Jeffrey Maier Glove Sold At Auction for $22,705

weams

You mean Richie Garcia? The same Richie Garcia that was given a slap-on-the-wrist reprimand for being indebted to gamblers at the same time that Pete Rose was being banned for life? That Richie Garcia? The same man who was standing at the wall looking straight up while the 12 year old kid was leaning far over the wall. That Richie Garcia? Sorry, I will always be bitter and disgusted by this.

Me too bud. Me too. Read the deadspin if you think it was just about a kid being 12.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or you could just hate on an older young man, that exhibits some of the same tendencies.

http://deadspin.com/5922164/the-second-time-they-met-jeffrey-maier-didnt-dare-mess-with-tony-tarasco

Yes. Maier was a kid at that time ...... he eventually grew into a douche bag bully as a 17 year-old camp counselor four and a half years later. And while this particular auction did not directly involve Maier himself, he has continued to keep alive an injustice (in the sporting sense) of a behavior that tarnished the integrity of a playoff game, hence continuing to rub salt into the wounds.

His parents were idiots in the first place for accepting free tickets for Game Two as a "reward" for his actions that otherwise would have gotten him ejected from the ballpark for, and then acted like weasels when confronted about it by Mike Francesca the next day (see Post # 16 in this thread.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/113809-Jeffrey-Maier-on-the-Fangraphs-Podcast/page2

Jeffrey's proverbial apple may not have fallen far from the tree.

Or you could just hate on an older young man, that exhibits some of the same tendencies.

http://deadspin.com/5922164/the-second-time-they-met-jeffrey-maier-didnt-dare-mess-with-tony-tarasco

I think that Malike's reaction in another thread sums it up very well:

After reading that article, while I wish no long-term ill will on Maier, I think he should have been punched about the face and shoulders, too. What a lousy human being he was at that point.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/126983-Article-DD-connected-to-former-tormentor-%28Jeffrey-Maier%29

I disliked his folks and the Yankees for how they exalted him.

I disliked how the national media made the child a hero, interviewing him on everything from Letterman to the morning news shows and back. They acted like what he did was a good thing and that he should be rewarded and exulted.

Showed how parochial the new york media is.

Okay. But my point was made. He was 12 years old. He was a kid. Hate the ump.

Richie Garcia signed autographs pre-game in NY following his failure to make the correct call. That was sickening to me. Garcia basking in his celebrity, almost with a wink of complicity, should have earned him rebuke from MLB and discipline from the umpires union.

o

3 years before the Jeffrey Meier incident, the Yankees got away with the same tactic, this time with Ben McDonald on the mound.

During the 1993 pennant race, Ben McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Scott Kamieniecki in a 0-0 pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 8th inning. With Don Mattingly at the plate and the bases empty, a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore.

Like Jeffrey Maier 3 years later, McKenzie reached over the railing to snatch the ball away from McLemore.

In a post-game interview immediately following the game, Mattingly said that the kid "made a great catch" when he was shown a replay of the theft. Also, Mattingly met and shook hands with the McKenzie in the bowels of Yankee Stadium the next day.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095

In the photo, it states:

A GIFT: - Don Mattingly, left, shakes hands with Tim McKenzie at Yankee Stadium on Monday, prior to autographing the baseball that McKenzie is holding. The 16 year-old Durham, CT resident caught the ball over the railing, but Mattingly was given a home run in the Yankees' 1-0 win over the Orioles.

For his efforts, McDonald was credited with a complete-game loss, ceding that lone run in his 8 innings on the mound that afternoon.

o

o

3 years before the Jeffrey Meier incident, the Yankees got away with the same tactic, this time with Ben McDonald on the mound.

During the 1993 pennant race, Ben McDonald was going to-to-toe with the Scott Kamieniecli in a 0-0 pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 8th inning. With Don Mattingly at the plate and the bases empty, a 16 year-old Yankee fan from Connecticut named Tim McKenzie stole a home run in the right-field stands from Mark McLemore.

