Buy Low Kris Medlen?

Greg

I like how the examples that were named were all relief pitchers.

Sign me up for three plus months of either out of the bullpen, assuming their recoveries are on track. Beachy even comes with an extra year of control we can use if he turns out to be healthy. I'd assume they're both gonna be looking for teams that will guarantee them starting opportunities once they're back though, so we'll probably be out-of-luck with having a glut of currently healthy starters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would consider both Medlen and Beachy for minor league deal, but that is strictly based on not knowing how they are progressing through rehab

They're risky, but these 2 were TOR pitchers - too good to just give minor league deals at this point. Hopefully, the science has improved, and 2nd time TJ surgery survivors can make it back more often. Give one of them an incentive-laden low base contract. I'm a big Medlen fan, and Beachy appeared to be a legit stud.

Why would we not? DD is always looking for diamonds in the rough, and here you have to TOR starters who certainly fit that mold. Sign them to 2 year incentive laden deals, start them in the minors, and they can give you trade chips at the July deadline, or protection next year if have of our staff opts for free agency.

Why would we not? DD is always looking for diamonds in the rough, and here you have to TOR starters who certainly fit that mold. Sign them to 2 year incentive laden deals, start them in the minors, and they can give you trade chips at the July deadline, or protection next year if have of our staff opts for free agency.

Why not? It's possible that these guys' past successes invite competition that drives their prices beyond a reasonable assessment of their future value/risk. I'd imagine Duquette would be open to Santana-like deals for either or both, but they may be looking for more, or they might just want a similar deal in their home organizations.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Medlen two-year deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> worth $8.5M - $2M, $5.5M plus $10M mutual option with $1M buyout if either party declines.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not a bad deal if he can pitch a full season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Medlen two-year deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a> worth $8.5M - $2M, $5.5M plus $10M mutual option with $1M buyout if either party declines.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not a bad deal if he can pitch a full season.

Wow, that is a great deal for the Royals. It's 8.5M over 2 years so who cares if he sucks, but if he becomes the pitcher he once was make out like a bandit.

Archived