Wei-Yin Chen to the Marlins (5 yrs - $80M)

Bahama O's Fan

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Marlins?src=hash">#Marlins</a> remain in active negotiations with free-agent LHP Wei-Yin Chen.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">January 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why any free agent pitcher with reasonable options to sign elsewhere would decide to sign long-term with Loria is beyond me. If he signs with the Marlins, he is an idiot.

Loria makes Angelos look like a saint, crazy egomaniac that is horrible for the sport and Miami.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why any free agent pitcher with reasonable options to sign elsewhere would decide to sign long-term with Loria is beyond me. If he signs with the Marlins, he is an idiot.

Loria makes Angelos look like a saint, crazy egomaniac that is horrible for the sport and Miami.

1. No state income tax.

2. Warm weather year-round.

3. Miami is an interesting place to live.

From a baseball standpoint, I'd agree with you. From 2003-09, they managed a winning record 5 years out of 7, and seemed able to compete despite their tight budgets. Since then, they've had 7 straight losing seasons and have never finished closer than 17 games out of first place. The good news is, if Chen signs a big contract, he'll probably be traded away the next time Loria decides to purge.

1. No state income tax.

2. Warm weather year-round.

3. Miami is an interesting place to live.

From a baseball standpoint, I'd agree with you. From 2003-09, they managed a winning record 5 years out of 7, and seemed able to compete despite their tight budgets. Since then, they've had 7 straight losing seasons and have never finished closer than 17 games out of first place. The good news is, if Chen signs a big contract, he'll probably be traded away the next time Loria decides to purge.

If those 3 things are so important, why would anyone play in Toronto??

1) I assume, Canadian + US taxes??

2) Never warm

3) Not really that interesting..Eh...despite former mayor.

If those 3 things are so important, why would anyone play in Toronto??

1) I assume, Canadian + US taxes??

2) Never warm

3) Not really that interesting..Eh...despite former mayor.

I would imagine the contract and payment to players would be in US dollars. The Skydome or whatever they call it these days is indoors and seems to be a pretty good venue considering it is a dome. And they don't really play baseball there in the winter except deep and in the playoffs. I would rather be in Toronto in August playing than in the Florida heat and humidity.

Just my two cents

Never been to Toronto but anyone who has been there, has pretty good reviews.

Toronto and Vancouver: both great. Only thing you need to see in Canada.

As a reminder for Chen: both Marlins and Nats wouldn't lose a pick (well Nats gave up one for Murphy).

My guess is Nats aren't done. If you give up a draft pick just for Murphy, that's how you lose your job. Two free agents? Makes sense.

Toronto and Vancouver: both great. Only thing you need to see in Canada.

As a reminder for Chen: both Marlins and Nats wouldn't lose a pick (well Nats gave up one for Murphy).

My guess is Nats aren't done. If you give up a draft pick just for Murphy, that's how you lose your job. Two free agents? Makes sense.

Montreal is pretty great too. Of course, I'm also a big fan of Canada in general.

I would imagine the contract and payment to players would be in US dollars. The Skydome or whatever they call it these days is indoors and seems to be a pretty good venue considering it is a dome. And they don't really play baseball there in the winter except deep and in the playoffs. I would rather be in Toronto in August playing than in the Florida heat and humidity.

Just my two cents

Miami also has a retractable roof, and keeps it closed when temperatures are high for an average game time temp of 75 degrees.

I personally don't think Davis sells many tickets. Team loyalty sells tickets. Loyalty to the opposing teams sells tickets. Winning sells tickets. Maybe superstars sell tickets. But Davis sells no more tickets than JJ Hardy. He's just fun to watch when he's on a hot streak.

I don't buy tickets to Rockies games as a fan so much as I buy tickets to see other players who come to town... And many of the Rockies fans buy tickets to watch their favorite players... Players definitely sell tickets, both at home and on the road...

Add-on: direct quote from a co-worker, "I have season tickets because both of my sons love Carlos Gonzalez. They don't care if the Rockies win or lose, they only care if Cargo has a good game. If Cargo ever left, I'd give up those tickets in a heartbeat." In a world where music is sold by the single and not the album, it makes perfect sense to me that many fans are sold on the player, not the team... It happens.

There are fans like that. Just not a significant number enough to make a difference. If the Orioles let Davis go, signed Cespedes/Upton and won 81-88 games, attendance would stay the same or rise.

You are probably right - I do believe that winning sells the MOST tickets! :)

Archived