O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

Some positives of the signing:

* He would be one of our more patient hitters. His walk rate was down last season but he has an 8.2% walk rate over the prior three seasons 9.5% range in 2012 and 2013. He has averaged more than 4 pitches per plate appearance over the past three seasons.

* The option as others have said is huge. If he doesn't hit, he won't be up with the team regardless if what he is making. It was very clear last season that if Ubaldo could have been optioned, they would have optioned him. Will he have a leg up on making the team out of camp? Maybe, but I am not sure that is a huge deal.

* UZR has been down on his play at SS but Inside Edge Fielding has been much kinder. Comparing him and Hardy on Inside Edge there is not a whole lot of differences and Cabrera has actually been a bit more adept at making the really difficult plays.

* 78% career stolen base rate works.

* He had a relatively significant home/road split last season so maybe the move from Petco to OPACT will help.

* Lastly, Cabrera gives the O's options. If he hits at his 2013 level, then they've gotten an everyday starter. If he stinks, he can be optioned. If he is good but not great, he makes for a good (if not overpaid) backup MIF. Hardy is the most likely DL candidate on the roster so it never hurts to have strong MIF depth. Regardless of who makes the team in April, Flaherty, Schoop and Cabrera can all remain in the organization which is huge. Add Navarro to the mix and that is some solid MIF depth.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some positives of the signing:

* He would be one of our more patient hitters. His walk rate was down last season but he has an 8.2% walk rate over the prior three seasons 9.5% range in 2012 and 2013. He has averaged more than 4 pitches per plate appearance over the past three seasons.

* The option as others have said is huge. If he doesn't hit, he won't be up with the team regardless if what he is making. It was very clear last season that if Ubaldo could have been optioned, they would have optioned him. Will he have a leg up on making the team out of camp? Maybe, but I am not sure that is a huge deal.

* UZR has been down on his play at SS but Inside Edge Fielding has been much kinder. Comparing him and Hardy on Inside Edge there is not a whole lot of differences and Cabrera has actually been a bit more adept at making the really difficult plays.

* 78% career stolen base rate works.

* He had a relatively significant home/road split last season so maybe the move from Petco to OPACT will help.

* Lastly, Cabrera gives the O's options. If he hits at his 2013 level, then they've gotten an everyday starter. If he stinks, he can be optioned. If he is good but not great, he makes for a good (if not overpaid) backup MIF. Hardy is the most likely DL candidate on the roster so it never hurts to have strong MIF depth. Regardless of who makes the team in April, Flaherty, Schoop and Cabrera can all remain in the organization which is huge. Add Navarro to the mix and that is some solid MIF depth.

Are there any negatives?

A couple splits.

Outside Petco - 251/324/348 career on road

Switch hitter:

243/316/325 as left handed batter

261/327/353 as right handed batter

Career 78% SB percentage same as Altuve/Span.

Cherry picking - had 13.4 baserunning runs in his good 2012-2013 seasons, tied for 3rd MLB wide in that time.

Legs were hurt last year - he's the kind of player whose value completely depends on speed.

From Melewski's most recent blog:

Steve got some good info.

"That's a good comparison. It's not like Cruz was a bad guy and I've heard some good things about Cabrera, too. Buck ... not going to put up with any garbage, but he also recognizes that everyone is not perfect. You have a chance to get a talented player at a reduced cost. He'll find ways to play him, I'm pretty certain of that."

"He is a quality defender. He's got plus range. In the past, there were times when there were some issues with his throwing, but overall his defense is plus and some teams were looking at him for shortstop."

"So he's a good quality defender and a year removed from his All-Star season. Can really run and adds a dimension you don't have for the Orioles. He could play himself into an everyday role. That is where a guy like Jonathan Schoop is going to have to prove himself again at spring training. He does add some protection there if Schoop struggles in his second year."

Jim Duquette.

Are there any negatives?

Well, yeah... His most recent season. And he has been nicked up. And his off-field issues.

Despite the negatives, I love the signing. I just love having a bona fide SS backup and I love having competition for Schoop and Flaherty. They don't deserve to have spots handed to them without real competition.

Well, yeah... His most recent season. And he has been nicked up. And his off-field issues.

Despite the negatives, I love the signing. I just love having a bona fide SS backup and I love having competition for Schoop and Flaherty. They don't deserve to have spots handed to them without real competition.

I look at it as if he doesn't perform, send him to AAA as he has an option and provides depth. If he's nicked up, then he goes on the DL and if he goes to jail, we can probably void the contract.

Archived