Mychal Givens

weams

Right now the only "big" names left on the FA market are Betances and Will Harris.  We could possibly see a trade market develop for Givens after those two come off the board.  Also, there is interest in a Hader trade from the Yankees, Dodgers, and Mets.  Givens could be a cheap option for teams like the Brewers on Twins.  

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now the only "big" names left on the FA market are Betances and Will Harris.  We could possibly see a trade market develop for Givens after those two come off the board.  Also, there is interest in a Hader trade from the Yankees, Dodgers, and Mets.  Givens could be a cheap option for teams like the Brewers on Twins.  

I don’t know why the Brewers are talking about trading Hader.

Considering cost, He may be the best closer in the game right now.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t know why the Brewers are talking about trading Hader.

Considering cost, He may be the best closer in the game right now.

The smart thing to do would be maximize that value. It’s something I wish the O’s would have done.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

The smart thing to do would be maximize that value. It’s something I wish the O’s would have done.

Exactly. Hader will start costing serious money with 4 arb years coming. Move him now and get some pieces for the future.

I've never been a fan of seeing mid-market teams spend big money on BO pitchers.

14 minutes ago, oriole said:

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Exactly. Hader will start costing serious money with 4 arb years coming. Move him now and get some pieces for the future.

I've never been a fan of seeing mid-market teams spend big money on BO pitchers.

So the Brewers, who have won 96 and 89 games the last two years, should be trading their relief ace who is under control for four more seasons?

I mean sure, that maximizes his trade value.    It also minimizes his playing contributions to the Brewers while they are a contending team.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw a blurb saying the Elias asking price on Givens was still pretty high and other teams believe he'll be a trading deadline deal now. I doubt that. I think he's dealt later when teams lose out on other options. There's still a LONG way to go with trades before ST.

46 minutes ago, oriole said:

I agree completely, but I don’t think Hader is at peak value yet. Isn’t this his first year of arbitration?

it is way too soon to trade him, especially because the Brewers have no one with whom to replace him and they are still in a playoff phase. The best time to trade a guy is with 2 years remaining. So the Brewers should keep Hader for at least one more.

Edited by Philip
Addendum

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So the Brewers, who have won 96 and 89 games the last two years, should be trading their relief ace who is under control for four more seasons?

I mean sure, that maximizes his trade value.    It also minimizes his playing contributions to the Brewers while they are a contending team.    

When a mid market team has an absolute elite player I think it makes sense to cash in. How many more games do you think they’d lose if they traded Hader but gained a couple major league ready players plus some prospects? Obviously it’s speculative and highly debatable but when you’re not a large market team and you’re looking for continued relevance rather than a window then you move the pieces with bloated value. Subjective, sure. Maybe a year too early, sure. But we’d be in a lot different of a place I think if we made some smart trades when our players were elite.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's risky.  Hader is one of those relievers that is worth more than the stats show.  He's a big ingredient of their recipe of success.  I guess they could trade him for a big return, then sign Betances.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I agree completely, but I don’t think Hader is at peak value yet. Isn’t this his first year of arbitration?

it is way too soon to trade him, especially because the Brewers have no one with whom to replace him and they are still in a playoff phase. The best time to trade a guy is with 2 years remaining. So the Brewers should keep Hader for at least one more.

He's not going to get better than he is right now and his value isn't going to increase as he gets more expensive.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He's not going to get better than he is right now and his value isn't going to increase as he gets more expensive.

Yes, I suppose I express myself poorly. His ability as a player won’t necessarily continue to improve, but right now he is inexpensive enough that he would not bring commensurate value in a trade. After his second arbitration Year, he will be more expensive, considerably more expensive, but he will still have a lot of value, and the Brewers will have gotten another couple of years of good service out of him. I think that would be a better time to trade him

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

At this point it's best for us to just want the big money teams to do what they do, which would be Hader to NYY, and Betances to LAD.  Then we could market Givens to MIL, MINN, PHIL, and NYM, as a cheap alternative.  Possibly even HOU.    

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not trying to minimize what Hader is...just saying that the Brewers window is pretty close to shutting and trading him could be an excellent way of getting some ML ready talent in. 

Also, I would think trying to make a run at extending Yelich would be somewhat more realistic if they were not spending the money Hader will earn in arbitration.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Didn’t he say controversial stuff on social media?  Maybe that is why they want to trade him.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Didn’t he say controversial stuff on social media?  Maybe that is why they want to trade him.  

His remarks were made in high school, and unearthed in July 2018.     It would be odd if they had any impact on the Brewers wanting to trade him in the 2019-20 offseason.