In a postgame interview immediately following the game, Mattingly said that the kid "made a great catch" when he was shown a replay of the theft:clap3:. Also, Mattingly met and shook hands with the McKenzie in the bowels of Yankee Stadium the next day.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1916&dat=19930817&id=AQYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Z3YFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1607,2158095

In the photo, it states:

A GIFT: - Don Mattingly, left, shakes hands with Tim McKenzie at Yankee Stadium on Monday, prior to autographing the baseball that McKenzie is holding. The 16 year-old Durham, CT resident caught the ball over the railing, but Mattingly a home run in the Yankees' 1-0 win over the Orioles.

For his efforts, McDonald was credited with a complete-game loss, ceding that lone run in his 8 innings on the mound that afternoon.

o

Nice job, OFFNY. I have nothing to add -- just wanted this entire post to get double exposure. :-)

Yes. Maier was a kid at that time ...... he eventually grew into a douche bag bully as a 17 year-old camp counselor four and a half years later. And while this particular auction did not directly involve Maier himself, he has continued to keep alive an injustice (in the sporting sense) of a behavior that tarnished the integrity of a playoff game, hence continuing to rub salt into the wounds.

His parents were idiots in the first place for accepting free tickets for Game Two as a "reward" for his actions that otherwise would have gotten him ejected from the ballpark for, and then acted like weasels when confronted about it by Mike Francesca the next day (see Post # 16 in this thread.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/113809-Jeffrey-Maier-on-the-Fangraphs-Podcast/page2

Jeffrey's proverbial apple may not have fallen far from the tree.

OFFNY-you are a great poster and I understand your upset as an Orioles fan, but making personal attacks on this guy's parents is absurd. Come on man:)

(I get your point on accepting free tickets..but Yankee tickets aren't cheap and this kid was a local hero-if the tables were turned, you would have done the same, don't kid yourself).

Last post on this. Just can't believe people get so personal with stupid sports stuff. Who cares....clearly the umps were to blame. Just be thankful replay is in the game now. That makes me happy. Replay is good for the game.

If the situation had been reversed, I wouldn't be desiring that glove. I wouldn't have enjoyed the cheating or celebrated it. And I strongly doubt Orioles fans would have kissed that child's ass like MFY fans did. I also have a hard time seeing our local media making him king for a day. So, no, if the tables had been turned, I wouldn't have been happy about the cheating or praised the child for cheating, despite being happy about having won the game.

If the situation had been reversed, I wouldn't be desiring that glove. I wouldn't have enjoyed the cheating or celebrated it. And I strongly doubt Orioles fans would have kissed that child's ass like MFY fans did. I also have a hard time seeing our local media making him king for a day. So, no, if the tables had been turned, I wouldn't have been happy about the cheating or praised the child for cheating, despite being happy about having won the game.

I am sure there are Yankees fans that felt the same way as you stated here...but the masses aren't always the most educated fans...sometimes the loudest voice are the casual fans.....

OFFNY-you are a great poster and I understand your upset as an Orioles fan, but making personal attacks on this guy's parents is absurd. Come on man:)

No, it isn't absurd.

These are facts, not "personal attacks."

I remember when it happened, and I remembered that even Francesca (Yankee fan) was annoyed at the weasly behavior by the parents.

This is how it went:

The commentators on WFAN (Francesca and Russo) in New York got his father on the phone. To their credit, Mike and the Mad Dog both confronted him about accepting free box seat tickets to a playoff game for his kid as a "reward" for behavior that would otherwise get you ejected from the game. They asked him, "Mr. Maier, don't you think that it's wrong for your kid to be rewarded for interfering with a crucial play in a post-season game ?" Mr. Maier responded by saying "Why can't my kid go to the game ?" Francesca and Russo again confronted him: "Mr. Maier, that isn't the point. Your kid can go to the game like everyone else, but why should he be rewarded with free box seat tickets for interfering with a play ? Other parents' kids should be able to go to the game. They didn't do anything wrong. Why shouldn't they get free tickets ? You're his parent. What exactly are you teaching your kid by accepting this "reward" for interfering with a play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier simply repeated his nonsensical "Why can't my kid go to the game?"

Archived