's just supposed to let Papelbon get up in his face like that?

Yes he is.

If players can't put their hands on umps (rightly so) then umps can't put their hands on players.

Are you telling me you have never seen an ump (maybe even cowboy Joe) get right into the face of a player? Is that player allowed to grab the ump?

I think West should be fired. He is consistently an embarrassment to his fellow umpires and he is the epitome of an ump trying to make the game about him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB announces Joe West has been suspended 1 game without pay for grabbing Jonathan Papelbon’s jersey during Sunday’s game.</p>— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="

I'm surprised and encouraged at ANY action. Baby steps.

Yes he is.

If players can't put their hands on umps (rightly so) then umps can't put their hands on players.

Are you telling me you have never seen an ump (maybe even cowboy Joe) get right into the face of a player? Is that player allowed to grab the ump?

I think West should be fired. He is consistently an embarrassment to his fellow umpires and he is the epitome of an ump trying to make the game about him.

Yeah, I disagree. I'd have to see it but it sounds like he was trying to hold him off from what I read. The guy has a right to protect himself, whether or not he's been an embarrassment in the past should have no bearing.

If he was the aggressor that's one thing, but it didn't sound like it to me.

Archived