Not signing Miler and Cruz is going to haunt this team and it's fans for years to come......

islandecho

How many sides of your mouth can you talk out of at one time? You say that this team isn't good enough to play .500 ball, then you say if we added the best DH and the best setup guy in the league we'd be assured of winning. WTF?

Now you seem to be concerned that some of the not so very talented players on the team will be leaving after this season. Shouldn't we be throwing a party for them? Why do we need their sorry butts on this team? If they aren't very good, they shouldn't be difficult to replace.

You also mentioned making substantial bets on the team last March, which was four months before Miller even joined it. And, you don't care that Markakis is gone, so, what you seem to be saying that Nelson Cruz was the sole difference in this team going to the ALCS and being a less than .500 team, even though we scored fewer runs last season than the one before.

For an "objective" person, you don't make much sense.

I am saying that signing Cruz and Miller would have given us the best opp to win. IF we gave it our best shot and still failed? At least we tried. Nothing is a given. But at least we didn't give up like we did this year.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am saying that signing Cruz and Miller would have given us the best opp to win. IF we gave it our best shot and still failed? At least we tried. Nothing is a given. But at least we didn't give up like we did this year.

Weird the way they raised payroll while giving up.

No. That is not acceptable to a situation that would have by definition tied the hands of an organization for years to come. Not a "oh well" kinda guy when you are betting it all. As you can tell, I don't take big risks. I enjoy things as they are in my life too much.

Weird the way they raised payroll while giving up.

You know what this board reminds me of? A stock message board where no matter how many facts and solid arguments a person makes as to why the company or stock is a failure, you will always have your die hard longs who are so blindly colored by the kool aid they drink that they wiill never see things as they really are.

Sure, it could have given up the best opp to win this year. Probably not the best opp to win the next three years tho.

No. That is not acceptable to a situation that would have by definition tied the hands of an organization for years to come. Not a "oh well" kinda guy when you are betting it all. As you can tell, I don't take big risks. I enjoy things as they are in my life too much.

You and others keep saying this as if it's a given that Miller and Cruz are going to have one good year and fall off the planet after. How do you, I , or anyone know? We don't. I could say that about any ball player on the planet. You take risks. Some you win, some you lose. But at least you tried. Those contracts were not that outlandish. Anyone saying they are are just spinning the company line.

You and others keep saying this as if it's a given that Miller and Cruz are going to have one good year and fall off the planet after. How do you, I , or anyone know? We don't. I could say that about any ball player on the planet. You take risks. Some one win some you lose. But at least you tried. Those contracts were not that outlandish. Anyone saying they are are just spinning the company line.

That is funny since no one here is saying they are outlandish. We are saying that they got more then it would be prudent for the Orioles to pay.

Well except the Markakis deal, that one was cray cray.

You know what this board reminds me of? A stock message board where no matter how many facts and solid arguments a person makes as to why the company or stock is a failure, you will always have your die hard longs who are so blindly colored by the kool aid they drink that they wiill never see things as they really are.

You actually haven't laid out any facts or solid arguments, just your opinion, which is based on your experience as a gambler. Well, with gambling you always have the opportunity to stop at any time. With a four-year MLB contract you are on the hook, no matter how they perform.

You and others keep saying this as if it's a given that Miller and Cruz are going to have one good year and fall off the planet after. How do you, I , or anyone know? We don't. I could say that about any ball player on the planet. You take risks. Some one win some you lose. But at least you tried. Those contracts were not that outlandish. Anyone saying they are are just spinning the company line.

Um, even a lot of Seattle fans thought that giving 4 years, ~$60 million to a 34 year old DH with an injury history and a PED track record was stupid and "outlandish."

Because pretty much all of the pertinent data says that it is, in fact, stupid and outlandish.

You and others keep saying this as if it's a given that Miller and Cruz are going to have one good year and fall off the planet after. How do you, I , or anyone know? We don't. I could say that about any ball player on the planet. You take risks. Some you win, some you lose. But at least you tried. Those contracts were not that outlandish. Anyone saying they are are just spinning the company line.
That is funny since no one here is saying they are outlandish. We are saying that they got more then it would be prudent for the Orioles to pay.

Well, now that it is brought up. Since they both went to their best or second best offer,(Miller to New York by choice)their contracts are by definition outliers to the statistical valuation to the only other buyers in the market.

Um, even a lot of Seattle fans thought that giving 4 years, ~$60 million to a 34 year old DH with an injury history and a PED track record was stupid and "outlandish."

Because pretty much all of the pertinent data says that it is, in fact, stupid and outlandish.

I am thrilled that he has nine homers. I hope he keeps it up and beats the As and the Royals.

That's my favorite thing in the world. "Your plan isn't the same as my plan so your plan is really sabotaging the franchise on purpose."

I'm actually going to say the Cruz deal is outlandish. The Mariners are betting on him being worth as much from 34-37 as he was in his 20s, or from 30-33.

You actually haven't laid out any facts or solid arguments, just your opinion, which is based on your experience as a gambler. Well, with gambling you always have the opportunity to stop at any time. With a four-year MLB contract you are on the hook, no matter how they perform.

Hey, good organizations like the Angels just pay their money and walk away from a poor contract.

You're actually advocating that past performance is essentially irrelevant. If you had a good year last year, go for it!

Archived