Casey Stern "O's ownership doesn't want to win they just want your money"

sambowen

The problem situation I have is the Markakis one. Pulling the four year offer off the table for only a three is not the way I want my team to treat a "home grown" player. Matching the Braves offer would not have killed us financially and is what I feel most the the fans want. Nick was a face of the franchise and obviously not as "replaceable" as has been described on many of these threads. I understand how Cruz and Miller get away but I think Nick was a unique situation and should have been hammered out.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem situation I have is the Markakis one. Pulling the four year offer off the table for only a three is not the way I want my team to treat a "home grown" player. Matching the Braves offer would not have killed us financially and is what I feel most the the fans want. Nick was a face of the franchise and obviously not as "replaceable" as has been described on many of these threads. I understand how Cruz and Miller get away but I think Nick was a unique situation and should have been hammered out.

You really want to sign a guy to a long term contract whos going to have neck surgery a couple weeks after?

Letting Markakis go was the smart move. And he is easily replaceable. I don't know where this idea that a .270/15 home run guy is somehow the cornerstone of the franchise came from.

You really want to sign a guy to a long term contract whos going to have neck surgery a couple weeks after?

Letting Markakis go was the smart move. And he is easily replaceable. I don't know where this idea that a .270/15 home run guy is somehow the cornerstone of the franchise came from.

So far DD has failed to do it and all of the top rated outfielders are gone. They cant trade for one since the team doesnt want part with an SP from the 6 we had last year or Bundy/Harvey.

So far DD has failed to do it and all of the top rated outfielders are gone. They cant trade for one since the team doesnt want part with an SP from the 6 we had last year or Bundy/Harvey.

We already have DeAza on the roster, who has put up near identical the last 3 years. I'm not of the thought we NEED to sign someone to replace him. Maybe Cruz, but not Markakis.

Can people stop whining about Markakis? The O's medical staff deemed him a risk. He was a risk. We can talk about Cruz until the cows come home, but please stop whining about Nick.

My complaint isnt about Nick ...its about the inability to replace him. They havent yet and wont through free agency as the good outfielders are gone.

Listening to 105.7 tonight and Casey Stern from MLB Network was on. He repeated what a lot O's fans like me feel. He said " O's ownership doesn't want to win they just want your money." I am pleading with the moderators not to delete my post. I know I am get attacked by the apologists who think we are just fine losing the arguably best reliever in club history, a gold glove right fielder, and the AL home run champ. No one in the local media has the guts to call out Angelos like this. They are all afraid of losing their advertising. That is how King Peter works. Kudos to Casey Stern !!!

No one (except for Weams, who was assuring you that your post would not be deleted) has quoted you.

I don't see anyone "attacking" you.

However, every thread that you have ever started ......

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1058171

has been some type of negative take on the front office and/or the team, including one about "Reliving Angelos' Destruction of the Franchise", which was from an article that you pulled up ...... from 1999.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138421-Rosenthal-reliving-Angelos-destruction-of-the-franchise

So, I suspect that you may be looking to "get attacked," and then complain about how persecuted you are.

Question: how come Nick's neck wasn't an issue until it suddenly became an issue. I believe that some people in Os management wanted to pull back and let Nick walk, and that's why contract talks stalled.
[see link below] "I?m sure that [the neck MRI] had everything to do with it," Markakis said of the stalled negotiations with the Orioles. "I've been doing this for a long time now, and I know when my body feels right and when it feels wrong and what I need to do. We've been talking to the doctors and there are no symptoms that I have now.

"I just felt confident that I would be able to get back in time. Whether or not that is the whole deal with why they didn?t [sign me] or not, who knows? But the doctors in Atlanta are confident enough in it that [the Braves] gave me $44 million and are confident enough knowing that I'll be able to get back on the field. And, for me, that's all that really matters. I will be out there playing again, and I'll be able to do it with no worries."

When asked if he thought there were other reasons why the Orioles didn't push harder for Markakis to return, he said, "I don't know. To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever know. Overall, I can't pinpoint it, I don't know. Some people do know, but I don't. It is what it is. I have to deal with where I am now. You can't change the past, and I'm not going to start now."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-nick-markakis-discusses-leaving-the-orioles-neck-surgery-and-dinner-with-trembley-20141215-story.html#page=1

My complaint isnt about Nick ...its about the inability to replace him. They havent yet and wont through free agency as the good outfielders are gone.

Markakis is easily replaceable. His numbers over the last couple years have been relatively pedestrian. He's about a 1-1.5 win player at this point in his career. He's slow. He doesn't have much range. He still has a hell of an arm. And his patience is really his only value with the bat as his power has taken a zap. I think De Aza/Pearce can easily replace Nick in RF, IMHO.

Do you really want to give an injury risk player $10m+ over the next 4 years into his mid 30's?

Question: how come Nick's neck wasn't an issue until it suddenly became an issue. I believe that some people in Os management wanted to pull back and let Nick walk, and that's why contract talks stalled.
[see link below] “I’m sure that [the neck MRI] had everything to do with it,” Markakis said of the stalled negotiations with the Orioles. “I’ve been doing this for a long time now, and I know when my body feels right and when it feels wrong and what I need to do. We’ve been talking to the doctors and there are no symptoms that I have now.

"I just felt confident that I would be able to get back in time. Whether or not that is the whole deal with why they didn’t [sign me] or not, who knows? But the doctors in Atlanta are confident enough in it that [the Braves] gave me $44 million and are confident enough knowing that I’ll be able to get back on the field. And, for me, that’s all that really matters. I will be out there playing again, and I’ll be able to do it with no worries.”

When asked if he thought there were other reasons why the Orioles didn’t push harder for Markakis to return, he said, “I don’t know. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ll ever know. … Overall, I can’t pinpoint it, I don’t know. Some people do know, but I don’t. It is what it is. I have to deal with where I am now. You can’t change the past, and I’m not going to start now.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-nick-markakis-discusses-leaving-the-orioles-neck-surgery-and-dinner-with-trembley-20141215-story.html#page=1

Because the medical staff comes into play? Why are most contracts pending a physical? Why did the Grant Balfour talks fizzle after there was a contract on the table? Because there was a medical risk. And low and behold, he was a disaster last year. Velocity down, dead arm, control all over the place.

The true story is that payroll has went up every year as the O's have won. Dan has made acquisitions during the year to improve the club...which has also resulted in an increased payroll.

Are you in the budget meetings at the warehouse? So really you dont know what Dan has asked for anymore than I do. They let two of their most expensive players walk rather than resign them. They've signed or traded for no one to replace them.

Just like McPhail, DD claims to have plenty of resources to resign guys and yet he's done nothing except say that he is more likely to trade for replacements....when that didnt work he changed and said they would more likely sign an outfielder or two. The ones that are worth having are all gone now. Sounds to me like the same double talk that we heard from the previously mentioned GM.

In his past GM roles Dan showed the ability to trade and also sign key players. Here he's been Dumpster diving (aka searching for bargains). Some work like Cruz did this past season and most don't (Ulbaldo so far). I cant believe he prefers this strategy to bringing in some real talent.

Weams the great part of this debate is that we can agree to disagree. I dont see me being convinced anymore than I can convince you to agree with me.

Maybe Dan didn't want to overspend on a DH. Maybe he has a budget and thought to himself that's too much money to spend, I'll allocate the resources somewhere else. I didn't want to see Nick go, but Dan didn't have a problem with it. Even leading up to those talks I wasn't confident it was going to get done. Dan's comments on Markakis have always been somewhat tepid.

He's got money to spend. They've proved over the last two years that they'll go out and make key acquisitions. It's only December, they'll do it again.

Patience.

Don't believe all of this stuff! What you're reading is Duquette's propaganda. It's a poker game.

How anyone can be soooo negative about the last three years is just incomprehensible to me. DD and Buck know EXACTLY what they are doing. I would just say to the nay sayers, "what will it take for you to be satisfied?" World Series every year? Because clearly making the playoffs 2/3 years and winning more games in AL East for last three years means squat to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived