Now we know why no big FA dollars spent

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMHO no need to be frugal when the window slams shut after this season. Will they be going back to a sub .500 team after this year? Quite possibly- so why the no no spending?

Window slams shut?

Jones, Machado, Hardy, Gausman, Bundy, plus some cash to spend. I love the way this team is set up. I just don't get the people that say this is it.

Window slams shut?

Jones, Machado, Hardy, Gausman, Bundy, plus some cash to spend. I love the way this team is set up. I just don't get the people that say this is it.

Plus it's always about the pitching. If Tillman continues to progress and Gausman is the real deal they'll be fine.

Window slams shut?

Entirely possible that Wieters or Davis sticks around. One or the other, and most likely Wieters if he can throw.

Entirely possible that Wieters or Davis sticks around. One or the other, and most likely Wieters if he can throw.

I think the Orioles want to keep that option open, and are saving their money instead of spending it now on a marginal upgrade like Rasmus or Aoki -- unless they get a really good deal.

There will be room in payroll and a lot of pressure from fans to keep some type of fan favorite. I agree that it'll likely be one of Wieters or Davis unless they both have monster years or completely tank.

There will be room in payroll and a lot of pressure from fans to keep some type of fan favorite. I agree that it'll likely be one of Wieters or Davis unless they both have monster years or completely tank.

:rofl:

No offense dude but... :rofl:

:rofl:

No offense dude but... :rofl:

Next offseason we've got a large chunk of the roster hitting FA and a fair amount of money to spend. It was different this year with Markakis and Cruz because there wasn't any room in the budget. I bet we'll see at least one big contract signed next year and a good place to start is your own guys. Not to mention it's likely to be a different GM who will want to make a fan appeasing move to try sweep this Duquette nonsense under the rug.

Next offseason we've got a large chunk of the roster hitting FA and a fair amount of money to spend. It was different this year with Markakis and Cruz because there wasn't any room in the budget. I bet we'll see at least one big contract signed next year and a good place to start is your own guys. Not to mention it's likely to be a different GM who will want to make a fan appeasing move to try sweep this Duquette nonsense under the rug.

What if we just lower our payroll to 55 million to make up for the 85 percent loss in MASN value?

Fan opinion is not considered by any baseball executive. At least not successful ones.

I am doubtful that this will be the sequence of events. More likely they will view spending the amount they did this year as a necessary evil but excessive and will not see that same amount as being necessarily "available to spend" in next winter's budget. Particularly if they do not have a playoff season this year.

I am doubtful that this will be the sequence of events. More likely they will view spending the amount they did this year as a necessary evil but excessive and will not see that same amount as being necessarily "available to spend" in next winter's budget. Particularly if they do not have a playoff season this year.

I think that the Orioles would look to go back to the type of expenditure and management that brought them 14 consecutive losing seasons. Don't you?

Archived