Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

O'Day was phenomenal this series. What did you decide your take it or leave it offer of money and years would be?
3 years. I'm flexible as to the money, whatever the fair market is for quality relievers. Angelos/DD has the money to resign him if DD gets over his thing that he doesn't want to spend money on relievers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fans didn't like Jim Johnson at the end. Because they could see that his sinker wasn't sinking very well.

The original question was: would fans go to baseball games to see a particular reliever? I cited O'Day's song as evidence that fans (at least this fan) went to games to see O'Day if/when he was needed.

He had just saved 52 GAMES. And 50 the year before.

How would you know he was going to pitch at the time you bought your ticket?
I don't believe that anyone has clairvoyant powers to be able to predict if the O's will be in a situation where O'Day will be needed. I buy my tickets on the probability that, if the O's need to hold a lead with a quality, dependable reliever, then O'Day will be called upon to pitch, and will do his job.

So, 3/ 36 is your top offer?
I don't know about the 36M. I'd be open to offer more if it would bring him back to the O's. As for the 3 years, that seems to be the asking length for a reliever of O'Day's record and demonstrated quality. Salaries can always be deferred if necessary.

I don't believe that anyone has clairvoyant powers to be able to predict if the O's will be in a situation where O'Day will be needed. I buy my tickets on the probability that, if the O's need to hold a lead with a quality, dependable reliever, then O'Day will be called upon to pitch, and will do his job.

How do you know I don't? :leaving:

I don't know about the 36M. I'd be open to offer more if it would bring him back to the O's. As for the 3 years, that seems to be the asking length for a reliever of O'Day's record and demonstrated quality. Salaries can always be deferred if necessary.

So. 43 million for 36 mths or 50 for 48. Right . That would be your top bid or walk?

As I recall, JJ lead the league in blown saves his final year with the club. Which was one of the signs that his sinker wasn't sinking very well any longer.

He had way more save opportunities than anyone else, so he led the league in both saves and blown saves. His save rate (84.7%) that year was below average for a closer, but not terrible.

I wouldn't say his sinker wasn't sinking, but he did have a couple of stretches where he had trouble keeping the ball down.

He had way more save opportunities than anyone else, so he led the league in both saves and blown saves. His save rate (84.7%) that year was below average for a closer, but not terrible.

I wouldn't say his sinker wasn't sinking, but he did have a couple of stretches where he had trouble keeping the ball down.

Which means that the sinker may have been sinking, but not as well as before; he was leaving the ball up. Signs of trouble in the future, which have been mostly seen by his record this year, with more than 1 team.

• 1 month later...

From the OH front page:

Darren O'Day's agent acknowledged Sunday that he's had ongoing discussions with the Orioles front office.

O'Day is scheduled to become a free agent five days after the conclusion of the 2015 World Series and he's sure to be swarmed with offers after posting a stellar 1.52 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, and 82/14 K/BB ratio across 65 1/3 innings this season out of the Baltimore bullpen. The 33-year-old right-hander is probably going to be looking for closer money, and that may be too rich for the O's. "We?ve had ongoing discussions with Baltimore throughout the season and I plan on continuing to have ongoing discussions with Baltimore," said Jeff Borris, who represents O?Day. "However, time is of the essence because free agency is right around the corner."

Source: Baltimore Sun Oct. 26 - 9:34 am et

Archived