Trade Watch (It starts)

weams

I can live with this argument, and I wouldn't object if DD made a move or two to position us better. The playoffs are a crapshoot...I just don't believe our team is built to win a playoff series against a really good team.

The playoffs are a complete crapshoot....I still can't believe the 2010, 2012, and 2014 Giants won the World Series. None of their rosters were even remotely impressive outside of maybe 3-4 guys. Line them up against just about any champ in the last 25 years and they fall way short. I am not sure it even matters in the playoffs if you are actually good or not. Just get a couple of guys who are hot at the right time and that is all that seems to matter.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade market for corner OF's. Nice article on MLBTR http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/trade-market-for-corner-outfielders-3.html

It lists the Royals, Angels, Orioles and Met's as the teams really looking to upgrade. Well since then the Royals have gotten Zobrist and the Angels have gotten Victorino. Also the Mets have traded for Johnson and Uribe and called up top OF prosepct M.Conforto. There are more guys available than landing spots.

Trade market for corner OF's. Nice article on MLBTR http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/trade-market-for-corner-outfielders-3.html

It lists the Royals, Angels, Orioles and Met's as the teams really looking to upgrade. Well since then the Royals have gotten Zobrist and the Angels have gotten Victorino. Also the Mets have traded for Johnson and Uribe and called up top OF prosepct M.Conforto. There are more guys available than landing spots.

History suggests we won't make a big move but if there was a time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? It's a buyer's market now. Yeah the offseason sucked for DD but he has a reasonable chance to fix it now without killing our future. Other than Chen the comp picks are going to be better than anything we could get for our guys. These early trades are a good thing. Especially when you see players traded that didn't have to be traded like Tulo. That just adds to the amount of guys available. Hopefully with the Royals buying so much, they will beat the crap out of the AL Central teams hanging around. We should be huge Royals fans the rest of the way. How many true buyers are there in the AL?

New York- Maybe they get a starter or a reliever. We aren't going to be competing with them for the same players. They're targeting the big boys.

Toronto- They're looking to trade for pitching. We're looking to trade for hitting. We aren't going to be competing to trade for the same players

Tampa Bay- They're standing pat like they always do. They definitely aren't buying.

Minnesota- I don't really see them buying. Maybe a vet

Tigers- Hopefully some team blows them away with an offer for Price(I'm looking at you Dodgers), and they realize they're in full sell mode. Adds Cespedes to the market.

White Sox- I don't see them trading for anyone. Just maybe not trading Jeff Z. Doesn't affect us.

Angels- They might add a starter. They already bought their bat/role player. Doesn't really affect us.

Astros- Maybe they look for another starter TOR starter. Their lineup is solid. They don't affect us.

Rangers- They're done. They are just refusing to admit it. Even if they do something crazy and get Hamels, that doesn't really affect us.

The way I see the AL teams is that they're looking for pitching. We're good on that. They might add a couple of bats. But there's way more than a couple of bats available. You could see Cespedes, Cargo, Bruce, Reddick, Parra, Gomez, Upton, Puig, Byrd, Napoli, Nava, Ike Davis, S.Smith, Trumbo, Murphy, Moss, Revere, and Lind all become available.

Three game winning streak, Dan signalling "buy", a bunch of national media tweets and stories connecting the O's to Upton, and now a really thoughtful post like this. I am starting to think this may actually happen. I like Upton and Puig myself but there are a lot of options.

Three game winning streak, Dan signalling "buy", a bunch of national media tweets and stories connecting the O's to Upton, and now a really thoughtful post like this. I am starting to think this may actually happen. I like Upton and Puig myself but there are a lot of options.

Cespedes.

It's quite possible, but I don't see that team being us. We are not an upstart team. We should be sellers at this point. We can't let a few wins against the Rays and Braves determine our direction.

