Mychal Givens

weams

GIvens would be the closer or closer in waiting on many major league ball clubs.

We really have four guys with closer stuff on the team: Britton, O'Day, Brach, and Givens. Four guys that pound the zone and miss bats. It's a nice problem to have.

It's not a problem 'tall, with as many IP as we need out of the bullpen. :eek:

I would say we even have five if you include Bundy -- of course Bundy's future lies in the rotation for now.

It's not a problem 'tall, with as many IP as we need out of the bullpen. :eek:

I would say we even have five if you include Bundy -- of course Bundy's future lies in the rotation for now.

Bundy hasn't looked at all dominant to me. Straight fastball coming at 92-94. Haven't seen a whole lot of his secondary pitches. The change looked real good in Spring Training. He has only 1 K in 5 or 6 IP. Maybe his stuff will get there after he builds up some arm strength, but it isn't there right now.

o

(vs. WHITE SOX, 4/28)

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base, 2 outs, and the Orioles holding a 5-2 lead.

Ceded a walk, then struck out the next batter to end the inning.

The next inning he got 2 quick outs, then gave up an infield single, an outfield single, then struck out the next batter to end the threat.

1.33 shutout innings overall, and he stranded 2 inherited runners.

Not really a consideration if he's sent down. Roster flexibility.

Manny and Schoop have some options left. Why don't we send them down?

I'm a proponent of putting the best team on the field. If you got two guys in the back end of the bullpen that are relatively equal and you want to send one down to keep the other guy in your organization i understand that. But Givens is too good.

I was pretty pissed when we sent him down for Jason Garcia last year in the middle of a playoff hunt. This was just after giving up our best active pitching prospect for Gerardo Parra. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Manny and Schoop have some options left. Why don't we send them down?

I'm a proponent of putting the best team on the field. If you got two guys in the back end of the bullpen that are relatively equal and you want to send one down to keep the other guy in your organization i understand that. But Givens is too good.

I was pretty pissed when we sent him down for Jason Garcia last year in the middle of a playoff hunt. This was just after giving up our best active pitching prospect for Gerardo Parra. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Pitchers are more expendable because of how they're used. Manny and Schoop are everyday players.

Pitchers are more expendable because of how they're used. Manny and Schoop are everyday players.

That may be true, but with our starting pitching woes I don't think we can afford to be without any of our crucial bullpen arms.

Shutting teams down in the fifth and sixth inning with the back half of our bullpen (arms 4 through 7) is going to be more important this season than ever.

That may be true, but with our starting pitching woes I don't think we can afford to be without any of our crucial bullpen arms.

Shutting teams down in the fifth and sixth inning with the back half of our bullpen (arms 4 through 7) is going to be more important this season than ever.

It's more likely Wright or Wilson go down.

It's more likely Wright or Wilson go down.

I would think McFarland.

Wright and Wilson are solidly in the rotation for now. No one in the minors is pushing them and if we allow Gallardo back in the rotation without an improved fastball.....I just don't know what to say.

I would think McFarland.

Wright and Wilson are solidly in the rotation for now. No one in the minors is pushing them and if we allow Gallardo back in the rotation without an improved fastball.....I just don't know what to say.

I don't think he is on the short list to get sent down but the season is long.

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. ASTROS, 5/24)

2.33 shutout innings.

Entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd base with 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th inning in a tie game. Stranded the potential winning run at 2nd base to end the threat.

Retired all 7 batters that he faced.

4 out of the 7 outs that he recorded were strikeouts.

Edited by OFFNY
  • Upvote 1