Bedard Article

wiosfan

I didn't see this posted before

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aoht2v7sf3nl9QAT1Xpl.iIRvLYF?slug=ti-mariners032608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I love this part...

All of which found Bedard reclined in a clubhouse folding chair, shoes kicked off, half-gnawed apple in his pitching hand. Already he’s earned a reputation among Seattle writers for being as minimally cooperative as possible while still technically responding to questions. He was aloof and dismissive again Wednesday, so difficult to read on the topics of his spring and summer. He stands on the brink of taking the ball for the first contending team he’ll play on, sporting a spring ERA of nearly 9, and the request was to describe his responsibility pitching from the top of the rotation when the expectations are so high.

“I have no idea,” he said. “I don’t have any.”

No idea? Or no responsibility?

“No responsibility,” he said.

I didn't see this posted before

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aoht2v7sf3nl9QAT1Xpl.iIRvLYF?slug=ti-mariners032608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I love this part...

All of which found Bedard reclined in a clubhouse folding chair, shoes kicked off, half-gnawed apple in his pitching hand. Already he’s earned a reputation among Seattle writers for being as minimally cooperative as possible while still technically responding to questions. He was aloof and dismissive again Wednesday, so difficult to read on the topics of his spring and summer. He stands on the brink of taking the ball for the first contending team he’ll play on, sporting a spring ERA of nearly 9, and the request was to describe his responsibility pitching from the top of the rotation when the expectations are so high.

“I have no idea,” he said. “I don’t have any.”

No idea? Or no responsibility?

“No responsibility,” he said.

Remember Bedard's first start last year? Six hits; five walks; six earned runs.

I have to say that this is exactly what I expected. I'll go on to say that he's going to get shelled a bit here and there early on. That, plus his surly attitude with the media and these kinds of articles, will result in him receiving some boos from Mariner fans.

But a few months later he'll be in contention for a Cy Young Award.

Anyone who thinks Bedard doesn't feel responsibility - or that he doesn't take his job seriously - is deeply misguided.

His refusal to give soundbytes to journalists - in fact, he gives anti-soundbytes - isn't indicative of professionalism.

Anyone who thinks Bedard doesn't feel responsibility - or that he doesn't take his job seriously - is deeply misguided.

Exactly right. The writers aren't gonna like him much, and some of the fans will get annoyed. But I bet he also gets a big fan club too.

Plus, I wonder if some reporter will get it, and laugh along with him, and end up getting some good exclusive interviews before long. If I was a reporter, that's what I'd do.

Exactly right. The writers aren't gonna like him much, and some of the fans will get annoyed. But I bet he also gets a big fan club too.

Plus, I wonder if some reporter will get it, and laugh along with him, and end up getting some good exclusive interviews before long. If I was a reporter, that's what I'd do.

The fans out there will love him just like we did as Orioles fans when he was here. He will overcome any problems with the media or other attitude perception issues by his pitching, pure and simple.

gets Bedard. (Watch the first three minutes.)

Archived