Has Chris Carter set Pedro Alvarez's market price?

wildcard

The Brewers just signed Carter to a one year contract for 2.5m plus 500k in performance incentives. This is a decrease in salary from the 4.1m Carter received in 2015. Carter and Alvarez have often been mentioned in the same breath this off season. Does this set Alvarez's market price?

Alvarez made 5.7m in 2015. Is he likely to be available for 3.5-4m? Should the O's be interested at that price in Alvarez as their lefthanded platoon DH?

This might make Trumbo available for trade if the O' want to sign Davis. Adding Alvarez and trading Trumbo could reduce the O's overall payroll and make more money available to add a starter. Trumbo may be packaged with some of the O's minor league reliever talent.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I was surprised how low he signed for. Neftali Perez just got $3.9M but Carter cant even sniff $3M. The price of hitting is truly suppressed at the moment.

Well, at least the price of swinging and missing. :laughlol: Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

This might make Trumbo available for trade if the O' want to sign Davis. Adding Alvarez and trading Trumbo could reduce the O's overall payroll and make more money available to add a starter. Trumbo may be packaged with some of the O's minor league reliever talent.

Trumbo + minor league reliever talent = Clevenger.

It should set the market for Alvarez. If we sign Davis it just shows how much money we'd be waisting on Trumbo as a DH. There is no cohesive plan in place. Carter would have been a nice low cost DH if Davis was at 1B. We overpaid for Trumbo who is essentially the same player, offensively, as Carter and Alvarez. So much misspent money this off season.

Keep in mind, it seemed like Alvarez was the Brewers first choice. They probably got the cheaper of the two. Technically, Alvarez should come as cheap or cheaper as a DH. Carter will be playing 1B. Bora's is the fly in the ointment.

Trumbo (7.9 rWAR in 690 games) > Alvarez (5.2 rWAR in 742 games) > Carter (2.1 rWAR in 528 games). The fact that Trumbo has spent his career playing in pitcher-friendly parks weighs heavily with me. I think he'll hit 30+ bombs for us. That said, he fits better with Upton or Cespedes than he does with Davis.

As to Alvarez, I think it will take about $6 mm to sign him.

We're not getting Alvarez before Davis signs. Boras isn't going to allow that.

This seems to be conventional wisdom around here, but I am not so sure that Boras operates that way. If the O's make an offer to Alvarez, Boras is duty-bound to report that to his client. He can try to steer Alvarez away from taking the offer, or delaying, but he can't prevent Alvarez from doing what he wants.

This seems to be conventional wisdom around here, but I am not so sure that Boras operates that way. If the O's make an offer to Alvarez, Boras is duty-bound to report that to his client. He can try to steer Alvarez away from taking the offer, or delaying, but he can't prevent Alvarez from doing what he wants.

You have to be right about that. No "secondary" clients would sign with Boras if he told them big guys first then you.

From Boras' standpoint he really needs the Orioles as either a landing spot or leverage regarding Davis. I won't just assume that he is keeping Alvarez away from the O's for reasons of Davis because I have no real reason to question his ethics but in all honesty, he'd be a bad business man if he did any work to make a O's and Alvarez contract happen. Alvarez can sign wherever he wants if a contract is offered but that doesn't mean Boras isn't telling him some BS about waiting for Davis to sign to max out his own market, whether it's true or not I do not know. I personally hope they go for Alvarez assuming they spend money elsewhere.

I am sure he will do the bare minimum to fulfill his legal and professional obligations, but there is a reason that people have to recuse themselves in every other walk of life when they have a conflict of interest, and there certainly is a conflict here.

Arizona is not a pitcher friendly park. Chris Carter - career OPS+ 110. Mark Trumbo OPS + 110 - Pedro Alvarez OPS + 107 - John Jaso OPS + 116

Carter signed for 2.5M with an option

Jason signed for 2/8M

Trumbo figures to make at least 8M in arbitration if not more.

If Trumbo DH's, he's a bad value. It shouldn't take 6M to sign Alvarez but I don't doubt that the Orioles will pay that much.

Trumbo played 134 games for the D-Backs, out of 690. I think it's fair-game shorthand for me to say he spent his career in pitcher-friendly parks when he played 460 games for the Angels and 96 for Seattle. I will grant you the OPS+ point, but the rWAR figures I gave show that Trumbo has more value.

You bring up Jaso, and he is a player I would have liked us to pursue. That said, he is strictly a LH platoon player. About 88% of his AB have come vs. RHP, and he has a career .542 OPS vs. LHP. That's the reason he's never exceeded 404 PA in a season, and it limits what a team will pay him.

I am sure he will do the bare minimum to fulfill his legal and professional obligations, but there is a reason that people have to recuse themselves in every other walk of life when they have a conflict of interest, and there certainly is a conflict here.

So an agent can never represent two free agents who play the same position at the same time, right? Sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. If Alvarez doesn't feel his interests are being served, he can change agents.

Trumbo (7.9 rWAR in 690 games) > Alvarez (5.2 rWAR in 742 games) > Carter (2.1 rWAR in 528 games). The fact that Trumbo has spent his career playing in pitcher-friendly parks weighs heavily with me. I think he'll hit 30+ bombs for us. That said, he fits better with Upton or Cespedes than he does with Davis.

As to Alvarez, I think it will take about $6 mm to sign him.

Couldn't put it better myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. Trumbo is unreadable. No one needs a 1B and he's grossly overpaid as a DH. Dumb move by O's because its only good if Davis doesn't resign. But the intention is/was to resign Davis so just another disjointed move by O's.

Trumbo might fit in Houston for a year until Reed is ready.

From Astros.com

4. Will A.J. Reed make an impact in 2016?

Expect the slugging first baseman to reach the Astros at some point in 2016, but when remains up in the air. Reed led all of Minor League Baseball in home runs (34), RBIs (127) and OPS (1.044) while hitting a combined .340 between Class A Advanced Lancaster and Double-A Corpus Christi. He doesn't have an at-bat yet in Triple-A, so don't be surprised to see him start in Fresno and reach Houston at some point, especially if the Jon Singleton-Matt Duffy-Tyler White triumvirate isn't working out.

http://m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/160109692/astros-could-take-next-step-in-2016-season

Archived