If you look at the seasons of us and the Royals last season they are very similar. The Orioles this season started out 10-10 the first month the Royals were 13-12. Both teams had a bad May were the pitching scuffled a bit and the offense could not score. OnMay 31stthe Royals were 26-29 and we were 23-26 The Roayls got hot in early June and got to 7 games over on the 18th of June at 39-32. The Orioles hit their high mark late June at 41-34. Then both teams fell apart the last part of the first half before the break with neither team scoirng at all. The Royals went into the break at 47-46 after a 7-14 tailspin. The Orioles went in at 44-44 do to a 4-10 tailspin. The Royals came out of the all star break and lost 4 straight to go to 48-50 scoring just 6 runs in that span. The Orioles had a 4 game losing streak 8 runs in 4 games and going to 46-49. The Royals then one the last two on their road trip to start the break and then had a 7 game home stand which they went 5-2 before going out to Oakland. We just took the last two of our road trip and first game at home of the 7 game homestand and then head to Oakland. Now will we have a turn around like the Royals I don't know but the seasons are very similar the Royals went up and down just like us last season then got hot can we do teh same?

56 Mark Buehrle L-L 6'2" 240 Mar 23, 1979

27 Brett Cecil R-L 6'3" 220 Jul 2, 1986

43 R.A. Dickey R-R 6'3" 215 Oct 29, 1974

57 Felix Doubront L-L 6'2" 225 Oct 23, 1987

25 Marco Estrada R-R 6'0" 200 Jul 5, 1983

31 Liam Hendriks R-R 6'1" 205 Feb 10, 1989

36 Drew Hutchison L-R 6'3" 195 Aug 22, 1990

62 Aaron Loup L-L 5'11" 205 Dec 19, 1987

54 Roberto Osuna R-R 6'2" 230 Feb 7, 1995

41 Aaron Sanchez R-R 6'4" 200 Jul 1, 1992

47 Bo Schultz R-R 6'3" 220 Sep 25, 1985

52 Ryan Tepera R-R 6'1" 180 Nov 3, 1987

I like the idea of trading for Marlon Byrd. I don't think he would cost us as much as Upton and Cespedes would, and he would be a massive upgrade over the corpses we've been using in the corner spots.

You mean the same Marlon Byrd who's been worth 0.5 rWAR or 0.0 fWAR? He's a below-average LF with a sub-.300 OBP. Even if you think Snider is overrated by defensive metrics he's still about the same player as Byrd.

The playoffs are a complete crapshoot....I still can't believe the 2010, 2012, and 2014 Giants won the World Series. None of their rosters were even remotely impressive outside of maybe 3-4 guys. Line them up against just about any champ in the last 25 years and they fall way short. I am not sure it even matters in the playoffs if you are actually good or not. Just get a couple of guys who are hot at the right time and that is all that seems to matter.

There is no such thing as a building a team to win in the playoffs. I mean, besides just building a team that's clearly better than everyone else and taking your chances.

I'm mucchhhhh more concerned with scoring runs for the last 70 games than I am defending left freaking field. Come on. Our LF numbers are pathetic. And then put in Lough defensively when you need to.

I mean, you were around for Nelson Cruz last year, right? Same idea.

Marlon Byrd is doing pretty much exactly what Snider/Pearce/Young were supposed to do. Hit about .250 and have a bunch of home runs.

I have little interest in a guy who can't field and can't get on base but hits a few homers. Isn't that really the team's weakness? If it were me and I was done with Snider I'd just put Lough there and appreciate the +15 defense.

Like you can't tell me you would not take Byrd over Snider right now. Or even Byrd over Reimold. That's not an argument you're allowed to make as a person that follows baseball.

If Byrd is all we go out and get, great. SIGN ME UP. Send Snider packing. He had a good half season last year that was clearly a fluke. Literally anybody is better than Travis Snider right now. I loved when we were running Lough out there in LF because he at least brings SOMEthing to the table, be it speed or bunting ability or defense. I dunno what Snider brings. It's not power, speed, defense, or average. He can take a walk sometimes. That's all I got.

I don't understand why you think that a guy with a .290 OBP is going to be a key to scoring more runs.

I have little interest in a guy who can't field and can't get on base but hits a few homers. Isn't that really the team's weakness? If it were me and I was done with Snider I'd just put Lough there and appreciate the +15 defense.

Agreed, given choices on current roster lough would be my LF.

Archived