Snider or Davis vs Buerhle?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh' date=' I think Buck plays Davis, but what do you think about that decision?[/quote']

I think it's the right one. I'd imagine the plan at the beginning of the season was to limit ABs for Snider and De Aza against lefties. It's game 4, I wouldn't abandon that plan despite how well those two did in Tampa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem sitting Snider and going with Davis. Of course, They might both play and De Sza sits. Don't be shocked to see Delmon Young in RF.

I think Young will play OF more than most people on here do. But I'd be surprised if he played there today. Who would DH?

Davis needs to hear some cheers and see as many pitches as possible.

This won't happen, but:

Cabrera LF

Pearce RF

Young DH

Davis 1B

Between the two Lefties, I'd rather have De Aza in the line-up than Flaherty. But with Norris' ground ball rate, I can understand the desire to put our best defenders at SS/2B. Ah, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Roch had this to say today:

Delmon Young figures to be the designated hitter today. He's 21-for-50 (.420) with two doubles, four home runs and nine RBIs against Buehrle. Center fielder Adam Jones is 11-for-31 with two doubles, a home run and five RBIs. Jonathan Schoop is 3-for-8 (.375) with a double and home run.

Ryan Lavarnway is 3-for-6 with a double. Caleb Joseph is 2-for-4 with a home run. Steve Pearce is 2-for-5 with two doubles. Everth Cabrera is 3-for-4.

You may have noticed that the current Orioles hit Buehrle. They're .398/.430/.633 against him.

Travis Snider is 2-for-3, but he may sit against a left-hander, with Pearce playing right field in his place.

I think we see Snider sit out today. They could also sit out De Aza, but I think they go with Pearce in RF.

Cabrera over Flaherty at SS?

If Buck doesn't have Cabrera in today's lineup, then Everth better get used to it being a long season on the bench in Baltimore.

There's little reason to believe Davis won't be in the lineup today for both sentimental and practical reasons. Even if it is a left hander, Buck's not going to go that route with him until later on in the season if he's really struggling. Four games in, and the third game for Davis he's not going to do it.

AJ had some good words to say about Snider today in Roch's column:

"We're professionals, so we have to figure out how to play with each other," Jones said yesterday before the workout. "Obviously, I have to know his range and his speed. He can cover a lot of ground. I didn't realize how fast he is and how much ground he covers. "You see we had a little synchronized tumble the other night. It was pretty funny. We both didn't know that we had both tumbled, which was pretty cool. But he's aggressive out there and I told him to be aggressive. Don't mind me. If you think you have a beat on the ball, don't be afraid of it. And we put in the time, so I think we have pretty good communication."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I wonder how people would feel if Eflin’s ERA this season started with a 3 - like every single more predictive measure (3.37 xERA, 3.65 FIP, 3.77 xFIP, 3.92 SIERA) - instead of being a ghastly 4.09.  For those hoping for somebody better - who exactly do you think is better who is potentially available other than Skubal and Crochet? Fedde has been better this year, but last year he was in Korea and Eflin had a 4.7 fWAR season with a 3.50 ERA. I’d still take Eflin over him going forward, even if it’s close. More importantly, he’s also owed only $7.5M next year to Eflin’s $18M, so the trade price will be MUCH higher and every single team looking for pitching can afford him next year and is competing for him. Taking Eflin’s salary lowered the competition and the prospect capital and is EXACTLY the type of deal the Orioles should be doing with their payroll flexibility. Snell was horrible this year, then hurt, and now maybe himself again. Even if you think he’s good going forward now, he’s a rental with the anchor of a potential $31M salary next year if he gets injured or starts struggling again.  Bassitt is good, but by all predictive measures other than ERA still worse than Eflin this year, but he’s 35 and owed even more next year ($21M). And the reports are he’s not even available.  Taillon is fine, but not better than Eflin - everything in his profile is pointing to a 4+ ERA much more than Eflin. Rangers are not trading Eovaldi or Scherzer now. Luzardo maybe, but he’s hurt and MIA may not be trading him either.  Am I missing anybody? I’d love to add any of these guys too and don’t think the Orioles should stop here. But Eflin was arguably the best available, and definitely the best fit in terms of the balance of prospect capital vs. taking on salary. To boot they also added added to a rotation next year that right now only has Grayson and Kremer.  I can understand wanting a more impressive high K, ace SP type in theory, but with all of this context I don’t know how you could think anything other than loving this deal. 
    • Which indicates that this is currently not a good team.  Question marks everywhere. If your not playing and not happy about it, make the most of the chances when you get them.
    • i agree with what those who are saying the vets might be a little miffed with uncertain contract futures looming.  But the reality is the young guys are going to be auditioned adequately before summarily being brought up just to take their "rightful" places now filled by vets. I don't have any problem with how Elias is handling talent either in the farm or on the MLB team.  And after reflecting a while on a position I had about trading long-term O's during a Playoff/WS run - basically, that Elias would show some deference to guys that got us here - I've flopped on that.  What I think is happening is that the audition process is concluding in some ways.  Had Hays come out like an All-Star again this year, I still think he would have/ could have been traded, but for maybe a higher net.  Cowser and Kierstadt have, by now, proven themselves - so to speak, and having control of them, makes them more valuable, particularly since both were outperforming Hays.  I think Mullins could be next.  To me, it was basically a "prove it" year for anyone competing for OF positions.  My biggest question is do they amp up the "try outs" for 2nd and 3rd base now.
    • What I was saying yesterday is without Burnes, he moved into that spot at the top of the rotation for the team as currently constructed. I’m not saying next year he will be a CY candidate, although he has great stuff and has the potential to do so if he can put it all together. 
    • Actually it's clear to me that there is no reporting. No quotes or even "sources say".
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now