J Upton...(Traded to SD)

srh523

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure they'll offset it just as much with the horrible defense they'll play. It's great scoring runs, it's not great when 3 of your OF will give them back. Even Upton is a below average defender.

Incredible to me that they will go with Kemp in CF. Upton should be fine in LF. I'd guess Myers to RF.

Yeah, maybe it's the diminishing returns concept in reverse. I have always thought there was something to that with defense to some degree. We'll see how it goes I guess.

I always called it the bad video game strategy. Rate everyone 1-10 on defense, with one being a bad regular at whatever position, 10 being the best. Then you can take, say, Jason Giambi and put him in center or at short and he'll never cost you more than the worst regular at that position while providing far better offense.

I always called it the bad video game strategy. Rate everyone 1-10 on defense, with one being a bad regular at whatever position, 10 being the best. Then you can take, say, Jason Giambi and put him in center or at short and he'll never cost you more than the worst regular at that position while providing far better offense.

Well, I don't think it's to that degree, although this Myers idea in CF sounds close. That said individual component defense and team defense aren't additive. Several years ago SEA stacked premier defensive players and it didn't work out for them very well in the end.

WAR to me is just over exaggerated because if a team is good as a whole and can continue to win with their star player out, it hurts the WAR that player and can be fools gold.

For example. Let's say the Os were to.20-4 then Jones gets hurt abs they pull off 10 in a row without him his WAR drops and suggests he's not that good. It's a BS stat

Thats.... now how it works at all.

Archived