The O's have the better pitching

wildcard

Yet, we had our lowest ERA of any month this season in September, without Machado (2.67).

We still gave up 12 unearned runs in 30 days against teams that had mailed it in.

For fun this is who we played, and their batting average for the month:

Minn: 1 (.267)

Cinncy: 3 ( .223)

TB : 3 ( .235)

Bos: 6 (.249)

NYY: 8 (.224)

TOR: 6 (.255)

Color me not impressed by cherry picked numbers. We have made the 2nd most errors at 3B in the league...and a lot of them came in Sept.

I am not trying to be a FIP salesmen, just calling out obvious flaws with stats that are obvious.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We still gave up 12 unearned runs in 30 days against teams that had mailed it in.

Color me not impressed by cherry picked numbers. We have made the 2nd most errors at 3B in the league...and a lot of them came in Sept.

I am not trying to be a FIP salesmen, just calling out obvious flaws with stats that are obvious.

I think Flaherty will get the starts at 3B and will be more solid there than Paredes and Johnson were. I realize that Flash made 3 errors at 3B in September, but I think he can and will do better than that in the postseason. He is no Manny Machado, of course; nobody is.

By the way, Sept. errors at 3B:

Flaherty 3

Paredes 3

Johnson 1

Davis 1

Pretty horrible.

I expect Verlander to throw 130 pitches in game 2 if he's on. All of their top 3 are work horses. No reason to think they will send them to the showers after 105 pitches if they are getting outs.

We are rightfully significant underdogs. The Tigers are good enough to scratch some runs across. If the Tigers aces are lights out, it could be over before You know it.

I just hope the rest was worth missing a legit shot at the number 1 seed.

But this is what we live for, yeah?

Those numbers are a bit misleading. Minn and Toronto hit really well in September, both were in the top 5 of the AL. MLB average by team was .249 in September. It's a different offensive era.

I expect Verlander to throw 130 pitches in game 2 if he's on. All of their top 3 are work horses. No reason to think they will send them to the showers after 105 pitches if they are getting outs.

We are rightfully significant underdogs. The Tigers are good enough to scratch some runs across. If the Tigers aces are lights out, it could be over before You know it.

I just hope the rest was worth missing a legit shot at the number 1 seed.

But this is what we live for, yeah?

They better be because if the O's get into their bullpen they are dead.

Scherzer is really the only one of their starters that is scary to me.

ERA is almost antiquated amongst the baseball intelligentsia though. Our ERA was without a doubt boosted by outstanding defense from Machado that is no longer there.

A high strikeout pitcher pitching 2 games is terrifying too.

FIP salesmen don't usually have a lot of luck around here.

Nor should they. It's a losing cause.

It's mindboggling how so many people assume the Tigers have better starting pitching. Let's look at the stats further. Here are two listings of all ten starting pitchers for the Orioles and Tigers, in order, since Allstar Break and in September. I've bolded the Oriole pitchers. If we judge the pitching now by past years, the Tigers have the advantage. If we judge the pitching now by how they are doing now, the Orioles have a huge advantage.

SINCE ALLSTAR BREAK

Gonzalez 2.19

Tillman 2.33

Chen 2.76

Scherzer 2.87

Norris 3.22

Porcello 3.48

Price 3.59

Gausman 3.72

Verlander 3.97

Lobstein 4.35

SEPTEMBER