Webb DFA, Lavarnway Back

TonySoprano

Matusz is better than Webb. And it isn't really that close. I'm not sure how anyone could have watched last year play out and not realize that Webb isn't going to get the really good hitters out with any consistency. Matusz was put in much higher leverage situations last year. Webb was a keep the game close in the 6th or 7th guy or a get this over with guy in games where we were losing.

You state the truth.

But to some that don't like Matusz, they have trouble understanding this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz is better than Webb. And it isn't really that close. I'm not sure how anyone could have watched last year play out and not realize that Webb isn't going to get the really good hitters out with any consistency. Matusz was put in much higher leverage situations last year. Webb was a keep the game close in the 6th or 7th guy or a get this over with guy in games where we were losing.

Eh, Matusz is leveraged heavily against LHB while Webb can get batters on both sides of the plate out with his sinker. Webb didn't have one of his best years last year but he probably pitched into some bad luck imo. Webb is the better well rounded reliever, Matusz a situational lefty/LOOGY. I guess they feel Wright is a balanced reliever and keeping Matusz as a situational lefty makes more sense for the composition of the team. It's not like they weren't shopping Matusz.

I'm not saying Matusz is something awesome, but Webb doesn't have a lot of weapons against elite hitters. I wasn't impressed by Webb's stuff at all last year. I actually thought he typically pitched in good luck when I watched him. I saw a LOT of hard hit balls that went for outs. Hitters from both sides look very comfortable against him to me.

Matusz was heavily leveraged, but he at least made lefties feel pretty uncomfortable. The Matusz I saw this spring is capable of getting out lefties and righties. His change up was back to being pretty filthy and his 2 seamer was running a lot more. We will see if it translates to the regular season.

Well, if it was Webb against a good LHB and Matusz against good RHB, I'd take Webb all day long. I stand that Webb is the more balanced reliever and Matusz is better when he's leveraged against LHB. I don't have a problem with the decision, even it is going to be expensive and I don't have great faith in Garcia being effective. But I'll defer to the Orioles decision makers.

I saw some of the same things with Matusz is well. It think he's flashed some of that ability at times but never consistently. We'll see if some of the stuff we saw in ST translates this year. That said, I generally sweat bullets when he's up against almost any decent RHB.

I think sending Gausman to AAA to serve as the ace in Norfolk would have made more sense than paying a decent veteran to pitch for another team.

He has options remaining, and I feel like he'll be wasted in our bullpen instead of being stretched out and ready to fill in when one of the five members of the rotation gets hurt or struggles.

I know I may be in the minority, but I'm always a fan of retaining as much depth as possible.

I still think one of Dan's worst moves since joining the organization was giving Pat Neshek away in the middle of a pennant race a few years ago. It would be painful to watch Webb have a similar career resurgence for a competitor.

I still think one of Dan's worst moves since joining the organization was giving Pat Neshek away in the middle of a pennant race a few years ago. It would be painful to watch Webb have a similar career resurgence for a competitor.

Pat Neshek has been a free agent three times since then. Dan was kind to Pat. He was not replacing O'Day at the time.

I think it is just a good idea to have at least two LHP to match against elite lefty hitters. We got by with TJ last year, but he has reverse splits and really isn't a lights out type guy. Once we added Miller, it made a huge difference in our ability to match up every single night. In '12-'13 we had Matusz and Patton. Now, I am not saying that Matusz (or Wright) is anywhere near equivalent to Miller, but he gives us a second option to be able to match up. If it is between Matusz and Webb, I am keeping Matusz just because he still has good splits vs. lefties.

I think it's safe to say that Ryan Webb won't be leaving the O's organization with the same feelings of warmth and gratitude that Neshek may have experienced.

I too would be totally pissed if my employer was paying me $2.7 million to do nothing.

webb is a lot better than Matusz. Right handed hitters destroy Matusz. Plus he looks like he is having a nervous breakdown every time he pitches.

I wrote two different times that you can't blame him. I'm simply saying NOBODY wants him at that salary as they all had the option of taking him. That apparently bothers him less than playing some games in the minors. I wouldn't feel the same way. He is going to make what he is going to make this year as nobody is paying him more than the salary the Orioles are paying him. He is very unlikely to stick on another roster all year either. I'd stay with the team that I'm familiar with and that I know has a good chance to play well and try to improve in the minors. But again, he is within his rights to do what he did. I still wouldn't make the same choice.

I highly doubt anyone would choose to play in the minors for a team that doesn't want them instead of playing in the Bigs. If no one else wants him he can retire. I don't see no one else wanting him at the major league minimum. ,he is far from the worst reliever in the bigs.

I highly doubt anyone would choose to play in the minors for a team that doesn't want them instead of playing in the Bigs. If no one else wants him he can retire. I don't see no one else wanting him at the major league minimum. ,he is far from the worst reliever in the bigs.

He is far from the type of reliever that could expect to get paid that much again. We missed the evaluation with him. It happens, he's not special.

Archived