Not signing Miler and Cruz is going to haunt this team and it's fans for years to come......

islandecho

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see 2018 as more important than this year, as it is likely to be the last year we have Jones or Machado.

The thought of 37 year old Cruz, 34 year old Markakis, and 33 year old Miller on that team and costing a collective $32.75 million is less than inspiring.

I was fine with losing Cakes. That offsets much of Millers and Cruz's contracts right there. Add in the fact next year we are losing Wieters, Davis, and a few others, and that more than makes up the difference. All I know is Miller and Cruz are the best in baseball at what they do TODAY, and they should be O's. They are not. Why? Because Os management is conservative and for lack or a better word, cheap.

No it doesn't. The Orioles payroll was set at about 125 million dollars. "Cakes" means nothing on this. You think that Dan did not want a higher payroll or the Angelos family did not want a higher income on their investment?

I have done two things in my life to earn a living. I have owned and trained race horses and I have been a stock daytrader for many years. In both cases, I could give a flying F what a horse was like 2 years ago or what a company or stock was 9 months ago. I care about today and the future. When people value a racehorse, they don't value him on what he did as a two year old when he is now 4. It makes no difference. I care about how fast he is going NOW and who he is beating NOW. That is how I and anyone determines a horses value.

Same with a stock. A company's stock based on how the company was performing 6 months ago has no meaning to what it will do today or in the future. For example, NTEK. A 4 k streaming company. 6 months ago they were struggling getting their product launched and partnerships created. And the stock suffered down to 1.5 cents. Then just this week they have announced deals with SONY and have their product being sold on BestBuys website and the stock is starting to rebound and I think it will be a 40-50 cent stock in a year.

Stop looking at things things that don't matter and start looking at things that do.

I absolutely understand now. But I am confused on two points. First, would a penny stock trader not enjoy the Dan Duquette method of roster construction? And Horses are quite fickle. Injuries and barn fires and such. Certainly they are not a commodity that you would choose to buy and hold. At least not for racing purposes. Right?

No it doesn't. The Orioles payroll was set at about 125 million dollars. "Cakes" means nothing on this. You think that Dan did not want a higher payroll or the Angelos family did not want a higher income on their investment?

Again, I have said we would have a higher payroll THIS year. Not next or the year after because we are losing core players. Which is why "going for it" this year was all the more crucial. Odds are next year we will not be a very good team. Plus if you asked me right now if having Miller and Cruz is worth it for the net 3-4 years? I would say hell yes.

I have done two things in my life to earn a living. I have owned and trained race horses and I have been a stock daytrader for many years. In both cases, I could give a flying F what a horse was like 2 years ago or what a company or stock was 9 months ago. I care about today and the future. When people value a racehorse, they don't value him on what he did as a two year old when he is now 4. It makes no difference. I care about how fast he is going NOW and who he is beating NOW. That is how I and anyone determines a horses value.

Same with a stock. A company's stock based on how the company was performing 6 months ago has no meaning to what it will do today or in the future. For example, NTEK. A 4 k streaming company. 6 months ago they were struggling getting their product launched and partnerships created. And the stock suffered down to 1.5 cents. Then just this week they have announced deals with SONY and have their product being sold on BestBuys website and the stock is starting to rebound and I think it will be a 40-50 cent stock in a year.

Stop looking at things things that don't matter and start looking at things that do.

I appreciate that you think these things have some relevance to baseball.

Again, I have said we would have a higher payroll THIS year. Not next or the year after because we are losing core players. Which is why "going for it" this year was all the more crucial. Odds are next year we will not be a very good team. Plus if you asked me right now if having Miller and Cruz is worth it for the net 3-4 years? I would say hell yes.

I think the Orioles, and for all I know a significant part of the fanbase, actually cares about whether the team is good next year and the years after. Most of us are not fans of the Marlins model. We like watching baseball.

Ah so you admit that you aren't operating in the realm of reality while having these discussions.

I absolutely understand now. But I am confused on two points. First, would a penny stock trader not enjoy the Dan Duquette method of roster construction? And Horses are quite fickle. Injuries and barn fires and such. Certainly they are not a commodity that you would choose to buy and hold. At least not for racing purposes. Right?

I dont just trade penny stocks. I trade big boards and options as well. I used NTEK as an example because the stock has fallen 90% in the past 6 months but who's PRESENT AND FUTURE value I hold very very high based on what the company is doing today.

Many owners and trainers buy and hold horses for many years. Especially the harness horses like what I have. Good ones, like good players, do not grow on trees. Your cheaper claimers yes you can buy and sell back and forth, but good ones you want to hold and race as long as possible. Hell islandecho I owned for 12 years. Won over 100 races for me. :)

We don't really need Miller. He is a closer and we already have a very good closer, Zach Britton.

He was our set-up man last year. I have coached college and high school baseball for 31 years. I watched Miller with the Sox, but last year was absolutely awestruck when I saw him live. Randy Johnson in the bullpen. A difference maker. I was on here from day one advocating the importance of signing him. If you have a small window to win the World Series, which has to be our goal you have to spend money. DD wants to be in Toronto, and according to Buster Olney this week Angelos tries to control the press. Instead of worrying about external factors, it would be nice if Angelos focused on making the O's the best franchise in baseball.

I think the Orioles, and for all I know a significant part of the fanbase, actually cares about whether the team is good next year and the years after. Most of us are not fans of the Marlins model. We like watching baseball.

I think it is already pretty understood that we are losing much of our core next year. Would you rather have Miller and Cruz without Davis, Wieters, and others next year? Or going without Wieters, Davis and others along with some players who we don't know yet? I know who I would rather have. The top home run hitter and reliever in all of baseball.

Lastly there is a pattern by the Angelos apologists of personal attacks on posters that disagree with them. Please be professional and try to carry on a logical debate.

Please take your own advice and don't mock people who disagree with you by calling them "Angelos apologists." Thanks.

He was our set-up man last year. I have coached college and high school baseball for 31 years. I watched Miller with the Sox, but last year was absolutely awestruck when I saw him live. Randy Johnson in the bullpen. A difference maker. I was on here from day one advocating the importance of signing him. If you have a small window to win the World Series, which has to be our goal you have to spend money. DD wants to be in Toronto, and according to Buster Olney this week Angelos tries to control the press. Instead of worrying about external factors, it would be nice if Angelos focused on making the O's the best franchise in baseball.

I have no idea where you get this wacky Duquette to Toronto and Angelos controlling the press stuff. It is comment section material only. And I do appreciate that as a coach, you understand the joys and attributes of amateur baseball.

Archived