Tyler Wilson Hopes To Be Part Of Orioles' 2016 Plans

PressBoxOnline

Wilson definitely had a fortunate outing, with some excellent defensive plays and some "at em" balls, but he also scattered the hard hit balls and pitched well when the pressure mounted, like getting Pedroia to pop out with two on in the 3rd. And it seemed he got better as the game went ... no strikeouts in his first 4 innings, 6 strikeouts in the next 4. Well done.

Even better, his post-game comments complimented the Boston offense he had just shut down. Are you listening, Mike Wright? (Probably not)

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fellow Cavalier, I am rooting for Tyler!!! I can say that I saw him dominate hitters when he was at UVA and that he is maybe one of the most intelligent young men you will find. I can see him continuing to figure out lineups and hitters as he matures in the bigs and if his command stays anywhere near where it was last night, he could be Mike Boddicker part deux.

Wilson definitely had a fortunate outing, with some excellent defensive plays and some "at em" balls, but he also scattered the hard hit balls and pitched well when the pressure mounted, like getting Pedroia to pop out with two on in the 3rd. And it seemed he got better as the game went ... no strikeouts in his first 4 innings, 6 strikeouts in the next 4. Well done.

Even better, his post-game comments complimented the Boston offense he had just shut down. Are you listening, Mike Wright? (Probably not)

Pedroia was the key moment. They were threatening there with Bogaerts and Papi coming up. A base hit could have been disastrous. He got Pedroia to swing and miss for strike two on a nasty curveball. Pedroia worked it to 3-2, a situation we have seen many of our guys wilt and give in with a fastball or a hanging slider. Wilson doubled up with two curveballs, the second one inducing a weak popup to end the inning.

I don't know if any of our pitchers have the guts to throw two breaking balls there AND the command to do it successfully.

24 OUTS: 7 Groundouts, 6 Strikeouts, 6 Lineouts, 4 Flyouts, 1 Foulout

PHILIP TYLER WILSON O (vs. RED SOX, 6/16)

IP:l 8

H:;; 3 ll(1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB: 1

SO: 6

Pitches: 100 (65 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.16

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (10 Strikes, 41 Balls)

91 (71 Strikes, 21 Balls)

23 (10 Strikes, 13 Balls)

71 (41 Strikes, 31 Balls)

12 (81 Strikes, 41 Balls)

10 (81 Strikes, 21 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 41 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 31 Balls)

Tyler Wilson is the first Orioles starting pitcher to throw at least 8 scoreless innings at Fenway Park since Mike Boddicker did it on June 30th, 1985.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS198506300.shtml

SOURCE: Roch Kubatko

o

12 base-runners in only 6 innings pitched.

18 OUTS: 6 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 3 Flyouts, 3 Lineouts, 1 Popout

PHILIP TYLER WILSON O (vs. PADRES, 6/21)

IP:l 6

H:;; 9 ll(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 6 Singles)

R:l) 3

BB: 1 *

SO: 3

Pitches: 93 (58 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.19

* Wilson had also 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

24 (12 Strikes, 12 Balls)

41 (31 Strikes, 11 Balls)

13 (91 Strikes, 41 Balls)

22 (14 Strikes, 81 Balls)

23 (14 Strikes, 91 Balls)

71 (61 Strikes, 11 Balls)

Wilson just is not a major league quality starting pitcher. He can impersonate one for periods at a time, but his K rate is totally unsustainable. If he spends the rest of the year in the rotation, we're in trouble.

Wilson just is not a major league quality starting pitcher. He can impersonate one for periods at a time, but his K rate is totally unsustainable. If he spends the rest of the year in the rotation, we're in trouble.

I don't care about his K rate. I do care when he's throwing pitches right down the middle of the plate like he is today. He can't get away with that.

o

12 base-runners in only 5 innings pitched.

15 OUTS: 5 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Foulout

PHILIP TYLER WILSON O (vs. D-RAYS, 6/26)

IP:l 5

H:;; 10 ll(2 Home Runs, 3 Doubles, 5 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB: 2

SO: 1

Pitches: 80 (52 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.50

PITCHES BY INNING

11 (51 Strikes, 61 Balls)

14 (11 Strikes, 31 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 41 Balls)

15 (12 Strikes, 31 Balls)

26 (14 Strikes, 12 Balls)

The K rate is definitely a concern, but it's worth mentioning that he entered the day with a 104 ERA+ (including his relief outings). You could do worse as a No. 5 starter if you had four solid starters in front of him. Unfortunately, the O's don't.

Archived