How many sure things do we have in our lineup right now?

ChuckS

I count two. Jones and Hardy.

At catcher, Matt Wieters is coming off major surgery and it is unknown when he be able to start playing games or how much of the season he will be able to play at catcher.

At first base, Chris Davis is coming off a season where he hit .196.

At second base, Jonathan Schoop is a huge offensive liability unless he is able to significantly improve from his rookie season.

At third base, Manny Machado is coming off his second knee surgery in two years. There are serious health concerns, although if you wanted to add Machado to the list of sure things I can see the argument.

At DH, LF, RF we are likely going to into the season with a slew of part time/platoon players and Sean Pearce, who is coming off a career year in his first (close to) full season in the bigs.

On any other team expected to contend in 2015 I think you will find more than two or three players that can be completely relied on for average or better than average production at their position. This is a major concern.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At catcher, Matt Wieters is coming off major surgery and it is unknown when he be able to start playing games or how much of the season he will be able to play at catcher.

At second base, Jonathan Schoop is a huge offensive liability unless he is able to significantly improve from his rookie season.

At third base, Manny Machado is coming off his second knee surgery in two years. There are serious health concerns, although if you wanted to add Machado to the list of sure things I can see the argument.

At DH, LF, RF we are likely going to into the season with a slew of part time/platoon players and Sean Pearce, who is coming off a career year in his first (close to) full season in the bigs.

On any other team expected to contend in 2015 I think you will find more than two or three players that can be completely relied on for average or better than average production at their position. This is a major concern.

You realize that even with his sub .200 year Davis OPS'd over .700 with 26 home runs.

No, I do not believe that you could get three players to be guaranteed to be betteo, I do not believe other teams have much more in a guaranteed basis.

And then you have our defense and our pitching.

Let me make sure I picked up on your major points:

1) This team sucks

2) This team expects to contend

3) Teams that contend don't suck

Did I miss anything?

Sure Thing.

Chris Davis Minimum .700+ OPS

Alejandro De Aza Minimum .735 OPS

Steve Pearce Minimum .745 OPS

Matt Wieters Minimum .735 OPS

Manny Machado Minimum .735 OPS

I think you are missing my point. Wieters and Machado are not sure things because of their injury question marks. It doesn't matter what their projected OPS would be over a full season.

Also, Chris Davis needs to OPS at least .750 to be productive with the number of unproductive outs he makes. De Aza can't hit lefties and I don't see how you can call Pearce a sure thing given what an anomaly his 2014 was.

My definition of a sure thing is a player that can be relied on for SOLID production on an EVERYDAY basis based on their statistical history. We have more question marks than answers in my opinion.

I think you are missing my point. Wieters and Machado are not sure things because of their injury question marks. It doesn't matter what their projected OPS would be over a full season.

Also, Chris Davis needs to OPS at least .750 to be productive with the number of unproductive outs he makes. De Aza can't hit lefties and I don't see how you can call Pearce a sure thing given what an anomaly his 2014 was.

My definition of a sure thing is a player that can be relied on for SOLID production on an EVERYDAY basis based on their statistical history. We have more question marks than answers in my opinion.

Then we shouldn't even be attempting to contend this year. It's impossible!!!

No one thinks that Matt and Manny will be injured enough not to hit. No one.

Archived