Mid season top 20 prospect?

wildcard

Tough one. I'll put Bundy and Harvey back in for this one.

1. Dylan Bundy

2. Hunter Harvey

3. Jomar Reyes

4. Zach Davies

5. Chance Sisco

6. D.J. Stewart

7. Dariel Alvarez

8. Trey Mancini

9. Mike Wright

10. Mychal Givens

11. Ryan Mountcastle

12. Ofelky Peralta

13. Jonah Heim

14. Christian Walker

15. Tanner Scott

16. Oliver Drake

17. Joe Gunkel

18. Josh Hart

19. David Hess

20. Parker Bridwell

Good list. I'm not even going to bother making one now.

1. Dylan Bundy

2. Hunter Harvey

3. Jomar Reyes

4. Zach Davies

5. Chance Sisco

6. D.J. Stewart

7. Dariel Alvarez

8. Trey Mancini

9. Mike Wright

10. Mychal Givens

11. Ryan Mountcastle

12. Ofelky Peralta

13. Jonah Heim

14. Christian Walker

15. Tanner Scott

16. Oliver Drake

17. Joe Gunkel

18. Josh Hart

19. David Hess

20. Parker Bridwell

No Tyler Wilson?

IMO, our system is not deep enough to keep a second round pick, a $1M draft pick and maybe even a third rounder out of the Top 20.

I can't find the BA 2015 Prospect Handbook, but the 2014 version has our 2013 1, 1S, 2, 5, 11 and 22 in the Top 20 if I'm not missing any.

I think our current Top 20 is weaker than that 2014 one.

Of course, we haven't announced signing Hughes, but he should be in there when he signs and IMO Fenter should be in there as well.

1. Dylan Bundy

2. Hunter Harvey

3. Jomar Reyes

4. Zach Davies

5. Chance Sisco

6. D.J. Stewart

7. Dariel Alvarez

8. Trey Mancini

9. Mike Wright

10. Mychal Givens

11. Ryan Mountcastle

12. Ofelky Peralta

13. Jonah Heim

14. Christian Walker

15. Tanner Scott

16. Oliver Drake

17. Joe Gunkel

18. Josh Hart

19. David Hess

20. Parker Bridwell

Thanks for the list. Two questions:

1. Do you really think Bundy is going to be a major league starter? He doesn't belong as #1 if he is a reliever. The injuries sound pretty career threatening to me. Love your insight into why you kept him #1.

2. I would like to hear your response to why Wilson in not on the list. And if he was forgotten where he belongs on the list.

Thanks again for putting the list together. You know a lot more about this area then I do.

Hughes is an under slot pick. Not a true 2nd rounder. By Sept. 1, there may be more 2015 draftees on my list. BA is doing a mid season top 20 so we'll get to see soon.

Bundy is a huge question mark. Benefit of the doubt right now.

Wilson. Nothing stands out. K rate down this year. Don't see much upside as starter or reliever.

I could have easily put Wilson between 11-20. Personal preference based on what I've seen.

I would have had Bundy 9th on my list. The injury sounds career threatening.

I think Wilson's stand out traits are his pitchability and control. He is a pitchers not a thrower. I could see him in the rotation next year. I would put him 10th.

Of course the only way I can even do this is take your list and add to it. I don't think I could have put a good top 20 together without seeing yours.

Zach Davies is a pitcher and not a thrower. Same as Wilson. Except Davies actually has some really nice looking secondary pitches. I don't see that with Wilson. If you are going with the career threatening scenario, why even have Bundy 9th? I figure two scenarios. 1) He gets healthy and is a starting pitcher eventually 2) he never has any kind of career because of injury. So, for me, he's either #1 or not on the list at all. I think putting him 9th is like hedging your bet.

Its sounds to me like the injury will cause Bundy to miss most if not all of this season. Next season is in question. If he does go on a rehab assignment it will be no more than 30 days next year. He hasn't worked enough innings this year to go very far as a starter next year. He may start his career in the majors as a reliever. That is why I dropped him from #1 to #9.

I am not willing to say he will never pitch or never pitch for the O's but his career path looks altered as far as I can tell.

Hughes is an under slot pick. Not a true 2nd rounder. By Sept. 1, there may be more 2015 draftees on my list. BA is doing a mid season top 20 so we'll get to see soon.

