Bud Norris 2015

slakattack

How do you make room for him in the pen?

Yeah. That's the tricky part. You would have to make some tough decisions. Maybe you could try to get something for Hunter and move Norris into that role. It's tough.

I'd bet that Norris gets at least one more start though to try to turn it around.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. That's the tricky part. You would have to make some tough decisions. Maybe you could try to get something for Hunter and move Norris into that role. It's tough.

I'd bet that Norris gets at least one more start though to try to turn it around.

I just don't see the logic of dumping Hunter so you can find out if Norris can pitch as well as Hunter out of the pen.

I would guess that Norris would strike out more batters, but he would also walk more. They seem pretty analogous to me.

I just don't see the logic of dumping Hunter so you can find out if Norris can pitch as well as Hunter out of the pen.

I would guess that Norris would strike out more batters, but he would also walk more. They seem pretty analogous to me.

Yeah. I agree. I'm not sure I would go down that road yet, but something needs to be done eventually if Norris continues these types of outings.

I figure Norris picks up a couple of MPH in the bullpen and limits his repertoire. The "new look" Norris would require an adjustment from hitters expecting the old Bud Norris. Of course, the prospect of losing 40 or 50 million dollars could really depress Bud and change his attitude.

I don't believe Buck.

I think Gausman could throw seven shutout and he will still get sent back down.

Buck obviously isn't done feeding Bud rope.

We are now in the time of the season when the O's traditionally make rotation changes. Its has happened in July for the last three years. Actions speak louder than words.

Right now we have a 25 man roster and need to add Gausman for Thursday's start and Schoop can only "rehab" for 15 days.

I am assuming you want Gausman to replace Norris in the rotation so the Thursday move might as well be one that keeps him on the 25. Who goes?

Trade/DL/DFA two of Young/Lough/Reimold. (for Gausman and Schoop). How long can they realistically go with a six man pen anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send him down to the minors.

If someone is dumb enough to claim Norris, let them have him, he's no longer our problem.

If he gets through waivers which I'm sure he would, we can bring him back up if we ever need him later this season or if he gets his act together in AAA.

Win win right?

Send him down to the minors.

If someone is dumb enough to claim Norris, let them have him, he's no longer our problem.

If he gets through waivers which I'm sure he would, we can bring him back up if we ever need him later this season or if he gets his act together in AAA.

Win win right?

As far as I know, since he has spent more than five years in the majors he would not have to accept the assignment.

We are now in the time of the season when the O's traditionally make rotation changes. Its has happened in July for the last three years. Actions speak louder than words.

Norris will start at most 2 games before the break and we have an off day 4 days after the break. They really don't need a 5th starter until July 25th. I assume he is due to pitch Sunday with an extra day because of the DH. If he stinks up the joint on Sunday I could see him going to the pen then. The off day next Thursday allows them to skip someone. They could pitch Gonzo and Chen on normal rest vs the Nats and put Bud in the pen.

Trade/DL/DFA two of Young/Lough/Reimold. (for Gausman and Schoop). How long can they realistically go with a six man pen anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they will go with a 6 man pen as long as they can. Norris could provide pen help in the Nats series or they could start him and get cute and send Chen or Gonzo to the minors after they start next week.

I suspect we lose one position player on Thursday for Gausman. He then gets sent back down for a reliever to help out. Then next week once they figure out the rotation a pitcher like Chen, Gonzo or a reliever gets sent down for Schoop.

I think they will go with a 6 man pen as long as they can. Norris could provide pen help in the Nats series or they could start him and get cute and send Chen or Gonzo to the minors after they start next week.

I suspect we lose one position player on Thursday for Gausman. He then gets sent back down for a reliever to help out. Then next week once they figure out the rotation a pitcher like Chen, Gonzo or a reliever gets sent down for Schoop.

Schoop requires a 40 man roster move as well.

I think we could be approaching a decision point on Norris. I'm unsure how exactly our starting rotation will fall between now and the All Star break (ie do we need Norris to make another start), but I believe if we see, most importantly A) Gausman look strong on Thursday and B) Norris struggle in another start or two, the All Star break and off days we are afforded thereafter will be the opportunity to move Bud to the 'pen.

Many folks have speculated that he could be a very effective bullpen arm, and I think we may be able to take advantage of that. We've also been at 6 in the bullpen for the better part of a month, anyway, so that'll help us get squared away. I'm sure he won't be thrilled with it, but quite frankly, at this point, it's tough for him to argue that we haven't given him a fair shake at starting.

If Gausman pitches well and Bud struggles in his next start or two, I think we'll see the switch made.

I don't believe Buck.

I think Gausman could throw seven shutout and he will still get sent back down.

Buck obviously isn't done feeding Bud rope.

Gausman would have to throw a perfect game to avoid getting sent back down.

The question I keep coming back to is what is Bud offering -- either in the bullpen or the rotation -- that someone else already on the 40-man can't? I can't come up with anything. Can anyone else honestly answer that question, especially considering that he probably wasn't (and isn't) coming back next year? If anyone wants to defend Bud (including Buck), you have to be willing to tell us exactly what he has to offer than nobody else on the roster does. Because I don't see it.

We have plenty of decent BP pitchers and obviously have two or three other decent SP options (Wilson, Gausman, and maybe Wright if he can get his head right) that are virtually a lock to be as "good" or better than Bud is right now.

Archived