Is the bullpen set?

Orange

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course not. These are the types you pick up on waivers, just like the O's picked up Roe and where it's likely Roe will be again sometime in the next 2 months.

Oh I am well aware of that. Just not sure that poster is.

I wouldn't be sad if we part with Roe. Like Coc said, we need optional guys. We saw how rough it was last year.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, this would be a good time to trade Brach. Givens can take over his role. Not sure what he might bring back. Brach is good but is flawed in that his command/control is not great. Short relievers are volatile and I think Brach isnt' ever going to be better than he was last year. We have a ton of RH reliever options here (Roe) and coming up (Drake/Wright/Triggs/etc.). Maybe Brach has little value but I definitely would be looking to move him as soon as we resigned O'Day.

Last year the O's rather out of pitchers in August. I am not for trading any unless the return in an improvement. I hope they add a starter.

They didn't run out of pitchers. That's an absurd thing to say. Especially when talking about the bullpen.

Well, it applies more to the starters but he affected the pen.

2015 August ERA

Gonzalez 6.82

Tillman 5.73

Jimenez 6.35

Norris release August 8th

Wilson and Wright on the DL

Davies traded.

Buck and/or Dan refused to bring up Chris Jones and kept pitching an injured Gonzalez. All this made the pen pitch more innings.

That is what I call running out of pitchers.

Well, it applies more to the starters but he affected the pen.

2015 August ERA

Gonzalez 6.82

Tillman 5.73

Jimenez 6.35

Norris release August 8th

Wilson and Wright on the DL

Davies traded.

Buck and/or Dan refused to bring up Chris Jones and kept pitching an injured Gonzalez. All this made the pen pitch more innings.

That is what I call running out of pitchers.

So you wouldn't trade a bullpen arm because we "ran out of starting pitchers?" That is completely illogical. Especially considering the idea is to trade an out of options guy to help create flexibility to prevent the bullpen from getting worn down.

They didn't run out of pitchers. That's an absurd thing to say. Especially when talking about the bullpen.

Two of the pitchers that we had some use for got injured and could not help down the stretch. We had plenty of people we could have started that were similar in talent and quality. We did have a tight 40 man roster though.

• 2 months later...

o

8 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT O(vs. YANKEES, 3/11) O[spring Training]

IP:. 2.67

H:;; 5 ll(1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 66 (40 Strikes, 26 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (15 Strikes, 51 Balls)

26 (17 Strikes, 91 Balls)

20 (81 Strikes, 12 Balls) *

* Wright recorded 2 outs before departing in the 3rd inning.

8 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT O(vs. YANKEES, 3/11) O[spring Training]

IP:. 2.67

H:;; 5 ll(1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB: 2

SO: 6

Pitches: 66 (40 Strikes, 26 Balls)

PITCHES BY INNING

20 (15 Strikes, 51 Balls)

26 (17 Strikes, 91 Balls)

20 (81 Strikes, 12 Balls) *

* Wright recorded 2 outs before departing in the 3rd inning.

In the 1st inning, Wright got 2 outs on 3 pitches.

Then (as far as I'm concerned), he struck out Alex Rodriguez.

Given an extra chance, Rodriguez hit a hard single, Texiera hit a hard double, and McCann blooped a single for 2 RBI's.

Instead of a 10-pitch, 3 up, 3 down inning, it wound up being a 20-pitch, 3-hit, 2-run inning.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that pitchers will occasionally have to get 4 outs in an inning, sometimes because their defense makes an error, and sometimes because the umpire makes a bad call.

Wright failed to do that. Bad game overall, although I do like the fact that he got 6 strikeouts in only 2.67 innings, and his strikes-to-balls ratio was excellent before he walked the final 2 batters that he faced.

Archived