Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

The trade is ONLY a good one IF we make the playoffs. Only one East team is getting a wildcard, and it sure looks like Toronto. Tulo, Price, Revere, Lowe.... we had trouble getting wins against them before.

Why does it look like Toronto? Screw them - it will be us.

The point is that the trade does nothing to push us closer to contention and we trade a starter with six years of control for that.

You have said this several times now. It is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but it certainly isn't fact.

The Orioles are definitely already in contention, and the lineup looks better with Parra than it did without him. Whether it is enough to make the playoffs is something we will have to find out. It is also not a given that Davies will be a MLB starter for six years.

I'm shocked this poll is so close. Anyone that thinks Davies is a small price to pay for a guy who probably won't make much of a difference over the guys we have out there now really are either underestimating Davies as a prospect or overestimating what Parra brings.

If Parra had an extra year or two on his contract like the Norris deal a few years ago I'd be ok with this deal i guess, but Parra is not the kind of impact player that Miller was and the Orioles are not in the same situation as they were last year.

At the end of the day, the Orioles are essentially competing with teams like the Blue Jays for that final wild card spot and they added Price and Tulowitzwski and we added Parra.

We were/are basically tied with Toronto at the trade deadline.

They add: Tulo, Price, Revere, and Lowe

We add: Parra

and we are somehow more likely to compete for the last WC spot?

In a vacuum this is a bad trade, placed in context with what the other contenders added this is a horrible trade with zero upside.

In a vacuum this is a bad trade, placed in context with what the other contenders added this is a horrible trade with zero upside.

I'm certainly not disagreeing.

The Blue Jays have +56 run differential on the O's. One of those teams was already better than the other.

The Blue Jays have +56 run differential on the O's. One of those teams was already better than the other.

Yeah, the Blue Jays are a better team than us. I think our only hope is that both wild cards come out of the east, or the Yankees totally collapse.

The career numbers are similar.

I'm not going to argue too much, it's not like we just replaced Deivi Cruz with Cal Ripken. But Snider's somewhat similar numbers are in platoon/part time roles, Lough isn't nearly the hitter and has about as many career PAs as Parra did in 2013, and Reimold was last healthy in the 1940s. Parra has been more-or-less an everyday player since 2009.