Bundy is a huge question mark. Benefit of the doubt right now.

Wilson. Nothing stands out. K rate down this year. Don't see much upside as starter or reliever.

I could have easily put Wilson between 11-20. Personal preference based on what I've seen.

I'm curious to see how aggressive they are with some of the HS bats picked up this year. They pushed hard on Sisco and he performed. Reyes looked good before his injury as a teenager in Delmarva. They pushed hard on Schoop when he first came into the system.

Wonder if we'll see Mountcastle, Heinrich, Curran, Diaz, McKenna forming one of the youngest squads in the SAL next season. All probably depends on their performance this summer in the GCL

I'm curious to see how aggressive they are with some of the HS bats picked up this year. They pushed hard on Sisco and he performed. Reyes looked good before his injury as a teenager in Delmarva. They pushed hard on Schoop when he first came into the system.

Wonder if we'll see Mountcastle, Heinrich, Curran, Diaz, McKenna forming one of the youngest squads in the SAL next season. All probably depends on their performance this summer in the GCL

That would be nice to see, because to be honest there's just not a whole lot at Delmarva this year. I have to think they have one of the oldest squads in the league this year, the roster seems to be mostly filled with senior-sign type college players who aren't likely to become prospects. That sounds a little harsh, I'm sure a lot of them are good guys, but there's just not much there.

That would be nice to see, because to be honest there's just not a whole lot at Delmarva this year. I have to think they have one of the oldest squads in the league this year, the roster seems to be mostly filled with senior-sign type college players who aren't likely to become prospects. That sounds a little harsh, I'm sure a lot of them are good guys, but there's just not much there.

Until Reyes is back, Delmarva is a completely skippable box score each morning when I flip through the minor league games. Of course, Frederick isn't much to look at other than Sisco. The GCL team is the most fun to follow.

Until Reyes is back, Delmarva is a completely skippable box score each morning when I flip through the minor league games. Of course, Frederick isn't much to look at other than Sisco. The GCL team is the most fun to follow.

Yeah not much left for promotions to root for either. Probably Wilkerson to A+, Keller to AA, Givens to AAA, Mancini to AAA, Gunkel to AAA. That's about it. It is nice to see Brandon Snyder slugging Bowie into playoff contention.

If you are going with the career threatening scenario, why even have Bundy 9th? I figure two scenarios. 1) He gets healthy and is a starting pitcher eventually 2) he never has any kind of career because of injury. So, for me, he's either #1 or not on the list at all. I think putting him 9th is like hedging your bet.
Its sounds to me like the injury will cause Bundy to miss most if not all of this season. Next season is in question. If he does go on a rehab assignment it will be no more than 30 days next year. He hasn't worked enough innings this year to go very far as a starter next year. He may start his career in the majors as a reliever. That is why I dropped him from #1 to #9.

I am not willing to say he will never pitch or never pitch for the O's but his career path looks altered as far as I can tell.

I don't see anything wrong with hedging your bets. I suppose he still has the highest ceiling of any of our prospects (with Harvey pretty close behind), but it's just not clear his career is ever going to launch.

I don't downgrade Bundy because he might start his career as a reliever, however. That's a byproduct of his injuries, not his talent, and there are still paths to him eventually entering the rotation, though it will be tricky to manage.

I don't see anything wrong with hedging your bets. I suppose he still has the highest ceiling of any of our prospects (with Harvey pretty close behind), but it's just not clear his career is ever going to launch.

I don't downgrade Bundy because he might start his career as a reliever, however. That's a byproduct of his injuries, not his talent, and there are still paths to him eventually entering the rotation, though it will be tricky to manage.

I think his shoulder injury is likely to effect his career. Nick's neck injury effect his ability to hit with power. So physical injury can diminish a player's skills. Some pitchers come back just as good from TJ surgery and some do not. Shoulder injuries are harder to treat and are more likely to cause loss of velocity, control, and the ability to throw breaking pitches from what I have heard over the years.

Britton made it back from shoulder problems. That gives me some hope but many pitchers don't. I think Bundy's injury is serious and will take as while before we know how far he can come back if he can come back at all.

Archived