Fangraphs: Looking At 10 Years Of Growing MLB Payrolls

Can_of_corn

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/looking-at-10-years-of-growing-mlb-payrolls/

Not sold on this information on a team by team basis, since payrolls tend to fluctuate greatly for most teams.

The composite information is interesting, an overall increase of 57.2%. Baltimore actually came in over that number with a 63.7% increase.

Some nice graphs on winning percentages and attendance as well.

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/looking-at-10-years-of-growing-mlb-payrolls/

Not sold on this information on a team by team basis, since payrolls tend to fluctuate greatly for most teams.

The composite information is interesting, an overall increase of 57.2%. Baltimore actually came in over that number with a 63.7% increase.

Some nice graphs on winning percentages and attendance as well.

I'm sold on it. Appears quite solid.

So the average team had a salary of $77.6 mil in 2006, and $121.9 mil in 2015 for a pay raise of 57.2%. Am I the only one that thinks that looks steep compared to standard inflation and economic growth the past decade? Where is all this money coming from? (yes I know, TV deals, new stadiums/luxury seating, but where is all that money coming from?)

So the average team had a salary of $77.6 mil in 2006, and $121.9 mil in 2015 for a pay raise of 57.2%. Am I the only one that thinks that looks steep compared to standard inflation and economic growth the past decade? Where is all this money coming from? (yes I know, TV deals, new stadiums/luxury seating, but where is all that money coming from?)

TV deals. That has to be the overwhelming majority. Sports is one of the few things that isn't greatly impacted by time-shifting and the proliferation of types of entertainment. In some ways sports are all that's standing between cable companies and the abyss.

I'm sure the information is accurate. I am just not sold that you can look at any team and get a quality picture of the whole.

I also think the last chart is backwards. Payroll doesn't drive fan interest, winning does. It's just that payroll often drives wins so there appears to be correlation. If you spent $200M on new players and were 22-57 in June attendance would tank, if you spent $0.25 on new players and were 57-22 there would be a long waiting list for tickets.

Archived