Will Jimmy Paredes force his way onto this team?

mdbdotcom

I'd assume he meant in "how well he hits this spring". Paredes has a MLB OPS of just over .600, and not exactly a glowing record in the minors. If he hits .400 with a 1.000 OPS in the spring I would hope the O's don't let that convince them he's now a good hitter. He's probably just a guy who went 20-for-50, often against guys who'll be spending their summer in the Texas League.

Paredes, I believe, has a better chance of making an impression with his spring perfomance than, say, Schoop, Lough, Flaherty because he is new(ish); Orioles management is getting their first good look at him. Same for Navarro, Lavarnway, even Arencibia. I think they probably have their opinions pretty well set about De Aza and Snider because they have more established track records in MLB.

I have no guess on whether they are judging Everth on his past MLB performance or whether spring performance is going to tip the scales.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally for the hitting side of things, you can't put too much stock in guys hitting the cover off the ball in ST for a variety of reasons.

However, fielding should be the same, regardless of the batter or pitcher.

So if you are making bad plays in the field, that is troublesome.

He's a 1 trick pony, and that 1 trick is questionable. We'd be better off with a guy like Paredes, who has more tools and much greater potential.

Young is better at his one trick than Paredes is at anything, at least so far in their careers. That's not to say Paredes couldn't get better, but Young is clearly the more accomplished player at this point, flaws and all.

Kind of interesting that De Aza is getting reps in RF now. Not to mention Cabrera being looked at in CF. Wonder if that might mean the end for Lough and open a spot for Paredes.
I think it could be between Cabrera and Lough. Cabrera, if he can play a decent CF, can do everything that Lough does, plus get on base and play SS.

Personally for the hitting side of things, you can't put too much stock in guys hitting the cover off the ball in ST for a variety of reasons.

However, fielding should be the same, regardless of the batter or pitcher.

So if you are making bad plays in the field, that is troublesome.

I hear you and generally agree. However, I remember Steve Pearce hitting the cover off the ball 2 years ago in ST. It turned out that was legit. I'm not willing to dismiss Paredes' hitting, especially when you factor in the end of last year.

I hear you and generally agree. However, I remember Steve Pearce hitting the cover off the ball 2 years ago in ST. It turned out that was legit. I'm not willing to dismiss Paredes' hitting, especially when you factor in the end of last year.

Different set of circumstances.

Orioles stunk and they had lots of holes to fill.

Now, the roster is more secure and this is the best record team in MLB for 3 years.

Peace's career average was higher then than Paredes' is now. Pearce was always at leasT a league average hitter, the question for him was his splits.

Quote Originally Posted by jtschrei View Post

Different set of circumstances.

Orioles stunk and they had lots of holes to fill.

Now, the roster is more secure and this is the best record team in MLB for 3 years.

This is quite a feat for the Orioles: stunk two years ago while having the best record in MLB for the past three years. Oh, the dark days of 2013! :drek:

Archived