Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

7 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

The thrower of that pitch to McCann should be suspended for the rest of the season, if not for life. It was that scary and intentional. If Gerardi (from the clubhouse) or a coach called for that pitch the same goes for them. I am not opposed to a brushback pitch thigh high or so at 85 or so..but to throw that hard and high is just wrong.

I would support a 15-game suspension because it is a fastball above the shoulders and it is clearly intentional.. And, like PED usage, the length of suspension gets longer for repeat offenders. 

But we need to be careful what we wish for or the league will start doling month-long suspensions to pitchers who flip curveballs off batters' butts.

15 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I would support a 15-game suspension because it is a fastball above the shoulders and it is clearly intentional.. And, like PED usage, the length of suspension gets longer for repeat offenders. 

But we need to be careful what we wish for or the league will start doling month-long suspensions to pitchers who flip curveballs off batters' butts.

I would support Brian McCann  being able to select the pitcher of his choice to throw a fastball at Betances' head. I guarantee you Betances' head hunting days would be over for good after that experience.

Honestly, I can't think of anything more cowardly than throwing a baseball at someone. As archaic as fighting is in hockey, I can at least respect the fact that it's two men on equal terms. In baseball it's like giving one man a gun and the other a stick. 

MLB also needs to levy heavy fines on anyone who leaves the bench. The first fight was basically over until the bullpen pitchers came sprinting in from the OF to stir things up again. 

And much like umpires catchers need to go back to being seen and not heard. A catcher should never be the one instigating a fight. There's no reason a catcher needs to talk back if the batter's complaining about the strike zone. Let the umpire do his job and keep your mouth shut. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Yes, you do have to be careful. However, in this situation after warnings had been given, there is reason for a very strong discipline.  The player in the batter's box should be pretty comfortable that no such pitch was on its way. I said I really don't think 80 mph, curves, change ups at the butt are a huge issue. Even throwing behind the hitter with a fastball. This was a no nonsense, shot at the head. Whether he was dumb enough to throw that pitch on his or a coach/manager told him so something has to be done. IMO the minimum should be season ending. All, players and managers would be on notice and think twice.

16 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

The bean ball to McCann's head was scary. But I guess those hi-tech batting helmets work.

11 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

o

Last week was the 50th Anniversary of the Tony Conigliaro beaning.

Beaning Sends Ailing Tony Conigliaro to Hospital

(By Clif Keane)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/1967/08/19/beaning-sends-ailing-tony-conigliaro-hospital/vCsgsKec7l5lvoF0mN9xSK/story.html

Conigliaro.jpg

o

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

I don't know if the pitcher hit him on purpose or not.  Someone is going to killed one of these days. If he hadn't hit the helmet and hit him in the face it might have killed him. Go back to 1920 Carl Mays of the Yankees hit a player for the Indians in the head. He died. I sure as hell wouldn't face MLB pitcher. 

17 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

The thrower of that pitch to McCann should be suspended for the rest of the season, if not for life. It was that scary and intentional. If Gerardi (from the clubhouse) or a coach called for that pitch the same goes for them. I am not opposed to a brushback pitch thigh high or so at 85 or so..but to throw that hard and high is just wrong.

I agree with you. A brushback pitch is fine but not aimed at the head. And if a coach did call for it then suspend him for the rest of the season with a stiff fine. But I don't expect MLB to do anything. They haven't got the balls to do that. 

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree with you. A brushback pitch is fine but not aimed at the head. And if a coach did call for it then suspend him for the rest of the season with a stiff fine. But I don't expect MLB to do anything. They haven't got the balls to do that. 

And you're right.  Betances doesn't even get a fine. Nothing.  

If you don't think it was intentional, you should note that that was only the 2nd RH hitter he has hit with a pitch in his career.  Is it really coincidence that happened then? 

o

(AUGUST 25th)

The Orioles win.

The Yankees lose.

There is still a lot of baseball left to be played this season. If the Orioles keep winning games more often than not, they can get one of the 2 available Wild-Card spots. If they keep going .500, it won't matter what the other 5 or 6 teams that are fighting for those 2 spots do.

o