vs. NATIONALS, 7/12

OFFNY

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe we lest Chen in. I'd have brought Tillman out of the pen myself.

I agree. We have the long break. Definitely fine with getting some non-tired arms in this game. The usual bullpen does not inspire confidence for the remaining innings.

Looks like a strong possibility we are exactly .500 at the break. All you can say is at least the division is weak (relatively speaking) this year. We are underachieving big time since July began. 3 wins so far this month?

I just have this dreaded feeling that we already have left too many wins on the table. If you asked me for a gut feel for how likely it is that we win the division I'd say 20%-25%.

Jones needs to go to the DL. He's really gonna injure himself for the long term trying to play thru an injury.

Gotta agree. At least the rest would do him good. He can rest on the laurel of being named to the A.S. team, but stay home and enjoy the rest and healing time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Or the Williams sisters, but I doubt he'd mention girls.  
    • Possible? Sure. Yet, I'd be surprised by any trades in the divisions, unless it was considered a minor one.  I doubt Elias would want to see any of his prospects helping an AL East rival when he can get similar players elsewhere.
    • Tiger Woods, of course, standing as an excellent example of a guy who was precociously skilled at a sport at a very young age (because his dad made him play) but never quite got there as a pro. There’s some merit to what you’re referencing here. I would absolutely buy that his lifelong exposure to baseball is a significant factor in his success at a young age. But I think that type of thing is far more applicable when evaluating youth or high school, maybe college level players. At lower levels and younger ages, I suspect extreme advantages in experience, practice time, and hands-on coaching can absolutely give a less talented kid a leg up. However, I think there’s a ceiling for how far a ho-hum kid can go on the back of force-fed baseball obsession — and I’m pretty sure that ceiling is a lot lower than “excellent hitter at AAA at age 20.“ I think you have to have the goods to reach that level, no matter how much baseball your daddy exposed you to as a kid. Ceiling-wise, as I’ve said, I do think he’s probably lower than some of these absolute tool demons like Gunnar and Witt and Acuna. I would not trade Gunnar for him, for example. But lots of these guys I’ve compared him to as 2Bs (Cano, Utley, Altuve, Pedroia, Kinsler) were not super tooled-up guys, and they’re all among the 25-50 most valuable players of the last 25 years or so. I don’t know that you have to be a Greek god to be a perennial All-Star type player, at least at that particular position.  
    • Why do you want to elevate the opposing pitcher's pitch count?
    • I really hope that doesn't happen. Hyde said that the 6-man rotation was not going to be a permanent thing, nor should it with our schedule and our bullpen situation. The pen needs a long man. Suarez is a maybe to complete five innings. Suarez should be in the pen, not starting at Yankee Stadium.
    • If a team is not getting walks, they aren't elevating the opponent pitcher's pitch count. They are also having quicker innings and taxing their own pitchers.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now