Roch: Penn Cut

dkdc

It's not just 5 IP...it's his side sessions, his poor AFL campaign, etc.

Trembley said publicly that he was impressed with Penn's side sessions. He said that Penn's fastball looked really nice. Of course you're free to your own opinions, but it seems like you're not paying much attention to what's been written this ST.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to agree with this. I really don't have a problem making Penn force his way to the big leagues by pitching well in AAA this year.

Me neither. I'm disappointed for him, but it is not really that surprising considering his inactivity last year.

Looking at our rotation, I guarantee you that we will end up giving 30-60 starts to pitchers who were not in the rotation on Opening Day. 25-30 is absolutely typical for any team, and with this team, 50-60 would not be surprising. Therefore, there is going to be plenty of opportunity for whoever is shining at Norfolk to make their way to Baltimore. Just to give two recent examples of pitchers who jumped even further, Cabrera came to Baltimore in May 2004, and Loewen came to Baltimore in May or June 2006 after Penn got appendicits the day after he was called up. Both ended up making a lot of major league starts that year. You can be pretty sure someone, maybe two guys, will end up in that category this year.

The AFL campaign is irrelevant, he was coming off of the surgery, can't really expect him to be at his best.

We have no idea how his side sessions are going, but they aren't as important as pitching against live competition.

The problem isn't that he's only gotten to pitch 5 innings up to this point, thats about on par with the other starters. The problem is he won't get a chance to compete further, when he hasn't done anything to really indicate he's not ready.

He's got an option, so its not a major deal, but it is a bit unfair to Penn. He's worked hard to get ready, and should've gotten a fair shake. As long as they consider him one of the first callups if he's pitching well in the minors, everything will be fine, but they can't let him rot at AAA and give MLB starts to Trachsel and if he struggles like I expect, Cabrera.

How is it unfair? How many chances does he need? Other than Cabrera, Penn seems to have had more than most. This guy is his own worst enemy. He and Cabrera, but at least Cabrera trips on the field and doesn't hurt himself!

How is it unfair? How many chances does he need? Other than Cabrera, Penn seems to have had more than most.

You call 58 IP in the majors and being freakishly injured and unable to pitch for most of the last 2 years after having a 3.61 ERA in the minors "more chances than most?"

This is a new low, even for you.

You call 58 IP in the majors and being freakishly injured and unable to pitch for most of the last 2 years after having a 3.61 ERA in the minors "more chances than most?"

This is a new low, even for you.

What I mean is he has been looked at quite a bit in spring training more than once. He also got to pitch awhile at the major league level and got tattooed like he was throwing batting practice. I think this kid was hugely overated to begin with and now he is showing he is what he is, which is not major league caliber. He needs to go back to the minors and prove himself there by staying healthy and putting up good numbers. So far he hasn't. A .361 ERA in the minors doesn't impress me much. The ball is in his court so to speak. As far as trade value, I don't see any.

Albers AND Gallagher should be in the rotation IMO.(throw Olson in that mix as well)

BTW, i still think albers is destined for the pen in the long run but it would be nice if he could be a starter.

Whether its Albers, Olson, Burres, or whoever we would like to get the #5 slot, it will become a moot point when the O's sign another veteran pitcher from the over-the-hill scrapheap to satisfy some senseless co-dependency need.

As for Gallagher being in the mix....IMO, the Roberts trade ain't gonna happen unless MacPhail gets the mix of players he wants. And right now, it looks like the Cubs, nor anyone else, is going to do that.

Whether its Albers, Olson, Burres, or whoever we would like to get the #5 slot, will become a moot point when the O's sign another veteran pitcher from the over-the-hill scrapheap to satisfy some senseless co-dependency need.

As for Gallagher being in the mix....IMO, the Roberts trade ain't gonna happen unless MacPhail gets the mix of players he wants. And right now, it looks like the Cubs, nor anyone else, is going to do that.

So what? No need in just giving Roberts away. I still see McPhail in the drivers seat with Roberts. The Orioles don't have a valid leadoff hitter on the roster anyway, so they must get top value or just keep him.

What I mean is he has been looked at quite a bit in spring training more than once. He also got to pitch awhile at the major league level and got tattooed like he was throwing batting practice. I think this kid was hugely overated to begin with and now he is showing he is what he is, which is not major league caliber. He needs to go back to the minors and prove himself there by staying healthy and putting up good numbers. So far he hasn't. A .361 ERA in the minors doesn't impress me much. The ball is in his court so to speak. As far as trade value, I don't see any.

Let's see what he can do when he is completely healthy. I think he will do well in AAA and will challenge someone to make the rotation around June.

So what? No need in just giving Roberts away. I still see McPhail in the drivers seat with Roberts. The Orioles don't have a valid leadoff hitter on the roster anyway, so they must get top value or just keep him.

Oh, good -- I was really hoping this would turn into another Brian Roberts trade thread. :rolleyes: Where's Dave?

You are cherry picking stats. Penn has pitched better than Olson, Loewen, Burress and Trax. He doesn't have the innings as Cabrera, but he's been more consistent. He's getting sent down because he has only one option left. Once that's used up, he's up for good, like it or not.

Cherry picking stats? I'm outlining all his stats since he came back from injury. Isn't that what should be highlighted?

Since his injury he's had:

6 starts (19IP) in Gulf Coast League and Aberdeen in August

16 IP in Norfolk in August and September

22 IP in AFL

5 IP in ST

Trembley said publicly that he was impressed with Penn's side sessions. He said that Penn's fastball looked really nice. Of course you're free to your own opinions, but it seems like you're not paying much attention to what's been written this ST.

No I didn't see Trembley's comments. But I do see Penn has 1 K in 5 IP this spring. That's not that good.

Archived