The Orioles have claimed OF Alex Hassan off waivers from Oakland.

Greg

C'mon now... this is a guy who's going to be 27 next year. He has 9 MLB PAs. He's played one season in his life where he got on the field more than 115 games. He has Nick's ISO, as a 26-year-old in AAA. I have no idea if he can field, but I'll guess if he was a GG candidate he wouldn't have 9 MLB PAs at 26.

It's strange how Markakis has fallen to the point where folks are suggesting AAA journeymen waiver claims could step in and do his job with little or no falloff.

My take is that he might get a shot in the spring at being Lough's or De Aza's platoon partner at 5% the cost of Markakis.

That would make sense. Or he could be Delmon.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C'mon now... this is a guy who's going to be 27 next year. He has 9 MLB PAs. He's played one season in his life where he got on the field more than 115 games. He has Nick's ISO, as a 26-year-old in AAA. I have no idea if he can field, but I'll guess if he was a GG candidate he wouldn't have 9 MLB PAs at 26.

It's strange how Markakis has fallen to the point where folks are suggesting AAA journeymen waiver claims could step in and do his job with little or no falloff.

My take is that he might get a shot in the spring at being Lough's or De Aza's platoon partner at 5% the cost of Markakis.

This was my thought. Highly unlikely he's a regular. But you might get a cheap, peak-age platoon partner for 2-3 years. The Orioles needed a right-handed outfield bat and some OBP. He could fill the role if his skills translate. I like it.

This was my thought. Highly unlikely he's a regular. But you might get a cheap, peak-age platoon partner for 2-3 years. The Orioles needed a right-handed outfield bat and some OBP. He could fill the role if his skills translate. I like it.

In that case maybe a Reimold replacement more than anything.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hassan has options. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> like him vs LHP</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is funny how do the O's know this? Get back to me when he hits MLB LH pitching.

It's possible. He has more-or-less the same resume as Cord Phelps did a year ago, only that Phelps was a second baseman and Hassan is an outfielder.

<iframe height="164" title="Embedded Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no" style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; width: 500px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" allowTransparency="true" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

This is funny how do the O's know this? Get back to me when he hits MLB LH pitching.

Just a guess, but... scouts. Stats. Reports. Video. If he already had an extensive record of hitting MLB lefties he wouldn't be on waivers, and someone would pay $2M for him. And he probably wouldn't be available to play for the Norfolk Tides.

Do you believe the Orioles now have a budget large enough to always let other teams vet their acquisitions and drive up their prices?<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameBorder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hit a third of them in AAA last year. Who do you think the pitchers are that pitch the sixth inning on in two thirds of the teams. Even the Yankees. Do you think before you say these things? Milb success is a major predictor of major league value.

Hit a third of them in AAA last year. Who do you think the pitchers are that pitch the sixth inning on in two thirds of the teams. Even the Yankees. Do you think before you say these things? Milb success is a major predictor of major league value.

Just because Bill James wrote and pretty well proved that point in 1982 doesn't mean that news has filtered everywhere just yet. Some folks still believe that minor league numbers are just made up and have no correlation to talent.

Just because Bill James wrote and pretty well proved that point in 1982 doesn't mean that news has filtered everywhere just yet. Some folks still believe that minor league numbers are just made up and have no correlation to talent.

And that players who are paid less than 100s of millions are not valuable.

Yeah, 85% is probably high. In my defense, I really just wanted to post the Bugs Bunny clip.

I guess people remember the times when players don't translate minor league to major league success, and forget all the times when it does happen.

Looks like this signing is another Dan Duquette special. With a spot open on the 40-man, there's no downside. :thumbsup1:

It's strange that fans of playoff teams that featured Jimmy Paredes, Nate McLouth, Lew Ford, Ryan Flaherty, Brad Brach, and Caleb Joseph routinely mock waiver acquisitions and depth signings.

It's been Duquette's biggest strength. Let's not forget Miguel Gonzalez and Wei-Yin Chen.

Archived