Bud Norris 2015

slakattack

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Norris admits confidence taken a hit: ?Probably a little bit. This game is very humbling. I know what I can do and have to work through it."</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7G6E1rGY8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe he finally realized that he has cost himself tens of millions of dollars on the free agent market this year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of these comments frustrate me. Same as from some of the Tillman threads.

I understand that sports bring out a lot of passion. Bud Norris has embraced the city and loves being an Oriole. He pitched some nice games for us the previous year and a half. Obviously this isn't little league and you don't get a trophy just for trying, and if Buck decides he needs to be pulled from the rotation I certainly would not have any problem with that.

I dunno, just frustrates me to see fans turn so quickly on their own sometimes.

I don't think that anyone's trying to get on Norris, as far as any personal issues go. They are criticizing his pitching technique. Last year, some fans were attacking Ubaldo with such personal vitriol it shocked me. He was called so many names, some of them not fit to be printed in a family forum. Fans were regularly booing him off the mound, and they booed him roundly at the beginning of the clincher game (I was there and I heard those boos). As bad as Bud has been, he's not getting booed off the mound or getting booed during games. Fortunately for Birdland, Ubaldo was able to ignore the boos and vitriol. He accepted his demotion to the pen without complaint. He worked on his pitching in such a way that he regained his spot in the rotation for the 2015 season. Fans now love him and cheer him wildly because he has improved so much.

If Bud accepted an assignment in the bullpen (if Buck sends himthere), worked on his pitching techniques, he would be appreciated a lot more.

It would be one thing if we had some sort of long term commitment to Bud like we did ubaldo last year or Chris Tillman this year, then it might be ok to continue to run Bud out there with a near 7 era.

It would also be ok if he was a young prospect struggling to make adjustments to major league hitters and we were simply giving him time to adjust.

It would also be acceptable to continue starting Bud if we had no other good options at all sort of like Arrieta and Cabrera in the old days when we had no one better at all waiting and as a sub .500 team, it didn't really matter if we sucked.

But this team has a 1st round draft pick who pitches 98-99 mph fastballs, a young kid who we have a long term commitment to waiting in the wings and we are keeping him in AAA and yo-yoing him constantly to continually make room for a guy who's gone at the end of the year, who has the worst era and whip in ALL OF BASEBALL for starters and who has shown ZERO signs he is going to start consistently pitching better anytime soon.

His whip is over 1.6. He's got one good pitch, one average to below average changeup and that's pretty much it.

Why won't Buck make the tough decision and give the ball to the future of this team, Kevin Gausman?

We are tied for first place and we are hamstringing ourselves by running the worst pitcher in baseball this season out there every fifth day.

Gun to your head right now, one game for your life, who do you choose to take the ball, Bud Norris or Kevin Gausman?

In that scenario, Bud Norris's mom wouldn't even pick Bud.

So why does he continually get to go out there and stink the joint out every fifth day? Because he's a veteran? Because of last years win total and statistically lucky ERA?

Sorry, but in the words of Buck Showalter, that dog don't hunt.

Make the change, do what's right for the team and the other 24 guys on the roster, not to mention the millions of fans paying to see this team try to win baseball games.

It's not right to keep Norris in the rotation and force people to watch that garbage simply because we "owe it to him".

This is professional sports, not teeball. You have to earn your spot on to a major league roster and sorry, when you stink, you earn your way OFF of it too.

Bud Norris has earned his way off the roster and Buck and Dan need to make the change NOW, especially when they keep scratching and screwing with our number 1 prospect to give Bud extra chances. It makes ZERO sense from any remotely logical perspective.

Gausman needs to be in the rotation. Norris needs to go to the pen or get traded. Gausman is too good to only have 20 IP so far this year. I'm not so high on Wilson like a lot of you guys are. His low strikeout numbers don't point to long term success. I think Norris could be a sub 3 ERA short reliever.

I would put him in the bullpen rather than DFA him. If one of the other starters goes down you may well need him again in that role. I also think he might enjoy some success in a bullpen role.
If he's not hurt I would move him to the bullpen and give him the Ubaldo treatment. I think he could be an asset out of the pen for an inning or two.

How do you make room for him in the pen?

To me its really up to Gausman now. If he come up an pitches lights out Buck will have a hard time sending him down. He controls his future. Bud's next three months depends on whether Gausman steps up. Bud to the pen is likely if Kevin steps up.

Some of Buck's double talk on Gausman:

From Roch:

"I don't see a current scenario where he would stay, but a lot can change and he can help make that by pitching well. He can control it," Showalter said.

You make him the seventh man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now we have a 25 man roster and need to add Gausman for Thursday's start and Schoop can only "rehab" for 15 days.

I am assuming you want Gausman to replace Norris in the rotation so the Thursday move might as well be one that keeps him on the 25. Who goes?

To me its really up to Gausman now. If he come up an pitches lights out Buck will have a hard time sending him down. He controls his future. Bud's next three months depends on whether Gausman steps up. Bud to the pen is likely if Kevin steps up.

Some of Buck's double talk on Gausman:

From Roch:

I don't believe Buck.

I think Gausman could throw seven shutout and he will still get sent back down.

Buck obviously isn't done feeding Bud rope.

Archived