Wieters watch

Frobby

1-1, single, RBI, run scored so far tonight

Seriously, when are they gonna move this kid to Bowie? I mean do we wait until mid-May just so he doesn't get too ahead of himself.

What's the point of him sitting down there crushing everything he sees in Frederick?

If he hadn't been in college baseball--that is, if he had been drafted out of high school--where would he be level-wise in the minors? AA? AAA? MLB?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are they going to move him to Bowie? Probably in a month or so. I'm sure if he's still raking at a good clip he'll get moved. He's 3-for-12 in the last three games, so he is showing signs of being a human being instead of a genetic jackhammer. The point of him sitting there in Frederick is learning to play professional baseball with a star-studded bunch of guys alongside him. In addition, his solid play behind the plate is only helped with the fact his manager was a catching instructor for the White Sox for a number of years. He's given Matt some knowledge and a few tips on how to become a better catcher.

I seriously doubt he'd be doing this well if he had started in Bowie. He deserves to be here for at least the first six weeks to two months of the season. After that, send him to Bowie if necessary. But as far as I'm concerned, I leave him with a manager who has extensive knowledge of catching before we all go crown him Lord Baltimore by September.

If he had been drafted out of high school, he probably would've been in Delmarva, maybe Frederick. But not higher.

Sorry for the mini-rant, I'm just not high on rushing our star prospects up to a rebuilding big league club. Even the ones we've paid $6M for.

From MLB.com: MacPhail determined not to rush club's top prospect to the Majors.

Here's a quote from the article:

"Let's let him play a while, [but] you can't help but be impressed by the early returns," said MacPhail. "If it's clear that he's not being challenged where he is, we have no problem moving him."

I was at the game in Winston-Salem last night. Great first at bat, but after that, he did not look good at all. 3 weak swings and then a strike out. That's going to happen on some nights. It just shows he still needs his work. No need to rush him.

Having said that, I don't expect him to be with Frederick the next time they come to Winston-Salem in June.

I was at the game in Winston-Salem last night. Great first at bat, but after that, he did not look good at all. 3 weak swings and then a strike out. That's going to happen on some nights. It just shows he still needs his work. No need to rush him.

Having said that, I don't expect him to be with Frederick the next time they come to Winston-Salem in June.

Has anyone seen Adam Jones play? Some nights 3 for 4, others 0 for 4 with 4 k's. He is going to bat between .250 and .260. Does anyone think Wieters would do worse than that? Wieters is the starting catcher in 2009, I am starting to believe that.

He's now 2 for 3 with a k.

In other news, Arrieta has thrown 6 giving up 2 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB and striking out 7.

I really like to see that! We needed that from him. I think he can get on the fast track to the majors with his stuff. I am hoping to see him next year sometime.

Archived