Angelos: 6th worst owner in baseball?

Frobby

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The voters on fangraphs ranked Orioles' ownership 6th worst, behind the Marlins, Mets, Rockies, Reds and Blue Jays (starting with the worst and working down). http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/team-ownership-ratings-by-the-community/
I'd have to put PIT on that list. They are close to a championship team, and they won't spring for Chris Davis. We aren't nearly as good and even PA will pay for him.

Since this is a national poll, I suspect that reputation comes into play here, and the last 3 or so years notwithstanding, most non-Orioles fans choose to remember the crap years before that. It will take some more time to change that perception.

The voters on fangraphs ranked Orioles' ownership 6th worst, behind the Marlins, Mets, Rockies, Reds and Blue Jays (starting with the worst and working down). http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/team-ownership-ratings-by-the-community/

In fairness to Dipper's hero, he's tied for 6th with SD, but the rankings are bunched so close together it's Loria and the Wilpons

,and then half the league.

ownership-ratings.png

Being this is a national poll, I have to believe PGA not letting DD go to Toronto makes him look even more so of a "horrible" owner to fans outside of Baltimore. When you factor this is still fresh in people's minds from last offseason plus PGA's previous reputation, not a surprise to see him at 6th.

Since this is a national poll, I suspect that reputation comes into play here, and the last 3 or so years notwithstanding, most non-Orioles fans choose to remember the crap years before that. It will take some more time to change that perception.
Being this is a national poll' date=' I have to believe PGA not letting DD go to Toronto makes him look even more so of a "horrible" owner to fans outside of Baltimore. When you factor this is still fresh in people's minds from last offseason plus PGA's previous reputation, not a surprise to see him at 6th.[/quote']

Voters were only supposed to rate the owner of the team they support.

I think the question that really matters is whether or not the owner of your franchise is a good one or a bad one.

Where it comes to Peter, I think its a pretty tough sell to say he has been anything other than a pretty awful owner. We can debate the reasons why but the results speak for themselves in my opinion.

Now Peter has created an opportunity with the performance of the team over the past 4 years to recreate and soften that image of him as an owner. A lot of how that plays out will depend greatly on how the next several years go.

If we continue to have some success, then I think the 17 years of losing will become a more distant memory. If we crash and burn, then I believe that legacy of losing will be reinforced again within the fanbase.

I agree with this generally; at the same time, PA won some favor (or maybe didn't) when he was the only owner in MLB to refuse to hire scab players in 1995. At worst I'd find it tough to believe that that hurt his rep at the time...

Well, at least he's not the worse in the AL East! :D

Better than the defending National League champions.

Better than the defending A.L. East champions.

So he's better than the guy who sabotaged the Expos in Montreal and the family involved with Bernie Madoff. I mean, okay.

Yes. He's better than them

Archived