Rule V, Gustave, Garcia and Verrett

Beef Supreme

Looks like the Orioles can trade for the rights for Rule V-ers Garcia and Verrett, if December's Jandel Gustave trade from the team that drafted him, Boston, to Kansas City is comparable. On Decemebr 11, Gustave was drafted and subsequently traded the same day -- it might be a little as an hour later. There would not have been time for Gustave to have cleared waivers.

Seems that acquiring teams have the opportunity to trade with the team from which he was acquired, bypassing waivers. I also suggest that this type of trade would nullify the Rule V mandate of having to keep the player on the MLB squad that year.

Does the Gustave trade from December parallel the situation that has been proposed that the Orioles could trade Boston and New York to keep Garcia and Verrett?

If this has been settled, mods please feel free to delete this thread.

Looks like the Orioles can trade for the rights for Rule V-ers Garcia and Verrett, if December's Jandel Gustave trade from the team that drafted him, Boston, to Kansas City is comparable. On Decemebr 11, Gustave was drafted and subsequently traded the same day -- it might be a little as an hour later. There would not have been time for Gustave to have cleared waivers.

Seems that acquiring teams have the opportunity to trade with the team from which he was acquired, bypassing waivers. I also suggest that this type of trade would nullify the Rule V mandate of having to keep the player on the MLB squad that year.

Does the Gustave trade from December parallel the situation that has been proposed that the Orioles could trade Boston and New York to keep Garcia and Verrett?

Unless you want to take away the Rule 5 designation, you may trade a player as many times as you like through the season. You just can never take him off the 25 man roster without waiver exposure, and offer back to original team.

This was never up in the air.

I also suggest that this type of trade would nullify the Rule V mandate of having to keep the player on the MLB squad that year.

No, it's different.

To any team. But the rule 5 stipulation is still attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaning the Orioles could trade Verrett to the Mets and they would not be able to option him? Now I am getting confused again.

Meaning the Orioles could trade Verrett to the Mets and they would not be able to option him? Now I am getting confused again.

Not that I believe.

In 1992, I think, the Braves selected their own player in the draft because they hadn't protected him.

I thought they traded for the pick rather than trading for the player. Can teams trade for Rule V picks?

Can't trade for picks. Technically Houston picked Garcia and we traded for him. But obviously the phone call was made to tell Houston to pick him.

Archived