Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Home/Road, I really don't think it means much. It's another game, pitch or die.

He is just excruciating to watch. Almost as bad as watching Ubaldo or Wright lately. 97 mph and no movement mixed with a hanging breaking ball or change won't get it done.

He really needed to develop that breaking ball' date=' and it just hasn't come around.[/quote']

They said tonight that this season his pitch count per inning has increased by one from last season which isn't very encouraging. He seems to not really benefit by more experience.

Disappointing outing. He finally gets a lead and gives it up quickly. It seems as though he hasn't gotten "smarter" as a pitcher, just throws and hopes, doesn't change speeds enough. He certainly has the ability to be at least a 3, not sure he has the head.

Watching Palmer on tonight's postgame makes me wonder how often he gets to talk to our pitchers. He makes a lot of sense just about all the time on what he sees with these young guys (tonight being Gausman), but it makes me wonder if it just goes out into the wind after his commentary airs. Is there some kind of regular consulation with him and our pitching staff? Would it undermine Wallace? Surely the O's realize what they have in him and his potential guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

o

15 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Lineout

K.J. GAUSMAN O (vs. RANGERS, 6/20)

IP:l 5 - PLUS

H:;; 9 ll(1 Home Run, 8 Singles)

R:l) 4

BB:)1 *

SO:)5

Pitches: 103 (65 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.37

* Gausman also had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (13 Strikes, 51 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 41 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 51 Balls)

36 (21 Strikes, 15 Balls)

16 (91 Strikes, 71 Balls)

61 (41 Strikes, 21 Balls) **

** Gausman did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

As usual, he pitches well enough to lose, he's back end of rotation starter, at best.

Watching Palmer on tonight's postgame makes me wonder how often he gets to talk to our pitchers. He makes a lot of sense just about all the time on what he sees with these young guys (tonight being Gausman), but it makes me wonder if it just goes out into the wind after his commentary airs. Is there some kind of regular consulation with him and our pitching staff? Would it undermine Wallace? Surely the O's realize what they have in him and his potential guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Palmer mentioned Gausman never shakes off the catcher and needs to take more control of the game. He is right as usual.

Gausman doesn't need a devastating curve for it to be effective. He needs to command it. And it would help if he could get it a little tighter. Just keep it down or bounce it and get batters off-balance with it. Maybe 8% - 10%...

What is going to raise him to the next level will be his command of the slider and increasing it usage. 20% - 25%.

He could cut back on the changeup when/if he can command the slider and curve.

Archived