Kevin Gausman believes the curve is his third pitch

wildcard

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was masterful. Great velocity and zip on his fastballs all night. Mixed in a change up and a breaking ball every so often to get them off of the heat. Best Oriole start of the year given who and where we were playing and it's importance.

One of the biggest differences I have noticed is Gausman is now willing to throw that slider to try to strike a guy out with 2 strikes. Earlier in the year that slider seemed like a show pitch only.

Absolutely electric. Amazing pace of play. Every time I'd look away for a split second he'd have thrown the ball already. And most of the time it was a strike. He was attacking.

Dempsey commented on this during the post game.

Gausman is a pitcher now and not a thrower. Gausman has corrected the issues he had earlier this year, when even on 1-2 counts he would throw a meatball over the middle of the plate. Pitching like real estate is all about location, location, location.

Random question from someone who could only watch the highlights: why on earth was Sandy Leon staring down Gausman after both of his strikeouts?

Because Kevin made him realize that his Cinderella season is coming to an end. (Leon is batting about twice--no kidding--what anyone expected.)

120th pitch? 98mph.
Dempsey commented on this during the post game.

Gausman is a pitcher now and not a thrower. Gausman has corrected the issues he had earlier this year, when even on 1-2 counts he would throw a meatball over the middle of the plate. Pitching like real estate is all about location, location, location.

Yes, he was hitting 97 and 98 regularly, but I also agree, it seems like it is an "easy" 97. He is getting ahead 0-2 and 1-2 consistently. Sometimes he goes down to 92 or 94. He isn't making mistakes or overthrowing. He seems to be better at knowing which guys he can blow it by (Leon, Bradley) and which guys he needs to use deception and location.

It actually didn't seem like his stuff was that dominant - only 6 K's. But he got the K's when it mattered and otherwise avoided mistakes.

o

17 out of the 24 outs that Gausman recorded came via the ground ball and the strikeout.

24 OUTS: 10 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 6 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

K.J. GAUSMAN oo (vs. RED SOX, 9/14)

IP:l 8

H:;; 4 ll(4 Singles)

R:l) 0

BB:)1

SO:)6

Pitches: 120 (84 Strikes, 36 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.43

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

14 (81 Strikes, 6 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls)

12 (91 Strikes, 3 Balls)

19 (15 Strikes, 4 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

o

This game (and Gausman's pitching) reminded me of this game against the Yankees, back in August of 1980.

Scott McGregor threw a 1-0 complete-game shutout. I was watching the game up here in Brewster (WPIX-11), and I wouldn't leave my seat in front of the TV set until the final out of the game was recorded.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198008170.shtml

o

19 OUTS: 5 Strikeouts, 5 Groundouts, 5 Lineouts, 2 Flyouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

K.J. GAUSMAN oo (vs. RED SOX, 9/14)

IP:l 6.33

H:;; 10 ll(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 7 Singles)

R:l) 5

BB:)1

SO:)5

Pitches: 101 (68 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.57

PITCHES BY INNING

18 (10 Strikes, 8 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 5 Balls)

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

11 (91 Strikes, 2 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

14 (10 Strikes, 4 Balls) *

* Gausman recorded 1 out before departing in the 7th inning.

Archived