Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

We already have Jones, Markakis, Scott, Payton, Redman, Roberson, and Reimold (in the wings) for the outfield. If we trade Payton to the Cubs, I'll be "okay" with getting Murton back. However, if we add Murton to the names listed above, we'll have a cluster**** in the outfield.

Don't forget the multi-talented Jay Gibbons. :P

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We already have Jones, Markakis, Scott, Payton, Redman, Roberson, and Reimold (in the wings) for the outfield. If we trade Payton to the Cubs, I'll be "okay" with getting Murton back. However, if we add Murton to the names listed above, we'll have a cluster**** in the outfield.

Those guys aren't worth mentioning.

Reimold is worth mentioning however.

He could be ready by July.

I am not opposed to getting Murton though.

I don't understand why we wouldn't want Murton either. He is not a potential star but he is a relatively young (26) and relatively useful player (career .820 OPS over 830 AB).

If we're talking about this year, there would be no logjam in the outfield (assuming Payton is traded back to the Cubs as has been speculated). Adam Jones is likely going to struggle at times and is therefore going to get some days off. Scott and Murton could platoon at times in LF. Scott could dh. This could open the door to trade Millar and/or Huff.

Not to sound mean but mentioning Redman and Roberson as reasons for not adding an outfielder is laughable.

If we're talking about a few years from now, Murton is still young. To illustrate, he is almost exactly 2 years older than Reimold. I see no reason why he couldn't play many more years.

I don't understand why we wouldn't want Murton either. He is not a potential star but he is a relatively young (26) and relatively useful player (career .820 OPS over 830 AB).

If we're talking about this year, there would be no logjam in the outfield (assuming Payton is traded back to the Cubs as has been speculated). Adam Jones is likely going to struggle at times and is therefore going to get some days off. Scott and Murton could platoon at times in LF. Scott could dh. This could open the door to trade Millar and/or Huff.

Not to sound mean but mentioning Redman and Roberson as reasons for not adding an outfielder is laughable.

If we're talking about a few years from now, Murton is still young. To illustrate, he is almost exactly 2 years older than Reimold. I see no reason why he couldn't play many more years.

I am a Cubs fan, but I have to agree with you. I do not know why the O's wouldn't want Murton. Personally, I hope he is not dealt. I think he could be a very good hitter and wish there was a place for him on the Cubs. I keep hoping that if Pie fails the Cubs will move Soriano back to center and play Murton in left everyday. I doubt that will happen because for some reason Hendry feels he has to get rid of Murton. But that does not mean he is not a good ballplayer. He is and he would be a very nice pick up for the O's.

I would much rather the O's take Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson and a 4th young guy then they take Murton.

I am a Cubs fan, but I have to agree with you. I do not know why the O's wouldn't want Murton. Personally, I hope he is not dealt. I think he could be a very good hitter and wish there was a place for him on the Cubs. I keep hoping that if Pie fails the Cubs will move Soriano back to center and play Murton in left everyday. I doubt that will happen because for some reason Hendry feels he has to get rid of Murton. But that does not mean he is not a good ballplayer. He is and he would be a very nice pick up for the O's.

I would much rather the O's take Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson and a 4th young guy then they take Murton.

Pie and Marmol are both young guys.

Just kidding. ;)

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles28feb28,0,1385709.story

Roberts is scheduled to start at second base and bat leadoff for the Orioles today, a mild upset considering MacPhail has engaged in trade talks with the Chicago Cubs about the two-time All-Star for months.

The Orioles will dispatch a scout to Mesa, Ariz., site of the Cubs' training facility, next week to get a closer look at some of the players the two teams have discussed. It's expected that infielder Ronny Cedeno and pitching prospect Sean Gallagher would be in the deal, but the third and/or fourth player still hasn't been decided. Both sides remain optimistic that a deal could get done.

"I don't really think much about it anymore," Roberts said. "I know a little bit about the situation, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."

Haha! I bet that depends on who the young guy is. How would you feel if it was a choice between Murton or (Patterson + Ceda)?

I'm not saying we can get Ceda. Just sayin what if.

I guess I should say I would rather the Cubs deal Veal or Patterson then Murton. Unlike many Cubs fans, I have no problem getting rid of minor league talent for major league talent. Now, that doesn't mean you get 4 top prospects for Roberts, but getting rif of a couple high end guys and a couple other servicable guys for him and Payton does not bother me. Something along the lines of Gallagher, Cedeno, either Veal or Patterson and a 4th prospect not in the top 10 list of Cubs prospects would be a lot for Roberts, but it is something I would probably do.

Yes, you are correct. To say I was being facetious or sarcastic would be an understatement. I just wanted to beat someone else to the punch- as while I'm sitting here listening to the game while I work- I picture in my mind people jumping up for joy at every Roberts stolen base, run scored, and rbi today- as a potential showcase of his worth to the Cubs.

Right now he's 1 for 1- with 2 sbs, a run scored, and a 2-out rbi. So there you have it- the thread is already here for the picking. Who can argue Roberts GREATNESS after his performance today?! Surely he is worth not only Pie, but Cedeno, Colvin, AND Gallagher! :)

He MUST stay here!:002_scry:

Well Cindy; for what it's worth (and I realize it is very little). In a response to Dan Connolly's article regarding Tex in the Sun today, someone claiming insider information said McPhail has spoken to Boras and was told there is no way Tex is coming here if we trade BRob.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.connolly28feb28,0,227944.column

Well Cindy; for what it's worth (and I realize it is very little). In a response to Dan Connolly's article regarding Tex in the Sun today, someone claiming insider information said McPhail has spoken to Boras and was told there is no way Tex is coming here if we trade BRob.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.connolly28feb28,0,227944.column

0% chance that conversation took place between Boras and MacPhail.

Archived