Why didn't O'Day get a QO

Catch 8

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt that we weren't going to win it all. While it would have been nice to make it to the playoffs, we would have been bounced. We never should have traded for Parra. We also should have tried to find value in trading our guys, particularly O'Day, since we weren't going to give him the QO, and Steve Pearce as well. We also should have explored trades for Davis, Chen and Wieters and seen if we could have gotten more than the QO would have been worth. Alas, we did not, so spilt milk.

Funny, I was at that double header v CLE we swept at the end of June. Sure looked like we had a good shot at the playoffs then. I guess I missed all the tell tale signs of inevitable decline that seemed so obvious to the double jointed cognoscenti among us.

Funny, I was at that double header v CLE we swept at the end of June. Sure looked like we had a good shot at the playoffs then. I guess I missed all the tell tale signs of inevitable decline that seemed so obvious to the double jointed cognoscenti among us.

On June 30th the O's were 7 games above .500. Less than two weeks later on July 12 they were .500 (and the stayed within a game or so through the deadline). Even if they statistically had a chance at the last wild card they were nothing more than pretenders.

For a team like the Orioles he's overvalued and not worth, to us, any more than he was paid last year. And relievers shouldnt be signed for more than 2 years at a time. Very streaky, and O'Day doesn't have a 5 year tracj record of success. And if he did have a 5 year track record of success he would be too old and over priced.

I see the arguments against O'Day, but "O'Day doesn't have a five-year track record of success" is a terrible argument. His ERA's since 2009: 1.84, 2.03, 5.40, 2.28, 2.18, 1.70, 1.52. He's been awesome 6 years out of 7, including the last 4 in a row, and his one bad year in that stretch he was injured (he only threw 16.2 innings that year). There are very, very few relief pitchers who have been consistently good like O'Day has been. His career ERA+ is 185.

So, argue that O'Day is getting older. Argue that a team with a $115-120 mm budget simply can't commit $7-8 mm to a set-up reliever. But please don't argue that O'Day doesn't have a 5-year track record of success. Among relievers with at least 250 IP over the last five years, O'Day has the third lowest ERA in MLB in that period. Go back 7 years and make it 350 innings and O'Day has the best ERA in MLB in that span. That's a pretty great track record if you ask me.

On June 30th the O's were 7 games above .500. Less than two weeks later on July 12 they were .500 (and the stayed within a game or so through the deadline). Even if they statistically had a chance at the last wild card they were nothing more than pretenders.

Where were they in 2012?

And you knew this on June 29th? Hell, to listen to you one would think you knew this as soon as they didn't sign Cruz. :rolleyestf:

All points that suggest we should've been sellers rather than buyers.

You're crazy. We finished FOUR games out of the 2nd WC spot. We didn't block any talent. Nobody was saying this after the Urrutia walk off. Who could've predicted that terrible stretch after that? We didn't sell. Didn't have a losing season. We still can have 4 top 30 picks. 7 in the top 75ish. If you don't have faith in this regime's ability to draft, then how can you trust that same regime to get the right players in trade packages if we were sellers?

A lot of posters on here should be hardcore 76'ers fans. They have more assets than wins.

We were fine. We just collapsed. No way to know that even if all the backwards thinking says that we should have. The stats say that down by a run in the ninth you have a statistically poor chance of winning. Shall we just forfeit to save pitchers wear and tear?

I see the arguments against O'Day, but "O'Day doesn't have a five-year track record of success" is a terrible argument. His ERA's since 2009: 1.84, 2.03, 5.40, 2.28, 2.18, 1.70, 1.52. He's been awesome 6 years out of 7, including the last 4 in a row, and his one bad year in that stretch he was injured (he only threw 16.2 innings that year). There are very, very few relief pitchers who have been consistently good like O'Day has been. His career ERA+ is 185.

So, argue that O'Day is getting older. Argue that a team with a $115-120 mm budget simply can't commit $7-8 mm to a set-up reliever. But please don't argue that O'Day doesn't have a 5-year track record of success. Among relievers with at least 250 IP over the last five years, O'Day has the third lowest ERA in MLB in that period. Go back 7 years and make it 350 innings and O'Day has the best ERA in MLB in that span. That's a pretty great track record if you ask me.

O'Day is a great guy, teammate and pitcher. We had a very good four years with him.

Well, they fooled me, too. I didn't think, in late June or in July or ever, that this was a real good team. What I thought was that there were a few underperformers who might turn things around in the second half, that Schoop and Wieters would help in the second half, and -- until the Jays made their movers -- there wasn't anyone in the division who was much, if any, better.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interest in O’Day so extensive, even teams with deep bullpens have expressed interest, sources say. Among them: The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash">#Royals</a>.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">November 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived