On the Issue of Seven Nation Army

nattyboh

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see your point, but I think it's been awesome when they say "Fans we are now joining the national broadcast...." and they play the Seven Nation Army song and the orange towels wave. It's a beautiful sight after the doom and gloom over the past decade and a half. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

I'm also not a fan of the towels. Yes it does look cool, but it also makes me feel like a Steeler fan.

Couldn't they create an app or something where everyone downloaded it, held up their phone and the app would do some weird patterns based upon where You were sitting?

or Rally Monkeys? Or kazoo's? The towels and the chant seem so vapid.

I'm also not a fan of the towels. Yes it does look cool, but it also makes me feel like a Steeler fan.

Couldn't they create an app or something where everyone downloaded it, held up their phone and the app would do some weird patterns based upon where You were sitting?

I don't mind the towels so much, but that chant... vapid's a good word for it. We need something better or at least more original.

LMFAO. Holy chit brah. Just spit out my coffee.

f8165c24418b7c40a0fbd7d0b34c489a8a5295e962191a2eb432b8b66890728e.jpg

I think that's the key with the bright orange towel. When 48,000 people are swinging them it's looks pretty darn cool. It's the same reason the Orioles should have orange outs in the stands and never a "black out". Safety cones and signs have a orange back for a reason. It's easy to see.

I'm indifferent to the seven nation army chant, but the fans like it and they do it loud.

I'll say this for those of us who have attended the playoff games....we don't need no stinkin' scoreboard to tell us when to cheer. There have been numerous times where we've had a solid "Let's Go O's" or "We won't stop" chant going strong, only for the scoreboard and sound system to halt us with the Seven Nation Army or other scoreboard type trained monkey chants!

Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff too, but in the playoffs we haven't needed it. We got this under control, thank you very much!

As for Orioles Magic, it's only the Greatest Song EVER! They play it for our wins, shortly after Chuck announces "Ain't the beer cold!" At the Pickles/Bullpen/Sliders party on Saturday they were rocking the Orioles Magic as well.

I wouldn't mind one of those video packages mid game having the Orioles Magic song playing with highlights of the current Birds mixed in with the Championship teams of the past. That would definitely fire up the crowd!

And I also liked the "It feels like Summer in Octoooooooooooooooober!" Never heard that before. Is it a real song, or did they make it up for that highlight package?

I'll say this for those of us who have attended the playoff games....we don't need no stinkin' scoreboard to tell us when to cheer. There have been numerous times where we've had a solid "Let's Go O's" or "We won't stop" chant going strong, only for the scoreboard and sound system to halt us with the Seven Nation Army or other scoreboard type trained monkey chants!

Don't get me wrong, I like that stuff too, but in the playoffs we haven't needed it. We got this under control, thank you very much!

I loathe the 7NA chant, but I've made that known before so I won't go too far into that.

But what Dipper said above is 100% correct. I get that they need to try to fire up the crowd a bit in some of those games during the seaon where the place isn't packed. But there's no need to try to get some artificial cheering going when the stadium is already all amped up. Let the crowd do its thing.

While we're on the topic of crowd behavior, a couple of other pet peeves:

i) I think the We Won't stop chants during the ALDS were truly incredible. They started up after we had taken leads in both games and when we were getting into Detroit's head about how they just can't keep us down. In games 1 and 2 of the ALCS I feel it has been completely overused - being used when we are trailing or in a tie game, and bottom line is, we have stopped after chanting this. Maybe it's just me, but I liked it much better as a "rub it in" type chant, not as a motivational chant.

ii) Standing up for two strikes. Considering the number of two strikes hits given up in Games 1 and 2, it genuinely feels like it's bad luck to stand up and clap with two strikes. Again, maybe I'm insane and superstitious, but I wish we'd stop this other than for the last out of a game...

Also, a question that some on here may have some insight into: Does loud crowd noise and waving towels help or hurt a) our pitchers and b) our hitters. I'd imagine in some instances it can be a distraction and make it tough to focus.

Archived