Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How excited should we be about this start? Or is it "just the Twins"?

At some point, you look at the body of work and you just have to admit that he is a good pitcher. I am going to believe he is a good pitcher until I see some evidence to the contrary.

At some point, you look at the body of work and you just have to admit that he is a good pitcher. I am going to believe he is a good pitcher until I see some evidence to the contrary.

If his WHIP were higher, I would be more skeptical. But it's not... so I'm optimistic.

“We had 15 outfield putouts today,” Showalter said. “John (Russell) and I were putting the lineup together today and I wanted to get Nolan (Reimold) in there, but I also felt like with Tyler he’s going to pitch to contact a lot. The thing about Tyler, he knows who he is and he knows who he isn’t and he’s not going to get out of that. That’s why catchers like catching him and people like playing defense behind him. He attacks and he never has a non-competitive moment on the mound.

“He gives up the home run and he gets right back on there and gets people out. We score a few runs, he goes back out there and goes three up, three down. It’s easy to like that type of stuff.”

Wilson could write a book on pitching to contact. He filled up a few chapters today.

“No doubt,” he said. “Hands down, maybe twice as many outfield putouts as I’ve ever had in my career. I just wanted to go out there and challenge contact.

“Given the situation, I didn’t have my best command in general today and I really wanted to make sure I didn’t fall behind guys. When you don’t have your best command, it’s important to get contact early in counts, and on top of that, I didn’t want to go deep to guys when it’s raining on us out there. I wanted to give our team a chance to make plays behind me, which they did all day, like they always do, and get back in the dugout out of the rain.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/05/wrapping-up-a-9-2-win.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Archived