Tillman to start tonight in Bowie. 7:05

Gurgi

If my wife gets home early enough I will try to get out there. I kinda want to see what all the hype is about.

It should be a low scoring game because Tillman will be going against their No. 1 pitching prospect in Carrasco. What is troublesome to me is if they don't start hitting or scoring runs soon then it doesn't matter how many pitching prospect we have.

It should be a low scoring game because Tillman will be going against their No. 1 pitching prospect in Carrasco. What is troublesome to me is if they don't start hitting or scoring runs soon then it doesn't matter how many pitching prospect we have.

I agree with you there....same thing in Frederick last year...if you don't have the bats behind you then it really doesn't matter who is pitching

I agree with you there....same thing in Frederick last year...if you don't have the bats behind you then it really doesn't matter who is pitching

I understand the sentiments from a Baysox perspective...but from the perspective of future prospects for the Orioles pitching staff it certainly does matter. No offense to those that root primarily for their local minor league team, but in a given minor league game most of us here are probably more interested in how the prospects do than we are in wins and losses.

For example, if Tillman pitches lights out in this particular game, but the Baysox lose 2-1, his prospect status will hardly be tainted by the result, and most of us on this board will be elated.

Of course, it would be nice to have more position player prospects in AA and AAA, but that's another issue I think.

You mean the same Frederick team that won the Carolina League championship last year? Give them a chance, OK? i.e. Luis Hernandez

Having covered the Keys for most of last season, yes Baseballmom was right with what she said. The same team that lost 9 straight, 11 of 13 after looking like a double-A team for the three weeks before that skid. Truthfully, the team came alive the last two months of the season with the combination of great starting pitching and hitting. Finan came alive in July, Fleisher tore up the last two months of the year, Kennard Jones went on a little tear, Tucker helped the top of the order. Add Brent Krause and Chris Amador into the mix, and that lineup suddenly fused together and started scoring runs.

The bullpen, overused and worn down for half the season finally got rest from late July through August and shut the doors after great starts from the rotation.

So, with the exception of the last two months of the season, the bats weren't there early on in the season. Bowie resembles last year's Keys team for the most part, so I'm not surprised to see a lack of offense early on. And Norfolk... that's a completely different story.

Something tells me the O's will be fielding quite a few calls from teams asking about Arrieta, Tillman, Spoone, Erbe, etc.

Your probally right but why would we want to do anything with them other than see what they can do? I for one do NOT support the idea of getting a SS with some of our pitching prospects. I support keeping them all. Seeing if several pan out and fill out our major league rosters and seeing if Weiters, Snyder, Reimold and Rowell become studs.

I understand the sentiments from a Baysox perspective...but from the perspective of future prospects for the Orioles pitching staff it certainly does matter. No offense to those that root primarily for their local minor league team, but in a given minor league game most of us here are probably more interested in how the prospects do than we are in wins and losses.

For example, if Tillman pitches lights out in this particular game, but the Baysox lose 2-1, his prospect status will hardly be tainted by the result, and most of us on this board will be elated.

Of course, it would be nice to have more position player prospects in AA and AAA, but that's another issue I think.

I know one thing for sure is that we are making our pitching prospects mentally tough, because it's a lot to ask for them to go out there day in and day out knowing that if they give up 2 or 3 runs it might not be good enough and thats hard on pitcher. Who knows, maybe thats a good thing.:confused: But I'm hoping the hitters wake up, because if a pitcher makes a mistake it's not the end of his day.

There were surely some positives about Tillman's outing tonight. He mainly used his fastball in his two innings on the hill but when he sprinkled in that big curve of his, he managed to get some K's. Bottom line is he threw too many pitches. Around 60 if I remember correctly.

It's his first start of the year and that's the way you have to look at it. There were definitely some positives for Tillman to build upon his next time out.

More to come in the recaps tonight.

Archived