Not signing Miler and Cruz is going to haunt this team and it's fans for years to come......

islandecho

That's my favorite thing in the world. "Your plan isn't the same as my plan so your plan is really sabotaging the franchise on purpose."

As I stated earlier, 99.999999% of most teams who get so close as we did last year, do all they can to make their team better the following year knowing that opps do not grow on trees. They go for it. Especially knowing the team as it presently is probably will not be together the year after.

We did the exact opposite.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're actually advocating that past performance is essentially irrelevant. If you had a good year last year, go for it!

When I bet a race? I weigh most of my decision on how the horse did in the last one or two races, not what he did 8 races ago.

As I stated earlier, 99.999999% of most teams who get so close as we did last year, do all they can to make their team better the following year knowing that opps do not grow on trees. They go for it. Especially knowing the team as it presently is probably will not be together the year after.

Wait. How did the Royals, who got closer than us, GO FOR IT? They piddled with lucky scraps. By the way, your odds are way off. There are only 30 teams. It does not carry out that many decimal places. And the numbers are wrong too.

When I bet a race? I weigh most of my decision on how the horse did in the last one or two races, not what he did 8 races ago.

That makes sense. If you are playing one day fantasy baseball. And not a 162+ game marathon. What if you had to bet out 162+ races ahead of time.

Wait. How did the Royals, who got closer than us, GO FOR IT? They piddled with lucky scraps. By the way, your odds are way off. There are only 30 teams. It does not carry out that many decimal places. And the numbers are wrong too.

As far as I know they did not lose their best hitter or lights out reliever and replace them with scraps. We did. Plus their team is made up differently. Different ages, different contracts, different types of players. Can't really compare the two situations. They have more time to work with.

It'll take a bit of time, but I'm sure I can find more than zero playoff teams (you did use six-digit certainty, which I'm just rounding off to zero) who failed to go all in the next year. Actually, no it won't. The 1979 Orioles lost the World Series. By your logic they should have added a bunch of pieces to make sure that didn't happen again. But the 1980 Orioles were pretty much exactly the same team.

I'm not going to indulge this fantasy any more, but I could probably find dozens of playoff teams that didn't follow your model.

It'll take a bit of time, but I'm sure I can find more than zero playoff teams (you did use six-digit certainty, which I'm just rounding off to zero) who failed to go all in the next year. Actually, no it won't. The 1979 Orioles lost the World Series. By your logic they should have added a bunch of pieces to make sure that didn't happen again. But the 1980 Orioles were pretty much exactly the same team.

I'm not going to indulge this fantasy any more, but I could probably find dozens of playoff teams that didn't follow your model.

We are not the exact same team as last year.

Yep. Don't see where the A's or Angels did much either. If anything, the A's hurt themselves by "going for it" last year. Every team has a budget. Like it or not.

You really have no idea how to forecast baseball, do you?

Do you see any budding superstars in the minors? I certainly don't.

Do you have any faith that PA will spend the money to replace the quality players he lost last year and will lose next year? I certainly don't.

If you think this O's team is just going to keep plugging in players and 'hoping' and having it all work out like has happened the past few years? Then I don't know what to say. But odds are not in your favor.

Yep. Don't see where the A's or Angels did much either. If anything, the A's hurt themselves by "going for it" last year. Every team has a budget. Like it or not.

Apparently "going for it" is always worthwhile even if you fail, because not going for it is giving up. And giving up is bad.

Archived