Roch: Looks like Paredes has a 25 man Spot.

weams

I agree with all of this except one minor bit - I think after Hardy comes off the DL, assuming Cabrera looks good the first week or two, we send Flaherty down. It will be really interesting when Lough is ready to come off - then, I believe, we'll have to resolve the Paredes or Lough debate.

In this scenario, Clevenger would be the guy sent down after opening day; I believe we're a bit ambivalent about keeping him. We'd like to keep Paredes around.

Who backs up 3rd, if Flaherty goes down to AAA?

Primarily Paredes, though Schoop or Cabrera could slide over in a pinch. Heck, even Davis if we were really pressed.

I've seen Schoop at 3rd and please leave him at 2nd, for sure.

Yes, I forgot Davis is a decent third.

Cabrera only has 1 major league game at 3rd, and I thought I heard his hands and makeup was better suited for middle infielder.

What I saw enough of Paredes at 3rd last season, thank you very much.

1. Machado will play every inning of every game.

2. Schoop is being judged by a few games. He has the hands and arm to be a good 3B.

3. Paredes is error prone but he's not horrible over there.

1. Not quite, but probably pretty close.

2. Maybe, just didn't like his positioning and foot work, but at 2nd, he is the real deal for sure.

3. Not horrible okay, but not comfortable, going from Above plus to below average. Big trade off.

1. Not quite, but probably pretty close.

2. Maybe, just didn't like his positioning and foot work, but at 2nd, he is the real deal for sure.

3. Not horrible okay, but not comfortable, going from Above plus to below average. Big trade off.

How big of a trade off is it considering the amount of time. In the event Machado goes down with an injury and misses any more than a day or two, you bring Flaherty back up to play 3B. Otherwise, the utility player will spell him at 3B maybe once a month and fill-in for an in-game injury. I think for that little amount of time the downgrade from Machado to Paredes/Schoop/Davis would not be the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

How big of a trade off is it considering the amount of time. In the event Machado goes down with an injury and misses any more than a day or two, you bring Flaherty back up to play 3B. Otherwise, the utility player will spell him at 3B maybe once a month and fill-in for an in-game injury. I think for that little amount of time the downgrade from Machado to Paredes/Schoop/Davis would not be the end of the world in the grand scheme of things.

Agree with this. I'm surprised some folks, assuming Machado misses a day or two or to spell him on an off day, think the relative defensive drop-off from Flaherty to our other options at 3B (which I'd argue isn't all that great) is worth avoiding even at the cost of letting someone like Paredes go, but to each his/her own, I guess.

Archived