Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

The K rate is definitely a concern, but it's worth mentioning that he entered the day with a 104 ERA+ (including his relief outings). You could do worse as a No. 5 starter if you had four solid starters in front of him. Unfortunately, the O's don't.

Tyler Wilson is a below average major league starter. He may give you a decent start from time to time but so does Ubaldo.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen his stuff about average overall with above average command and pitchability. If he has that sort of makeup, he can succeed. However, today was worrisome. His cutter was ok. His fastball was ok. His offspeed stuff was poor. He can't survive with that sort of offspeed stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just don't see it. He doesn't have much swing-and-miss material and I don't think a pitcher with those K rates can survive in Camden Yards or the AL East. Even his best start of the year, against the Red Sox, had a lot of hard contact. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimenez ends up lasting longer in the rotation than Wilson does.

I just don't see it. He doesn't have much swing-and-miss material and I don't think a pitcher with those K rates can survive in Camden Yards or the AL East. Even his best start of the year, against the Red Sox, had a lot of hard contact. I wouldn't be surprised if Jimenez ends up lasting longer in the rotation than Wilson does.

Agree here. I have rarely seen him with an above average change. He doesn't miss bats. Pitchability and command are rarely enough with below average stuff.

Me either. Jimenez's stuff last year was much better than Wilson's best stuff at any point. Of course, Jimenez's stuff this year has been pretty awful most of the time. You seem to be disagreeing with my post, but I think we are on the same page.

His offspeed stuff was terrible today. I am not a slave to the whole "missing" bats thing for someone to be competent, but he certainly can't pitch like I saw him pitch today or like he pitched against the Yankees on June 4th. I still can't believe how bad his changeup was today.

I still feel that Jimenez has enough deception in his windup and enough movement on his pitches that he can be successful (relatively speaking). Do I have any confidence that he will be? No. But to me he has more upside, as depressing as that is.

I agree we aren't really disagreeing. I have just felt all season that Wilson was hanging on by a thread. He looks like a competitor to me but I just don't think the stuff is good enough. Even on his best days he will be vulnerable. And when he's not on his game, I think you will get a lot of starts like today's. I hope somehow I'm wrong. But assuming Worley goes back into the long relief role when he's healthy (definitely a role we need with this rotation), I'd be interested in trying Despaigne for a start or two.

This year? Yes I do.

Gallardo is barely hitting 90.

Ubaldo is having his worst season of his career and it's not even close.

We roast Wilson because he has a bad start, yet his body of work up to this point has been infinitely better than Ubaldo already and much than better Gallardo.

Ubaldo and Gallardo are shades of their former selves.

o

In terms of who is more effective at the Major League level, I believe that very little is clear about the difference between these 2 pitchers right now.

Both are awful, but for very different reasons. It'll be interesting to see if either can fix their issues.

o

In terms of who is more effective at the Major League level, I believe that very little is clear about the difference between these 2 pitchers right now.

If we could put Wilson head onWrights arm we could have a decent pitcher.

o

9 OUTS: 3 Groundouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts

PHILIP TYLER WILSON O (vs. MARINERS, 7/02)

IP:l 3 - PLUS

H:;; 9 ll(3 Home Runs, 1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:l) 8

BB: 2

SO: 2

Pitches: 71 (43 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2016 ERA: 5.22

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (13 Strikes, 5 Balls)

19 (13 Strikes, 6 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 9 Balls)

15 (71 Strikes, 8 Balls) *

* Wilson did not record any outs before departing in the 4th inning.

Tyler Wilson is not a major league SP. He might have a start or two that keeps you thinking he's more. But in the end, he's going to throw batting practice more times than not. A playoff team doesn't have guy's like him taking the mound every 5th day. Especially with other question marks in the rotation.

Tyler Wilson may not be MLB quality as a starter now. But he's very young. Give him a few years and he may very well develop into a decent starter. Most rookie pitchers do not win Rookie-of-the-Year awards. Don't write him off, not yet. Else he might wind up with another team and turn into the next Jake Arrieta.

One of our needs right now is a MLB quality starter, or two. But we may not be able to get one right now.We may have to go with who we have right now.

Wilson is a perfect #5. He'll have the occassional clunker but he'll usually keep you in the game.
Probably true right now. But wait a year or two; with hard work, he may develop into a decent #3 or 4 or who knows? For a rookie, he is doing fairly well.

Archived